Apple Accepting Mercy Corps Donations to Help People Affected by Flooding in Kerala, India

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 22, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today added banners to the App Store and iTunes Store on Mac and iOS devices as well as its homepage allowing customers to donate to Mercy Corps to support those who have been affected by massive flooding in Kerala, India.

Flooding began in Kerala earlier this summer with the arrival of monsoon rains, and picked up again on August 8 following days of torrential downpour. Approximately 420 people have died since the flooding began, and more than a million are living in relief camps.

[​IMG]

Apple is allowing customers to donate to Mercy Corps using credit and debit cards that are already on file with the iTunes Store and App Store for a no-hassle donation process. Apple customers can donate $5, $10, $25, $50, $100, or $200, 100 percent of which goes to Mercy Corps.

Apple often uses the iTunes Store and App Stores to raise money for charity during major disasters. Apple recently collected money on behalf of the American Red Cross to help fight California wildfires, and Apple has also collected donations for major disasters like the 2015 Nepal earthquake, the 2013 Philippines typhoon, Hurricane Sandy in 2012, the 2011 Japan earthquake and tsunami, and the 2010 earthquake in Haiti.

Mercy Corps is a global humanitarian aid organization that says its mission is to "Alleviate suffering, poverty and oppression by helping people build secure, productive and just communities."

From the period between August 13 to August 20, Kerala received 18.5 inches of rainfall, an above average amount caused by two bands of heavy rain exacerbated by areas of low pressure in the Western Ghats mountain range, according to NASA.

Rain has started to abate this week, allowing rescue and relief operations to deal with the devastation the flooding has caused.

For those who do not want to donate through Mercy Corps and iTunes, there are other options. The government of Kerala is accepting direct money transfers and has set up a website where people can donate using credit and debit cards.

Other relief organizations working in Kerala are also accepting donations, including Oxfam India, Goonj, and Habitat for Humanity India.

Article Link: Apple Accepting Mercy Corps Donations to Help People Affected by Flooding in Kerala, India

2. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

Excellent!

Apple is now taking the proper route to get position within India .. Goodwill at it's best. Glad they will help.

3. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

The only reason I can think of to donate via iTunes instead of in a more direct manner is so you can donate iTunes giftcards you wouldn't otherwise be using.

Except Apple doesn't allow that.

I guess a reason for Apple to allow this is so they can get updated Credit Card info from people and make future transactions more seamless.

4. Glideslope macrumors 603

Glideslope

How about Mercy Donations for Northern California? Oh, wait, sorry they already purchase enough iPhones. :(

5. methnen macrumors newbie

Really glad to see this. MercyCorps is a dramatically better choice than their usual knee jerk Red Cross choice.

6. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

How about nobody does anything at all. Wouldn’t that be a better world.

7. m0sher, Aug 22, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2018

m0sher macrumors 6502

m0sher

I’m surprised Apple hasn’t helped Puerto Rico and their catastrophe rather than India but I guess it’s good marketing that they’re trying to “smooze” India to excepting Apple .

8. Kaibelf, Aug 22, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2018

Kaibelf macrumors 68020

Kaibelf

One could easily argue that NoCal, with their vast wealth base, doesn't need the help as badly as large sections of India where people could routinely starve to death and die of maladies after a natural disaster in ways that would be inconceivable to hear about in Palo Alto.

9. PickUrPoison macrumors 68040

Apple does much for charity, including direct donations, making it easy for others to donate and 2 for 1 employee gift matching up to $10,000 (and $50 donation per volunteer hour). Tim Cook has personally given over $100 million to various charities, and plans to eventually give away his entire fortune.

But of course each person sees that differently, depending on the mindset through which they view the world and their fellow humans. The question of why Apple’s charity triggers such anger and hatred is probably best left to social pathologists.

Still, it’s disheartening to see the usual Apple hate spewing forth; as usual Apple can do no right. It’s really quite disgusting. Wish the forum software allowed a larger ignore list.

10. serialiphoneuser macrumors regular

Can't they donate a small amount from their profits?

11. cwanja macrumors 6502a

12. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

They have helped in PR and I think the word you're looking for is schmooze. I don't think Apple is trying to put India to sleep. ;)

13. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

I think Apple had, yet could be mistaken.

Then again at least Apple hasn't consistently restricted emergency services based on a stupid SOC (service order code) within their tower network meant to adhere to the original emergency services data allotment restriction. Done by Verizon - as mentioned earlier this week in a separate thread - after several calls to remove the block/restriction/throttling of data. You'd figure Verizon would've gotten the message concerning national and global news.

Really sad for those that have lost their homes due to this. Disgusted that Verizon put out a statement with a defensive policy tactic. Hope they can legally be sued in civil court and loose. Maybe even a government restriction.

Thanks for posting relevant facts regarding donations to Puerto Rico! I had thought Apple did just couldn't find the link.

Someone mentioned about using iTunes/AppStore Gift Card non-allotted amounts; that would be great.

14. the johnmc macrumors regular

the johnmc

15. Glideslope macrumors 603

Glideslope

16. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Hmmm, I don't think that would be a good idea.......corruption rings a bell....but then again, can you be 100% sure mercy corps is corruption free or spending the money on something else, or the overhead.

Never heard of them before.(And I have been around)

17. Glideslope macrumors 603

Glideslope

I’m good with that outside the US when it absolutely has no purpose other than attempt to make an Apple device more appealing to a nation lacking in Apple appeal. :apple:

18. the johnmc macrumors regular

the johnmc

Are Mercy Corps aiding in the California wildfire relief efforts? There's nothing on their site about it and I haven't actually seen them here.

19. Websnapx2 macrumors regular

No purpose? None at all? Not even helping people?

Apple has set this stuff up for just about every disaster for many years and they haven't focused just on regions that they are looking for better sales from. But it is pretty telling that you are only interested in supporting the US, when Apple is a multi-national company.

20. CarlJ, Aug 22, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2018

CarlJ macrumors 68030

CarlJ

Apple does something to help people caught in a natural disaster (which is dutifully reported on a site dedicated to reporting all things Apple). Half of MacRumor's readers look for ways to get outraged that Apple is helping, or isn't helping enough, or isn't helping in the way that the reader prefers, or should be helping somewhere else instead.

This is why we can't have nice things.

21. Triumphguy675 macrumors newbie

I agree my hometown of Redding was hit really hard lots of friends lost their homes and tons of people are left without anything but whatever they ran out of the house with.

22. greenmeanie macrumors 65816

greenmeanie

If Apple wants to impress me they could donate their own money.

23. omihek macrumors 6502

omihek

Yes, they can. And now they've made it easy for you to do it too.

24. Glideslope macrumors 603

Glideslope

Please, don’t insult me with the pretext that Apple is doing this to help a suffering portion of the Indian Nation. It’s about increasing iPhone sales and attempting to gain relief of the Indian Govt’s demands of monitoring/censoring all users in India on iOS. :apple:

25. omihek macrumors 6502

omihek