Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nocturnum

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2014
Europe
Clever or not, unfortunately all too real.

Well, commenters here have some reasonable doubts about the whole operation. I support the notion of helping each other, but not through the den of hyenas. Likes attract likes and it would appear that Apple and Red Cross share a lot of the same values in the area of financial machinations.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Well, commenters here have some reasonable doubts about the whole operation. I support the notion of helping each other, but not through the den of hyenas. Likes attract likes and it would appear that Apple and Red Cross share a lot of the same values in the area of financial machinations.
Seems like that commentary was aimed at something other than that.

Rickiee

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2014
Netherlands
Wonder why they don't allow me to donate from The Netherlands. By leveraging Apple customers worldwide, even small donations would add up to huge amounts. With the simplicity of donating though the App Store, I think a lot of people would donate that wouldn't go through the trouble of donating through other channels.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
LOL. You troll my post and then call me the troll. :rolleyes:Okay. Have a good night.

(should I cite my sources that its a good night?)

Im not trying to put you on the spot or be disrespectful to you, or get involved in your dispute with @Karma*Police , but you do seem to have a lot of hate towards Apple on here from your past posts on Macrumors. More so than the usual.

I guess my question would be for you is why so much hate? You stated you worked for Apple as an Apple Care Employee and you own the SE accordingly. I just feel you get caught up in these Apple hate rants, rather it be about Watch bands, Apple Watch, other hardware, Apple's expansions into Other countries, more specifically India or anything else.

Just curious why?

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
http://www.apple.com

If you go Apple's web site, you will see this (screenshot) at the bottom where you can click to donate. It seems pretty obvious Apple is trying to get the word out on this to help raise money.

Do you seriously think Apple is taking a 30% fee for this or are you just trolling?

View attachment 645661
To be fair, there was that thing with Taylor Swift calling Apple out on not paying artists during Apple Music's free, 90 day trial period.

galrito

macrumors regular
May 4, 2010
Apple only creates jobs when it opens a retail store. All of its job creation lately has been overseas....India maps center, China r&d, France r&d. They have probably caused a lot of job losses with all the acquisitions they've made in the US to steal tech and shut down the company.

Apple is not an US company, it's a multinational company.
It's only fair to create jobs in every country they do business.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
To be fair, there was that thing with Taylor Swift calling Apple out on not paying artists during Apple Music's free, 90 day trial period.
I'm not seeing the connection. It says right on the page 100% of your donation goes to the Red Cross, so that means Apple gets no cut. Are you saying that is a lie?

Cineplex

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2016
Im not trying to put you on the spot or be disrespectful to you, or get involved in your dispute with @Karma*Police , but you do seem to have a lot of hate towards Apple on here from your past posts on Macrumors. More so than the usual.

I guess my question would be for you is why so much hate? You stated you worked for Apple as an Apple Care Employee and you own the SE accordingly. I just feel you get caught up in these Apple hate rants, rather it be about Watch bands, Apple Watch, other hardware, Apple's expansions into Other countries, more specifically India or anything else.

Just curious why?

LOL. Don’t worry about it. This is a place for discussions. ;)

For starters, once you work for Apple...your happy image of Apple is shattered to pieces. I worked for them seventeen years ago when they were starting to turn around. The culture shift from 99/00 Apple to toady has been huge, and most don't see it. I still have contacts at Apple and what I hear from them paints a picture of an Apple that isn't the same company today. Despite all the corporate propaganda, they do not give a crap about employees. Once the retail stores came online I got to see how they treat them. I was asked to help work with newly minted geniuses in a nearby store when it opened. Several AppleCare reps were sent to the front lines. At first the retail culture was the same as Apple corporates culture. Then they made the decision to staff the stores with managers and employees from place like the GAP and such. When they hired the first round of staff they had competency and product knowledge tests...after 2 months that went out the window. Within 6 months you had people working in the stores that had no product knowledge and zero passion. Today it is much worse and while the employees are paid better, it is a retail job that has the same culture as a GAP. Very painful to see if you are an Apple fan and experienced Apple Stores when they had an Apple culture to them.

