Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

biggreenapple

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2008
This screen is a pretty slick companion to the new MacBooks, sure, but the trend towards glossy screens still sucks none the less. I really hope the redesigned 17's are available in Matte and that they keep at least one Cinema Display matte as well. These screens are seriously glossy and reflective. Even in the Apple store, I saw more of the florescent lights reflecting than I did the actual content on the screen. If I really wanted to stare at myself all day while I'm working, I'd just turn on my iSight instead!

Thank you.
These days I am scared of glossy. No, I am scared of ONLY glossy. when I read "...Rumors have suggested that Apple could be updating the rest of their Cinema Displays at Macworld San Francisco 2009 in January..." my first reaction is same thing happened to MBP will happen again. scared.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
This screen seems to be extremely glossy and reflective, just like the new MBPs. And no 'matte' option.

I still think Apple have really miscalculated the degree to which they're going to alienate their professional design audience with this.

I remember all through the 1990s and early 2000s that you would buy CRT monitors with special 'anti-glare' coatings, which was a clear selling point for graphics professionals. Really don't understand why Apple is completely ignoring this now, and making everything purely 'consumer' focussed. It really does seem like a mistake on their part.

A 'consumer' focussed computer monitor for $900, gee Apple, that makes a lot of sense in today's economy... :eek:

:rolleyes:

espoir

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2007
You obviously haven't read the countless threads explaining how their is no standard to response times and how many manufacturers provide numbers that aren't realistic, not offering rigorous enough testing for say white to black to white response times.

No, I haven't... I don't think though that Apple would underestimate specs of any of it's products.

sighlent

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2008
This screen seems to be extremely glossy and reflective, just like the new MBPs. And no 'matte' option.

I still think Apple have really miscalculated the degree to which they're going to alienate their professional design audience with this.

I remember all through the 1990s and early 2000s that you would buy CRT monitors with special 'anti-glare' coatings, which was a clear selling point for graphics professionals. Really don't understand why Apple is completely ignoring this now, and making everything purely 'consumer' focussed. It really does seem like a mistake on their part.

I haven't yet upgraded but I'm planning to get a new MBP and LED ACD. However the setting I'll be using it in won't be subject to glare so I'm not too worried about it. I've been using my girlfriends unibody MacBook to do some Flash and Illustrator work when I don't feel like being in the office and in all honesty the gloss of glass is far different than that of the plastic glossy LCD. Once the display is on and you're looking right at it, the glare is only barely visible over the black bezel areas. I haven't taken the thing outside yet, but not too concerned about using it there to do design work anyways.

sighlent

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2008
No, I haven't... I don't think though that Apple would underestimate specs of any of it's products.

A) Its not an underestimate, its a realistic spec. They opted not to give bogus response times of something like 0 or -1ms response time.

B) Apple doesn't make the LCD in question, they buy them and put hem in the housing they design.

pwn247

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2008
West Virginia, USA
Still way too expensive. There's no way- ever- that I'm paying $900 for a monitor. Sure- it's the only LED backlit desktop monitor on the market- but it's still extremely expensive.

Apple needs to quit boosting prices up. It's getting out of control!

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Still way too expensive. There's no way- ever- that I'm paying $900 for a monitor. Sure- it's the only LED backlit desktop monitor on the market- but it's still extremely expensive.

If it really is an IPS panel, go find me another manufacturer offering an LED backlit 24" IPS for less than $900.

sighlent

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2008

Wrong. The Samnsung XL24 is LED backlit and goes for over $2,000. Not to mention the LED ACD has the additional component cost of having the MagSafe power adapter and the iSight.

deadkenny

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2006
You obviously haven't read the countless threads explaining how their is no standard to response times and how many manufacturers provide numbers that aren't realistic, not offering rigorous enough testing for say white to black to white response times.

My guess is that the Cinema Display will - as the 24" iMac and the older CinemaDisplays - not have a cheap TN panel but a more expensiv (and more vibrant, color rich) (M)VA Panel where LCD screens with VA panels are at least as expensive, most others are acutually more expensive and for VA panels 14ms is quite good.

macbookairapple

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2008

So what do you think of companies who charge 1500 for monitors, are they also boosting up prices?

sighlent

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2008
Wow the Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP is down to $517. Apple better come through with some more of the LCD specs.

!¡ V ¡!

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007

Apple is making they the displays on all models glossy for one reasons only, so they in incorporate an inferior panel. The glossy is to attract the consumer/prosumer market not the pro market, these consumers are so taken in with all the reflection that masks the poor display panels.

Apple is also shooting itself in the foot my offering no matte option, I for one would have paid a premium for an Apple display with matte only, however I will not buy into this glossy crap. Thanks Apple I save more money buying 3rd party displays with more options then the crap that is presently being offered.

Glossy + Poor Quality Panel + Proprietary Display Port + Limited Port Selection + High Price = No Sale for Apple x More Money Being Saved for Me to Buying a 3rd Party Display. :D

billandy

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2007
Cambridge, United Kingdom
$900 for a 24" monitor. Wow! :eek:

I have to check it out in a store to see how good it really is.

the monitor's cost is largely driven up by the production cost of existing led backlit display panels. similar "LED" displays from samsung and others cost double that! think of it as the ssd of monitors, should get much cheaper soon when production ramps up and new more efficient production techniques are discovered

Adidas Addict

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
England
I was under the impression new Cinema Displays would be launched with this 'Macbook' screen. I don't think this is the new line of high end displays?

billandy

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2007
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Apple is making they the displays on all models glossy for one reasons only, so they in incorporate an inferior panel. The glossy is to attract the consumer/prosumer market not the pro market, these consumers are so taken in with all the reflection that masks the poor display panels.

Apple is also shooting itself in the foot my offering no matte option, I for one would have paid a premium for an Apple display with matte only, however I will not buy into this glossy crap. Thanks Apple I save more money buying 3rd party displays with more options then the crap that is presently being offered.

Glossy + Poor Quality Panel + Proprietary Display Port + Limited Port Selection + High Price = No Sale for Apple x More Money Being Saved for Me to Buying a 3rd Party Display. :D

displayport is NOT an apple "proprietary" invention, intel's pushing hard on it too! and as i said similar led displays easily cost you double!

CChrisG

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2008
I'm sure the current 24 glossy one is just for normal customers.
They will release a new line of cinema displays for pros in matte.
Well .. thats what I hope! :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.