Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

There are 26 days left until the end of the year, which is the deadline for when Apple said the highly-anticipated Amazon Prime Video app would be coming to the Apple TV. A launch could perhaps come as soon as this week, and maybe as even as early as tomorrow, based on an App Store leak spotted on reddit.

After setting his iPhone date to December 6, a redditor opened up the App Store and allegedly saw an Amazon Prime Video story as the top feature in the "Today" section. He linked the section on reddit, which other users were able to see temporarily before the content was pulled by Apple. The "Today" App Store description in question specifically referenced Amazon Prime Video for Apple TV.

amazonprimevideoleak.jpg
Apple pulled this a few minutes ago. (Hi Apple?)

As said, my time/date is set to tomorrow. That is relevant because I saw the story at the top of the "Today" tab when I opened the App Store. That is how I obtained the link.

Thus my guess is that the story is ready for launch on the App Store tomorrow, and sometime around midnight Eastern or PST, both the story and the updated app itself will go live. That's approx 9-12 hours from now. We'll see.
If the App Store leak is genuine, and it appears to be based on multiple reports from different reddit users, it means Apple already has content written up for the Amazon Prime Video release. That the content was visible on December 6 suggests a launch could be imminent.

Apple first announced the Amazon Prime Video app for Apple TV at its Worldwide Developers Conference in June. At the time, Apple said the app would be coming later this year, but months have passed since then with no sign of it. There have been continual launch rumors, though, all of which have been incorrect.

Amazon Prime Video is one of the only major streaming video services absent from Apple's set-top box. The service is provided as a benefit to Amazon Prime members who subscribe to Amazon's $99 per year Amazon Prime service. Amazon Prime Video features thousands of TV shows and movies, along with original content produced by Amazon.

Update: The App Store has been updated with a new "Today" page for the Amazon Prime Video app on iOS and it makes no mention of the Apple TV app. It also has different wording than the original that was spotted earlier today.

Article Link: Apple Accidentally Promotes Amazon Prime Video for Apple TV in App Store, Launch Could Be Imminent [Updated]

Reactions: macfacts

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Well an Amazon exec said just yesterday in no uncertain terms that it would be released by the end of the year, so we already knew it would be in about 3 weeks or less. Good news but this particular tidbit doesn’t really reveal anything we didn’t already know about the release date.

Reactions: bobob

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
Now make Apple Music available to work with other devices also Apple for god sakes people just don't use Apple hardware only.

Reactions: Sefstah

FasterQuieter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2008
I wish this was something I could be excited about. Sadly the Apple TV 4K looks dreadful on my 4K Samsung TV in HDR mode. Which means I'll have to use the crappy built in Amazon app anyway. I'd been hoping the new update yesterday would fix it all, but sadly not.

joeblough

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2006
I wish this was something I could be excited about. Sadly the Apple TV 4K looks dreadful on my 4K Samsung TV in HDR mode. Which means I'll have to use the crappy built in Amazon app anyway. I'd been hoping the new update yesterday would fix it all, but sadly not.

well, did you upgrade to tvOS 11.2? they supposedly fixed all the SDR/HDR issues with that release.

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2012
Mainly been holding off on this purchase because of the lack of Prime... looks like I’ll be pulling the trigger now.

Especially with YouTube leaving Amazon. That’s crazy news. Launched the app on my FireTV after reading the above post and saw the pop-up stating “starting 1/1/18” it is removing access to the app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.