Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

095446-snow_leopard_question.jpg

As noted by 9 to 5 Mac, Apple yesterday seeded a new version of Mac OS X 10.6.5, termed Build 10H562, to developers. The new version comes only one week after the release of Build 10H555, but even so marks a rapid increment of seven build numbers.

According to reports, the latest build of Mac OS X 10.6.5 continues to cite no documented known issues and once again asks developers to focus their testing on 3D Graphics, Printing, QuickTime, Time Machine, and USB Devices.

Apple initially seeded Mac OS X 10.6.5 builds at approximately one-week intervals beginning in mid-August, but switched to two-week intervals in early September and used that schedule for the previous three seeds. The switch to back to a one-week interval suggests that Apple may be putting the final touches on the release in advance of a public release to support iOS 4.2 when that update launches next month.

Article Link: Apple Accelerates Mac OS X 10.6.5 Developer Seeds With Build 10H562

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
This is a whole lot of testing. :p

Why does it seem like a higher number of test builds than usual? Maybe I'm just noticing them more lately. Not sure why. Higher than average reporting on these builds?

propynyl

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2007
AirPrint

Great, maybe now I'll finally be able to get AirPrint to work on my iPad. Or maybe we'll have to wait for 4.2 beta 4?

Last edited by a moderator:

aardwolf

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2007

Why does it seem like a higher number of test builds than usual? Maybe I'm just noticing them more lately. Not sure why. Higher than average reporting on these builds?

Not higher reporting, you're right. I'm a tester, and we've been getting them faster lately.

Lasse86b

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; da-dk) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

I'm crossing my fingers for Tuesday as well, but any word yet of the openGL-support+version in this build? Specificially GLSL 1.3 and uniform_buffer extensions? Rob Barris of Valve's support forums wouldn't get specific about the performance, only saying that it hadn't regressed since the Snow Leopard Graphics Update. On top of that, Blizzard's now requiring 10.6.5 in the newest Warcraft expansion, implying that some of their new graphics effects benefit performance-wise from the update. Anybody able to corroborate this? Have a nice weekend everyone!

MacsRgr8

macrumors 604
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Love the fact that 3D grfx is a focus.
I wonder if X-Plane 9 can benefit from these (probably) updated drivers. Getting the (still not available) 5870 for my 2008 8 Core 2.8 Mac Pro over my 4870 won't help for X-Plane... :(

boz0

macrumors regular
May 21, 2007
/dev/null
Anybody able to corroborate this?

Unless I'm mistaken, developers getting the test builds aren't allowed to discuss them, or even confirm what bugfixes are included.

That's too bad, too, as I'm waiting to see whether 10.6.5 fixes the HDMI audio glitch they introduced with 10.6.4. If it doesn't, it'll be back to 10.6.3 for me ...

Riemann Zeta

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
I'm crossing my fingers for Tuesday as well, but any word yet of the openGL-support+version in this build? Specificially GLSL 1.3 and uniform_buffer extensions? Rob Barris of Valve's support forums wouldn't get specific about the performance, only saying that it hadn't regressed since the Snow Leopard Graphics Update. On top of that, Blizzard's now requiring 10.6.5 in the newest Warcraft expansion, implying that some of their new graphics effects benefit performance-wise from the update. Anybody able to corroborate this? Have a nice weekend everyone!
Well OpenGL 3.0 is not there yet (still missing GLSL 1.3), but performance of the OpenGL stack that is implemented is dramatically better than in 10.6.4 (even with the "Graphics Update").

jrath1

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2005
I really hope it fixes the smb server slowdowns I have. Tired of the beach balls.

Lasse86b

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; da-dk) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Oh that's wonderful to hear! And so many useful knowledgable replies - thank you!

With the openGL-stack performing better (and I'm not gonna pretend I thoroughly understand this) it remains to be seen which applications or 3d games will benefit from this, am I right?

On a related note, does anyone know why OS X only supports MSAA? as far as I can understand, FSAA is more efficient with improved visual fidelity, but it dosn't seem to be supported in any 3d games?

mex4eric

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
Lion

Maybe a few more creeping Lion UI features, grey scroll bars on iTunes, disappearing scroll bars on FaceTime, in 10.6.5, well before the Lion launch next June.

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
I really hope it fixes the smb server slowdowns I have. Tired of the beach balls.

Yeah that would be awesome. Unfortunately I have a feeling they fixed what they thought they needed to there in 10.6.4, and the slowdowns are here to stay; it's no longer a point of focus in the notes there :(.

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
Does 10.6.5 still have that Adobe crap in it?

Flash websites?
There's a museum for that.

Maybe Apple could do us all a favor and bundle ClickToFlash with 10.6.5.
And have it turned on by default.

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
Yeah, right now I'm more excited about this point release than I am for Lion.. Real tangible 3D performance boost > minor interface restructuring. Saying that - I'm sure they have a lot up their sleeve for Lion, as always!

macintoshtoffy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
New Zealand

The delta is 661MB and the combo is 990MB which is a jump of 100MB for the combo - a lot of stuff must have been touched in the recent update, especially compared to 10.6 release that previous updates hadn't touched and improved since the latest update too. I wonder whether this is going to be one of the last big pushes as to free up their time to focus on Lion development.

Btw, I saw the latest webkit tag and it appears that a minor Safari update is in the works (531.19.4), probably 5.0.3 or maybe they'll jump to 5.1 because 534.10 seems to be focusing on getting webkit2 complete which might end up being Safari 6.0.

heisetax

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2004
Omaha, NE
Mac news finally

This is usually all of the Mac news that there is from Apple. The iPod, iPhone & iPad are not Macs by any stretch of the imagination.

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth
Unless I'm mistaken, developers getting the test builds aren't allowed to discuss them, or even confirm what bugfixes are included.

You are 100% correct. They are all working under NDA's. (non disclosure agreements) A legal document that I certainly wouldn't want to violate. Especially when it's Apple... :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.