Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
A bit better than the hateful left wing scam front called "Southern Poverty Law Center" but still not great. Check the details before blindly handing over your money.

I'm all for helping, but shenanigans always result from these sorts of things. When the leaders of the Red Cross are very wealthy people, that gives me pause.

You don't get paid where you work? If someone is dedicating their life to run an organization is it you're position they should live in poverty?

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Honestly, I am not sure that the Red Cross is the correct organization to donate through, there are plenty of questions concerning how money was spent in Haiti:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/04/red-cross-haiti-report_n_7511080.html

To be fair, here is their response:
http://www.redcross.org/news/article/The-Real-Story-of-the-6-Homes-Answering-Questions-about-Haiti

I honestly can't say which of these is correct, but I CAN say that there are other charities that don't have these red flags associated with them and I would be more likely to donate to them. But each should make up their own mind based on the facts presented.

I'm not defending Red Cross but when you're such a huge organization you're going to get targeted. No one would care if Saint Johnson's church took 30% of the donations to help cover the salaries of the volunteers that missed work.

This is especially true coming from sites that would prefer private organizations stay away to allow government to save the day.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
You don't get paid where you work? If someone is dedicating their life to run an organization is it you're position they should live in poverty?
Not making a living is one thing, but making too much money means you're taking a lot of it, and deriving most of your income from the misfortunes, work, and suffering off others.

kdarling

macrumors P6
No, im claiming just because they haven't announced it, doesn't mean they haven't given or are working out something.

Oh sure. Nobody said otherwise.

What I said was that if/when it happens, Apple will announce it:

Using all known past history, Apple will say something if/when they donate to disaster relief.

I think we're saying the same thing.

I listed what they had done in the past. That does not mean they're not going to do something in the future.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
I'm looking into if Steve Jobs Apple ever gave out donations, from what I've heard he has but was private about it.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Donate direct to organizations that are actually out in the field helping. Tim Crook just wants recognition for doing nothing and earning interest off of holding the donations.

lazard

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
Never understood the point of donating through a company rather than directly to the aid organization unless the company is doing some type of donation match.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
In fact, Jobs claimed the opposite. He told his biographer that he thought he was doing more to change the world by making great products available, than he could via charity.
That's real shocker if he stated that. One should keep in mind that many cannot afford what Apple makes.

Reactions: ackmondual

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Donate direct to organizations that are actually out in the field helping. Tim Crook just wants recognition for doing nothing and earning interest off of holding the donations.

What recognition? He puts up a link or button to donate? Is he going to go out and say I, Tim, am donating all this money? If anything I'm sure he'll say Apple users donated this.

Never understood the point of donating through a company rather than directly to the aid organization unless the company is doing some type of donation match.

The company I work for is collecting donations at the checkout register. 100% is going to Red Cross, Salvation Army, and local food banks (I think! I'm not at work so don't remember for sure). This make it very easy for those to donate. How would a 70 year old person with a dumb phone donate to a charity directly?

its93rc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Texas
Texas food banks:
Houston Food Bank
832-369-9390
houstonfoodbank.org

Galveston Food Bank
409-945-4232
galvestoncountyfoodbank.org

Food Bank of the Golden Crescent (Victoria)
361-578-0591
victoriafoodbank.org
Closed Friday

Corpus Christi Food Bank
361-887-6291
foodbankcc.com

Southeast Texas Food Bank (Beaumont)
409-839-8777
setxfoodbank.org

Food Bank of the Rio Grande Valley (Pharr)
956-682-8101
foodbankrgv.com

Brazos Valley Food Bank (Bryan)
979-779-3663
bvfb.org

Central Texas Food Bank (Austin)
512-282-2111
centraltexasfoodbank.org

San Antonio Food Bank
210-337-3663
safoodbank.org

Ref:
http://www.houstonpress.com/restaur...for-hurricane-harvey-how-you-can-help-9735249

Local and national non-Red Cross orgs:
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2017/08/27/how_to_help_hurricane_harvey_victims.html

I'm from Texas and I'm currently in the RGV and we're okay (there's no rain here). I appreciate the help you're providing by linking to these but only the first two are helping people in immediate flood danger.

Lershac

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2008
Baton Rouge, LA USA
Having been through what Houston is going through I will chip in my Red Cross story. There is misinformation in this forum.

In 2016 areas around Baton Rouge got 30+ inches of rain and there was catastrophic flooding. My house got 3', my daughters house got 4', my parents 4', my niece got 6'+.

Within a few days the Red Cross was there helping. Initially there were some stumbles. For example the first few meals they distributed were poor. I got 3 chicken nuggets and a compartment of canned peas and water for a couple of meals (but it was something and it was appreciated). Local churches and charity workers did a much better job of spinning up and providing initially.

