Apple Acquired Keyboard Startup 'Dryft' in 2014

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 8, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Over the last few weeks, several previously unknown Apple acquisitions have surfaced. In March, Bloomberg shared news of the company's purchase of data analytics firm Acunu, and earlier this week, TechCrunch reported that Apple had acquired search technology startup Ottocat in 2013.

TechCrunch has now shared news of another acquisition that happened in 2014 -- the purchase of Dryft, a startup that specialized in creating keyboard apps. Dryft chief technology officer Randy Marsden, who also co-founded Swype, is listed as an "iOS Keyboard Manager" that joined Apple in September of 2014, suggesting the acquisition may have occurred around that date.

Dryft's technology was a keyboard that appeared only on the screen when a user placed a finger on the display, and as described by TechCrunch, it's "essentially a keyboard for tablets that tracks your fingers' movements," meaning it appears wherever your fingers are placed on the screen.

[​IMG]

It is not clear if Apple plans to incorporate this specific technology into iOS or if it made the purchase of Dryft to acquire the company's employees to work on other keyboard features. As of iOS 8, Apple's operating system supports keyboards created by third-party developers, but the company has continued work on its own keyboard. iOS 8 brought keyboard improvements like QuickType, which offers word predictions to speed up typing.

Apple confirmed the acquisition to TechCrunch with its standard purchase statement: "Apple buys smaller technology companies from time to time, and we generally do not discuss our purpose or plans."

Article Link: Apple Acquired Keyboard Startup 'Dryft' in 2014

2. ZacNicholson macrumors 6502a

ZacNicholson

3. DavidTheExpert macrumors regular

The major difference between Apple and Google is that when Apple acquires a small startup company like this, they usually merge the technology with their own, or at least absorb the talent from the acquisition like Mr. Marsden in this case, whereas when Google acquires a small startup they shut down all operations and strip it for scrap parts.

Google tends to acquire their competition and shut them down whereas Apple acquires useful technology and talent.

4. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

I'm looking forward to the Japanese Keyboard, aka Tokyo Dryft.

(I'm here all week, folks... try the veal, and don't forget to tip your waitstaff...)

5. AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

I'd rather Apple implement this in a physical keyboard.

6. sza macrumors 6502

7. 2457282 Suspended

Looking forward to seeing what Apple does with this in iOS 9.

8. misterpip macrumors member

9. l00pback macrumors regular

l00pback

So, just so we understand, you want a physical keyboard that appears when the user touches the screen?

10. Timster83 macrumors member

Could be an interesting idea with something like force touch implemented on a large touch screen device.

11. AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

I'd rather the entire keyboard disappear when untouched.

12. elmateo487 macrumors 6502a

How the crap is a physical keyboard going to appear where you hands are placed....

And don't you dare link me to that water filled screen keyboard.

13. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Combine this with force touch and taptic engine please.

14. muadibe macrumors 6502

15. cppguy macrumors 6502

Fortunately that hasn't happen to Nik Software.

16. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

Nor has it happened to Waze. *fingers crossed*

17. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

18. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Fixed that for you. Lol

19. teslo macrumors 6502a

teslo

20. uid15 Suspended

uid15

... and deleted ALL source code and binaries from ALL their servers, meaning... no more Android! :D

Not a bad idea really :p

21. avanpelt macrumors 68030

Maybe this will improve the typing experience on iOS? I hope?

Right now, it's the worst of all possible options. You've got a stock keyboard that has no features beyond rudimentary predictive typing and you have some awesome third-party keyboards which are crippled either because of bugs in iOS or because of Apple's lack of comprehensive support for third-party keyboards.

As much as I love SwiftKey, I had to stop using it for the second time recently because even with their app updates, the keyboard still only appears for Spotlight searches or text messages 60% of the time, at best. I believe it is an iOS problem that is keeping the keyboard from appearing when it should because SwiftKey likely would've addressed the problem in one of their several app updates since launch if they could have.

22. FelicityW macrumors regular

This is sort of what I want. I think like some of the posters, I want a keyboard image on the screen that mirrors what my fingers are doing. Heads-up typing with a proper keyboard (love my cherry keyboard...). Typing on an upright surface is nuts.

23. a0me macrumors 65816

a0me

You have to admit that would be really cool.

24. bobenhaus macrumors 6502a

What you said sounds totally redundant because both companies do the same thing with their purchases. I didn't know you were an analyst

25. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

A Swype type keyboard integrated into iOS would be great.

----------

Correct.