Apple 23'' Cinema Display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MPHL, May 19, 2008.

1. MPHL macrumors regular

MPHL

So I just bought a new 17'' MBP for college next year and I really want to buy another display. I have been looking at the 23'' Cinema display...Mainly because I love the clean aluminum look and it would go great with my MBP. Any input or opinions on the display? Anything would help. Thanks!

2. Help! macrumors regular

If you look around here there are many discussions on monitors, with comparisons between the cinema displays and others.

3. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

I use this monitor at work and I love it. I did have a problem with it, however, and it turned out that it is a fairly common one once I did a google search. It seems that the power brick goes out (in my case, just before AppleCare had expired). Since the monitor won't turn on, people think that the problem is much worse, but all this is needed is a new power brick, which costs ~$100. So my advice is to get the monitor, but buy it with AppleCare.

4. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I've had mine for 3 weeks now and absolutely love it! The colors and images are always clean and sharp and it just looks good sitting there next to my iMac. :D

5. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

It might depend on what you want to use it for. I really wanted an Apple display, but went I ended up getting a 22" Viewsonic. Color/brightness etc. look great to me, it was definitely worth the substantial price difference...but hey if you've got the money might as well get the Apple :)

6. DarrenG macrumors regular

I've just purchased a 23" ACD to do dual display with my 24" iMac. I ummed and aahed about other brands for a while but am very happy with the ACD.

My only gripe is the lack of height adjustment, it's sitting on the box from my airport at the mo which is the ideal height to match the iMac. Quality etc is excellent and very happy with it.

7. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Lack of height adjustment is a real pain, having to raise it up using a cardboard box somewhat defeats the sleek lines of the display.
    I have a 23" ACD but when I decided to buy a 30", I went for the Dell. IMO every bit as good (or better) It has height adjustment and Speakers (a sound bar which costs extra) and you have the added bonus of the Dell being quite a bit cheaper as well.... :)

8. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

I got mine (23 inch ACD) in October 2006 - and at the time, the price difference between it and others was not too bad. However, times change, and the cost of the ACD is just too high relative to its feature set, which has been static since August 2006.

Why not go with the Dell 30 inch? Its S-IPS, just like the ACD, and it has a higher gamuet than the ACD as well. Oh, and you do not have to pay for the warranty either.

I do like the look, so at the very least, wait for WWDC, and there hight be a bump on revamp of it.

9. mward333 macrumors 6502a

mward333

I had the same problem with the power brick for one of my monitors (see my sig). It died within a few days of operation. I had AppleCare (always do), and Apple sent me a new one immediately. I've had no trouble since that point with the power bricks (which, by the way, do get quite warm!).

10. SDLSteve macrumors 6502

Buy the refurbed or go to amazon to get a little discount plus pay no tax.

11. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

Wow, that is very encouraging. I noticed someone mentioned about an HDMI connection and having to use an DVI->HDMI adapter. It looks like the monitor has an HDMI adapter.

I think the best bet is to wait a few weeks to see what comes of the conference and then make a move.

-R