But the Red Cross was still there and handing out food and help a month later, while the other charities had become not as regular. And the food got better, much better. And they gave out tools and equipment to help us get back on our feet.

There was some local hooraw over when the Red Cross would take over a shelter or operation and they implemented "their way" of doing things. But they had reasons (some good and some not so) for the way they do things.

Point of all this being they have an infrastructure for moving aid into areas affected and they can deploy massive help in massive numbers just about anywhere in a day or three.

Donate to them if you feel like helping. Donate to local organizations if that makes you feel better about it, they do good work too. If you don't want to donate, don't I certainly won't hold it against you.

The recover in Houston will take years. People will live in their unfinished homes and persevere. We are almost done rebuilding but there are maybe 10% of homes in my area that still need to *start* rebuilding or be torn down.

It's a tragedy and a loss to all affected.

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
Did you give back? Other than by organizing this program you can't assume Apple didn't "give back".

If they were matching donations I'm sure it would be splashed everywhere on the banner... I don't see it. Many U.K. Companies do this and match donations. If it's a program apple are promoting why wouldn't they?

Let's not get fanboy over this, it's a reasonable question to ask.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
If they were matching donations I'm sure it would be splashed everywhere on the banner... I don't see it. Many U.K. Companies do this and match donations. If it's a program apple are promoting why wouldn't they?

Let's not get fanboy over this, it's a reasonable question to ask.
Let's not get anti-Apple over this. It's not a reasonable question to ask.
A. Have you given back twice or thrice for every disaster scenario?
B. Expect for profit companies to replace the old adage;"charity begins at home".
C. You don't know what they are planning above and beyond this. Even if it's nothing they are providing a conduit so people like you can actually participate and not "bash" a for profit company for not giving what they consider to be enough.

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
From Charity Navigator:

"If you're looking for a local charity to support in the wake of Hurricane Harvey please consider

Houston Food Bank,

Food Bank of Corpus Christi,

Houston Humane Society, or

San Antonio Humane Society.

These highly-rated organizations are located in the most-affected areas and are providing support to individuals and animals."

https://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=content.view&cpid=5239

In contrast, American Red Cross gets only 3 of 4 stars in their ratings and, as noted, there are serious concerns about their overpaid executives, limited aid to the people in need, and a string of scandals.

Reactions: tonyr6 and kdarling

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
Let's not get anti-Apple over this. It's not a reasonable question to ask.
A. Have you given back twice or thrice for every disaster scenario?
B. Expect for profit companies to replace the old adage;"charity begins at home".
C. You don't know what they are planning above and beyond this. Even if it's nothing they are providing a conduit so people like you can actually participate and not "bash" a for profit company for not giving what they consider to be enough.

Given I own just about every apple product going how am I in the slightest "anti apple"? That's a completely childish response to a grown up reasonable question about an organisation and it's a perfectly reasonable question.

Given your adage and motto why would anyone give?? I can see we won't need to communicate on this forum going forward.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Given I own just about every apple product going how am I in the slightest "anti apple"? That's a completely childish response to a grown up reasonable question about an organisation and it's a perfectly reasonable question.

Given your adage and motto why would anyone give?? I can see we won't need to communicate on this forum going forward.
You may own every Apple product and still be "anti-Apple" against the management. Your childish response of fanboy started this. And no it's not a reasonable question to ask in the context of what you believed Apple is not doing.

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
As to evacuations...

Let's avoid either-or, simplistic thinking and policy analysis!

The choice wasn't between doing an unplanned, uncoordinated mess of a mass evacuation a la Rita and doing nothing! Instead, as several leading emergency planners have noted, the city and state should have ordered targeted, limited, but mandatory evacuations from the worst flood plain, flood-prone areas. That would have gotten more people out of harm's way early -- without massive tie-ups -- and relieved some of the current burden on the search-and-rescue teams.

Our hearts go out to the people of the area. It's devastating. Like Katrina, though, much of it could have been avoided with smarter public policy, aggressive anti-global warming actions, updated building codes, and controlled development. Unchecked building in flood plains -- and paving over land that could have absorbed water -- were a recipe for disaster. We are angered by the lack of effective regulation and insurance requirements. We feel for those whose homes were flooded and now realize that they should have gotten flood insurance. Regardless of one's take on that, though, the stories of devastation are still gut-wrenching.

For those interested in helping out with donations -- and wisely wish to avoid the Red Cross -- see the many alternatives listed in this article.

"Where to Donate to Harvey Victims (and How to Avoid Scams)"

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/28/...n=span-abc-region&WT.nav=span-abc-region&_r=0

nsayer

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Silicon Valley
In fact, Jobs claimed the opposite. He told his biographer that he thought he was doing more to change the world by making great products available, than he could via charity.

That he said that does not necessarily imply that he did not make charitable donations. 10 + 1 > 10.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.