The second reason I can't stand Apple today is the total abandonment of the professional video and photography markets. While at Apple I worked with the retail teams to bring Final Cut Pro training to the retail stores and worked with the sales people to train them how to sell and understand the pro video products. Apple was very dedicated to that market and spent a lot of resources on it. It was great to see Apple put the whole package together and be the #1 creative resource company providing tools and training. Then they gave up. No transition plans for software or the people using them...just cold turkey after spending months selling these products to the small houses, studios, and prosumers. I was working for a large company and Apple sold us a Final Cut Server system (very very large), and I spend tons of money building out the software to fit our workflow. It was ONE WEEK later and they killed Final Cut Server. They didn't tell anyone but they lost all the support staff for it so there wasn't anyone that could help. They had no problem taking almost $100,000 in money for software, servers, workstations, and software knowing it was going to be EOL'ed. Apple offered us nothing but a note about support ending soon. Next they killed off Shake. They offered us the source code for $10,000 so we could continue to support it. What a load of crap. So here I am left with a dead product, no support, and employees only trained in that software suite. It was just one bad thing after another. I built an entire division of a company up with EOL'ed equipment. Was not happy. Today there are very few options for pros in an Apple workflow. In fact for all the side work I do now, I had to buy a Dell 8900. I would need a MacPro for the work I do and it is just too much money for what you get. I spent like $1300 (ebay referb deals) for a top of the line Dell and it gave me much more capabilities. It infuriates me that I had to go that route. And without going into details, I spend many hours complaining to Apple about the situation over the years and the last time I talked with them they told be point blank they don’t care about the pro market.

To me, Apple has just lost its way. Having such an intimate knowledge of Apple from the inside I can see it more than most people. Today its $10k watches and iPhone. The Apple that made “tools for the mind” is long dead. I was with them since the Macintosh SE, so to see it go in this direction is just depressing. The more they push into foreign countries, the more they move away from the core Apple. But I guess it doesn’t matter since that company is long gone anyway. Never in a million years did I think Apple would turn into a phone and watch company selling to douche bags in luxury malls and ignoring the creative pros that built them.

I think we all had high hopes for :apple: in the 90’s…this wasn’t it.

nocturnum

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2014
Europe

For starters, once you work for Apple...your happy image of Apple is shattered to pieces. I worked for them seventeen years ago when they were starting to turn around. The culture shift from 99/00 Apple to toady has been huge, and most don't see it. I still have contacts at Apple and what I hear from them paints a picture of an Apple that isn't the same company today. Despite all the corporate propaganda, they do not give a crap about employees. Once the retail stores came online I got to see how they treat them. I was asked to help work with newly minted geniuses in a nearby store when it opened. Several AppleCare reps were sent to the front lines. At first the retail culture was the same as Apple corporates culture. Then they made the decision to staff the stores with managers and employees from place like the GAP and such. When they hired the first round of staff they had competency and product knowledge tests...after 2 months that went out the window. Within 6 months you had people working in the stores that had no product knowledge and zero passion. Today it is much worse and while the employees are paid better, it is a retail job that has the same culture as a GAP. Very painful to see if you are an Apple fan and experienced Apple Stores when they had an Apple culture to them.

