Apple 27" vs. 30" Display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by CyberCat, Jan 9, 2011.

1. CyberCat macrumors member

Currently I have Duel 23" Apple Displays. Looking to upgrade in size, specifically for larger size so I'm leaning towards the 30" but wondering if it would be wiser to stick with the current gen 27" Apple display. Anyone have experience with each?

2. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

Honestly why so set on an apple display? There is a coupon circulating around that gives 25% off the Dell U3011 putting it just a little over $1100.00. At that price I would think that would be your best choice.

IMO 16:10 > 16:9

3. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Because 1) Remember the forum you're posting on and 2) Apple displays are pretty.

4. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

Seriously? uugghhh.

So someone would prefer a seriously outdated display ( 30" CD) over a brand new 30" display with a ton of features and inputs? That is craziness.

5. toxic macrumors 68000

possible drawback of the U3011 is it's wide-gamut. you'll have to go back to the 3007WFP for standard gamut.

I'd take a 30" over a 27" any day. matte and 16:10, for starters.

6. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

What's everybody's hard-on for inputs? Honestly I don't get it.

If you're plugging it in to a computer and you're using it ONLY for that, who cares what it comes with if it has one that connects to your computer just fine. I suppose the one upside I see are the card slots.

Seriously, everywhere I turn people are complaining about "lack of inputs".

7. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

How about the fact that unless you have some secret super psychic powers you don't know what you're hardware needs 6-12 months down the road will be.

A $900 + purchase such as this, should be able to work for a person for at least 3+ years if not much longer. Lets say like me, you buy a laptop down the road and decide you want to be able to connect both your laptop and desktop. Or you need display port and DVI, or HDMI, having options is a good thing.

That being said, multiple inputs is hardly the only advantage of the U3011. While the 27" ACD is a nice screen, 16:9 is not the best form factor IMO, and both the old 30" ACD and the new 27" only have 1 input, which for people like me is a deal breaker.

8. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I vote dell also. Apple displays are overpriced, and while the DVI only on the 30" is manageable, the miniDisplayPort only 27" is a no-no. If you wanted to use it with anything other than apple hardware, you're screwed.

9. diazj3, Jan 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2011

diazj3 macrumors 6502a

all I can say is.... wow :eek:

sorry, but somehow this response gave me a creepy flashback to an old old girlfriend...

yeah! and while we're on that, why would anybody need an swiss army knife? they should be banned! :D

just kidding...!

but seriously OP, consider the Dell display - better value for the money, better warranty, no-dead pixel policy, no glossy screen... and if you are set on Apple, get the 27" LED. The 30" LCD, as good as it is, is way outdated to justify the full price... unless you get a super deal or get it refurbished, IMO it's not worth it.

cheers!

10. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

I guess that's never bothered me personally since adapters aren't really a big deal and I'll never run a Laptop/Tower setup.

6–12 months down the road I'd still be using a Mac. If mine gets stolen then there's a pretty good chance the next Mac I buy will have the same ports.

11. toxic macrumors 68000

inputs is a factor if you want to hook it up to different devices, whether now or later. hardly anyone (probably no one other than Apple) uses mDP, it's all DP, HDMI, DVI, or VGA. that means you pay for a $900 display plus an adapter or three to get the right connection.

Cinemas don't have pivot or height adjustment. while not a deal-breaker, those aren't minor drawbacks in my book.

12. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

And what if you have 2 macs you want to connect to the same monitor at the same time? I have yet to see a kvm switch that includes mini display port.

13. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

14. Transporteur macrumors 68030

30" over 27" all the way.

Which one to get?
    Well, although I really like the Apple one (sitting in front of one right now :D), I also have to recommend the Dell display.
    Not that I'm not pleased with the Apple display (wouldn't have bought it if it sucked), but the DVI port really makes me worry a little.
    The Mac Pro (which is what I use it with) still ships with a DVI port, but personally I think this will be the last Apple computer that ships with that port. Unlikely that they keep the DVI port in the next revision.

The Dell comes with a DP, the only thing you need is a miniDP to DP adapter which is dirt cheap compared to the $100 miniDP to dualLink DVI adapter, which isn't really reliable by the way.
    It's not really the amount of inputs that makes it attractive, it's rather the fact that it does in fact have DP!

Unfortunately, the Dell only comes in Black. I don't really understand what is going on with the display industry these days. Only black displays, apart from maybe one or two silver ones. I don't want to have a black monolith on my desk!
    But hey, $1000 for a top notch 30"? I wouldn't think a second about that if I were in the market for a new display.

