Apple Accepting Donations for Hurricane Harvey Relief Efforts

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 27, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has added banners to its United States website and iTunes Store in an effort to encourage its customers to donate to those affected by Hurricane Harvey.

[​IMG]

Similar to past relief efforts, users can choose to donate $5, $10, $25, $50, $100, or $200, and Apple will transfer 100 percent of the proceeds to the American Red Cross, which is providing relief efforts for people in the path of Hurricane Harvey. All donations will be processed as normal iTunes purchases through a connected Apple ID.

Apple CEO Tim Cook tweeted about the donations early this morning, as rescue workers in Houston and other parts of southeast Texas attempt to help residents trapped in their homes by "catastrophic flooding." Harvey made landfall late Friday night as a Category 4 hurricane and has since been downgraded to a tropical storm, which is expected to stay in the region over the next few days.

Apple is known to create donation pages across its various storefronts in the wake of natural disasters. In the past, Apple has collected Red Cross relief funds for the British Columbia Wildfire, Hurricane Matthew, the 2016 Louisiana floods, the 2015 Nepal earthquake, and many more.

Article Link: Apple Accepting Donations for Hurricane Harvey Relief Efforts

2. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Before I donate, anyone know ther percentage the Red Cross actually gives out of every dollar?

3. dominiongamma macrumors 65816

I don't trust the Red Cross no thanks. It will go into the pocketbook of the CEO probably.

4. styymy macrumors member

5. sparkhill macrumors regular

6. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

They say that one is lucky if 50% of the money one donates gets to the cause. That is why I prefer to donate "stuff" instead of cash.

7. pat500000 macrumors G3

pat500000

Donated directly to non profit organization. No need to donate to rc.

8. cicalinarrot macrumors regular

cicalinarrot

Ok but does the donor certificate come in space grey?

9. zaphodb3 macrumors member

This isn't a foolproof method either. For one, it's hard to be sure whether 'stuff' gets to the people who need it most just like with cash resources, unless you're hand-delivering it to someone in need. For another, an organization has a better idea of what's urgently needed *now*, and money is a more flexible donation in serving changing needs.

10. sza Suspended

No thanks, we already paid too much tax.

11. norbinhouston macrumors regular

Thanks for the help. I can’t describe how devastating the flooding is in Houston. Most went to bed last night thinking we survived Harvey just fine but then it started raining. So a lot of us were surprised to find water in our houses when we woke up! Some one posted we got a years worth in 24 hours!

12. BaltimoreMediaBlog macrumors 6502a

BaltimoreMediaBlog

Donate to The United Way or The United Nations.

At least you'll be certain that 100% of it goes to support dictators, oligarchies, luxury yachts, & millionaires.

There won't be any question there. :D

13. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

14. scrapesleon macrumors 6502a

scrapesleon

didn't Texas people had enough time to evacuate its a no from me

15. travelsheep macrumors 6502

travelsheep

I know from one disaster event in Japan where money was collected here in Austria, and I know from first hand that not one cent arrived in Japan.

For such disaster events here in Austria (Europe) the Austrian government does all the work, financing and management. No donations needed. I love my government for this. I don't see why privately held organizations should manage such events, it's just a big money machine tricking the gullible good hearted people. After all why do we pay up to 50% taxes???

16. Tubamajuba macrumors 68020

Exactly. We're hurting down here in Houston and the Red Cross has already been able to set up at least one shelter at a local high school. I know there are better charities out there, but down here we just can't be too picky right now. It's already the worst flooding event in Houston's modern history, and we have several more days of heavy rain to go.

17. BigHonkingDeal, Aug 27, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2017

BigHonkingDeal macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

Not sure about the percentage of donations going to the actual cause but I know every time I see a report about a fire or other emergency affecting people there are Red Cross people on the scene offering help.....

A donation to the Red Cross is probably better than donating money to one of the Mega Churches.

to my point.....

Joel Osteen’s Houston Megachurch Blasted For Closing As Thousands Are Displaced

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...aa4e4b0821444c513d8?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

18. JosephAW macrumors 68020

JosephAW

Looks like 89% all those donations from Apple to the SPLC fo towards fundraising and administration. Only 11% go towards defending people.
    The Red Cross looks like a better investment.

19. ScottishDuck macrumors 6502a

ScottishDuck

20. Avieshek Suspended

Avieshek

21. truettray macrumors 6502

truettray

Apple's use of the American Red Cross is as outdated as their use of GUI elements from 2003 in this graphic.

22. joueboy macrumors 65816

You can Google how much their CEO make and the benefits he/she received. It's unbelievable such an organization like this paying people that much money. While some or their workers are just volunteers being undermined by the system.

23. 0970373 Suspended