The second reason I can't stand Apple today is the total abandonment of the professional video and photography markets. While at Apple I worked with the retail teams to bring Final Cut Pro training to the retail stores and worked with the sales people to train them how to sell and understand the pro video products. Apple was very dedicated to that market and spent a lot of resources on it. It was great to see Apple put the whole package together and be the #1 creative resource company providing tools and training. Then they gave up. No transition plans for software or the people using them...just cold turkey after spending months selling these products to the small houses, studios, and prosumers. I was working for a large company and Apple sold us a Final Cut Server system (very very large), and I spend tons of money building out the software to fit our workflow. It was ONE WEEK later and they killed Final Cut Server. They didn't tell anyone but they lost all the support staff for it so there wasn't anyone that could help. They had no problem taking almost $100,000 in money for software, servers, workstations, and software knowing it was going to be EOL'ed. Apple offered us nothing but a note about support ending soon. Next they killed off Shake. They offered us the source code for $10,000 so we could continue to support it. What a load of crap. So here I am left with a dead product, no support, and employees only trained in that software suite. It was just one bad thing after another. I built an entire division of a company up with EOL'ed equipment. Was not happy. Today there are very few options for pros in an Apple workflow. In fact for all the side work I do now, I had to buy a Dell 8900. I would need a MacPro for the work I do and it is just too much money for what you get. I spent like $1300 (ebay referb deals) for a top of the line Dell and it gave me much more capabilities. It infuriates me that I had to go that route. And without going into details, I spend many hours complaining to Apple about the situation over the years and the last time I talked with them they told be point blank they don’t care about the pro market.

To me, Apple has just lost its way. Having such an intimate knowledge of Apple from the inside I can see it more than most people. Today its $10k watches and iPhone. The Apple that made “tools for the mind” is long dead. I was with them since the Macintosh SE, so to see it go in this direction is just depressing. The more they push into foreign countries, the more they move away from the core Apple. But I guess it doesn’t matter since that company is long gone anyway. Never in a million years did I think Apple would turn into a phone and watch company selling to douche bags in luxury malls and ignoring the creative pros that built them.

You could have not expressed it better. Cheers!

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Apple: we have 180 billion dollars stashed outside the country that we are refusing to pay taxes on but you should donate to the Red Cross through us, oh and we aren't going to match your donation.

Me: #!%* You.

Apple is a publicly traded company. Those billions belong to the shareholders. They can't just do whatever they want with it. If they donate, then it's only because the shareholders allow it and believe it's for the good of the company in the long run.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Apple is a publicly traded company. Those billions belong to the shareholders. They can't just do whatever they want with it. If they donate, then it's only because the shareholders allow it and believe it's for the good of the company in the long run.
Not exactly. If Time Cook decided tomorrow to donate two billion to the Red Cross, he could and he does not in any way need the shareholder's permission.

Now in the aftermath of that, Cook would have to answer to a board of directors who presumably would be unhappy and perhaps even fire him. But that does not undo the donation.

Or the board might even be convinced by Cook that acts of charity are good for the company's image, and long term increase stock value, and they are okay with it.

If the board of directors failed to act, shareholders could revolt and at the annual shareholder's meeting nominate and elect replacement board members, but that is where their recourse ends. This varies depending on the company's bylaws and I'm not familiar with Apple's, but it would work similar to what I described.

In theory, if the shareholders could prove Cook intentionally acted in a way that devalued the stock, they could sue him for violating his fiduciary responsibility to the stock holders. But that would be a tough case to prove.

I think maybe you and I are saying kind of the same thing, but shareholders only have indirect control through their ability to toss board members typically.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Thank you for sharing this to me and the other Forum members.

Reactions: Cineplex

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
I'm not seeing the connection. It says right on the page 100% of your donation goes to the Red Cross, so that means Apple gets no cut. Are you saying that is a lie?
No. To elaborate...

When Apple Music was first announced that it would let users do a free trial period for up to 3 months (they would have to pay 3 months after when Apple Music first became available), they also announced that participating artists would NOT get paid during this time. Many thought that this wasn't right for Apple to do this. Taylor Swift then criticized Apple for such a practice, and that shaming lead to Apple to change their minds and announce artists WILL be paid during that trial period.

Without checking the fine print, it'd be my guess too that even through this means, 100% would go to the Red Cross. However, given that incident, I'd be on the fence as to which way it would be about them taking a cut.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.