15. Ashok0, Jan 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011

Ashok0 macrumors regular

OP, keep in mind the DELL U3011 has a very, very aggressive antiglare coating. I bought the U3011 and the AG coating was a total deal breaker for me. I immediately returned it and bought an Apple LED Cinema Display 27" and wouldn't trade it for the world. That being said, if the DELL AG coating doesn't bother you, go for the DELL. I'm a PC guy but as far as inputs go, all the new AMD Radeons come with DisplayPort now. And if DVI is a must, you can buy the Atlona DVI to mDP converter. The only real drawback for me is that the ACD27" can't do 1080p natively, and upscaling 1080p to 1440p causes some video degradation. The U3011 is definitely much nicer for hooking up to an HDTV or console system, as it is equipped with a KILLER hardware scaler.

And R.Perez, I believe Atlona is now selling DisplayPort KVM switches.

16. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

I've owned an Apple 30" ACD, currently own a 27" and have used various Dell 30"ers. I'm perfectly happy with my 27" ACD for several reasons, which are as follows:

- iSight is built in, so I don't need a third party webcam and the loss of a USB port that entails. I have an old Apple iSight kicking around, but the quality is far less than the new ones built in to laptops and the ACD.
    - I don't need a billion inputs. One for my Mac Pro is fine, as I happen to have a pair of HDTVs for my consoles and other bits and bobs. I don't plan to need another input either.
    - No horrible anti-glare coating. The Apple 30" had quite a mild coating, but I noticed it now and then, but Dell's U2711 and their 30"ers have a very aggressive coating, and it drives my eyes crazy and adds "grain" to everything. Horrible. I have seen some brave souls who actually chemically strip this coating off, resulting in a standard glossy panel, but that is too far for me. I know my 27" ACD is a mirror, but my lighting is controlled and it doesn't reflect.
    - I bought my 27" for a shade under £750 on Apple Education. Dell's U2711 is actually a higher RRP by far than this (£899 AFAIK), and although the Dell is frequently on sale, I gained the iSight and MacBook chargers as well. I didn't feel like I'd been ripped off at all.

The 16:9 vs 16:10 debate is pointless. Even at 2560x1440 you have a very large desktop, and the panel is cheaper than the slightly larger 2560x1600 monitors.

17. Black107 macrumors regular

+1 The AG coating on the Dell Uxx11's is horrible. I returned my 2711 after 3 days.

18. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Apple Education... The only reason I have a 27" ACD (which is lovely, and I have even been offered a trade for a 30" and said no - purely as the built-in iSight is brilliant on my Mac Pro). - 16:10 would be nicer, but 1440 is enough vertical pixels for nearly anything...

19. AMDGAMER macrumors 6502

I really want that 27 cinema since I got the macbook air..it just seems like such a compliment to the system..turn it into a desktop whenever I want to.

20. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

I'm still undecided on mine... picked up the 2711 for a sweet 850 (CAD) during boxing week, meaning it was 200 less than the acd (1049 edu price in canada, even with our dollar at par or better)... got it yesterday and while I think it is a nice display I'm not sure if the AG is causing my eyes to be sore or if it is the sheer size over my 24.... and the brightness on this thing is crazy, why so bright dell? At least i have a few days to mull it over and see if it gets better or not...

21. Transporteur macrumors 68030

You'll get used to it. When I first got my 30" ACD I also noticed a slight sparkle effect, but after a few weeks, I totally forgot about that and focussed on what is behind the sparkle. :D

Crazy brightness? It's got only 350cd, which I'd consider standard these days.
    Just turn it down. I keep my Cinema (400CD btw) at 40% during the evening hours, but during the day it is always at 100% (got a large glass front in my office, though), so high brightness is actually quite nice to have. :p

22. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

I honestly think all these rants about the AG coating on matte ips screens is seriously overblown.

I have zero complaints about mine, but I would take the AG coating over glossy any day.

23. peskaa, Jan 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2011

peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

With Apple's 30" I'm tending to agree - I had mine for a year, and once I'd used it for a while I didn't notice the AG coating often, and certainly not enough for it to be an issue. Dell's coating is a lot more obvious though, and I've never been able to overlook it on the screen at work.

24. jeremy h macrumors 6502

I've got a Dell 3011, very nice indeed. Highly recommend it.