Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple will release a 31.6-inch 6K display with a Mini LED-like backlight design in 2019, according to Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who detailed his expectations for Apple's 2019 roadmap in a research note obtained by MacRumors.

kuo-2019-apple-roadmap-800x458.jpg

Apple left the display market back in 2016 with the discontinuation of the outdated Thunderbolt Display. Apple did, however, say they were working on a new screen alongside the new Mac Pro. Apple's Phil Schiller said in 2017:
With regards to the Mac Pro, we are in the process of what we call "completely rethinking the Mac Pro." We're working on it. We have a team working hard on it right now, and we want to architect it so that we can keep it fresh with regular improvements, and we're committed to making it our highest-end, high-throughput desktop system, designed for our demanding pro customers.

As part of doing a new Mac Pro -- it is, by definition, a modular system -- we will be doing a pro display as well. Now you won't see any of those products this year; we're in the process of that. We think it's really important to create something great for our pro customers who want a Mac Pro modular system, and that'll take longer than this year to do.
Kuo describes the new monitor as a "6k3k" display.

Article Link: Apple Said to Release 31.6-Inch 6K Display With Mini LED-Like Backlight Design in 2019

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
Dang, strong news day for being Sunday!

So, I'm guessing this means the next iMac redesign will also have a 31.6" screen for the larger model, and probably a 25" screen for the smaller model.

And that image seems to imply no Apple Watch Series 5 until 2020, which is fine by me!

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2017
I was thinking the same thing because an iMac is nearly the exact same dim's as a 32" monitor, so lose the chin, and you have a brand new 32" iMac/Pro. So it would follow with an external display. However, jumping to logical conclusions rarely align with Apple's reality (distortion field), so I'm not convinced.

Reactions: sunwukong

EightyTwenty

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2015
Way too big, imo.

Have no idea why people want to sit right in front of massive television-sized displays. It looks gaudy. Same with the massive phones they make now.

Hope they make a smaller version, but I doubt they will.

EightyTwenty

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2015
I was thinking the same thing because an iMac is nearly the exact same dim's as a 32" monitor, so lose the chin, and you have a brand new 32" iMac/Pro. So it would follow with an external display. However, jumping to logical conclusions rarely align with Apple's reality (distortion field), so I'm not convinced.

Except it’s not getting taller, it’s getting wider. Kuo says new monitor has a 2:1 aspect ratio.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.