• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Over the last few weeks, several previously unknown Apple acquisitions have surfaced. In March, Bloomberg shared news of the company's purchase of data analytics firm Acunu, and earlier this week, TechCrunch reported that Apple had acquired search technology startup Ottocat in 2013.

TechCrunch has now shared news of another acquisition that happened in 2014 -- the purchase of Dryft, a startup that specialized in creating keyboard apps. Dryft chief technology officer Randy Marsden, who also co-founded Swype, is listed as an "iOS Keyboard Manager" that joined Apple in September of 2014, suggesting the acquisition may have occurred around that date.

Dryft's technology was a keyboard that appeared only on the screen when a user placed a finger on the display, and as described by TechCrunch, it's "essentially a keyboard for tablets that tracks your fingers' movements," meaning it appears wherever your fingers are placed on the screen.

dryft-800x500.jpg

It is not clear if Apple plans to incorporate this specific technology into iOS or if it made the purchase of Dryft to acquire the company's employees to work on other keyboard features. As of iOS 8, Apple's operating system supports keyboards created by third-party developers, but the company has continued work on its own keyboard. iOS 8 brought keyboard improvements like QuickType, which offers word predictions to speed up typing.

Apple confirmed the acquisition to TechCrunch with its standard purchase statement: "Apple buys smaller technology companies from time to time, and we generally do not discuss our purpose or plans."

Article Link: Apple Acquired Keyboard Startup 'Dryft' in 2014

DavidTheExpert

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2012
The major difference between Apple and Google is that when Apple acquires a small startup company like this, they usually merge the technology with their own, or at least absorb the talent from the acquisition like Mr. Marsden in this case, whereas when Google acquires a small startup they shut down all operations and strip it for scrap parts.

Google tends to acquire their competition and shut them down whereas Apple acquires useful technology and talent.

Comment

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Maybe this will improve the typing experience on iOS? I hope?

Right now, it's the worst of all possible options. You've got a stock keyboard that has no features beyond rudimentary predictive typing and you have some awesome third-party keyboards which are crippled either because of bugs in iOS or because of Apple's lack of comprehensive support for third-party keyboards.

As much as I love SwiftKey, I had to stop using it for the second time recently because even with their app updates, the keyboard still only appears for Spotlight searches or text messages 60% of the time, at best. I believe it is an iOS problem that is keeping the keyboard from appearing when it should because SwiftKey likely would've addressed the problem in one of their several app updates since launch if they could have.

Comment

FelicityW

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2011
NY->CA->AZ->MI->AZ
This is sort of what I want. I think like some of the posters, I want a keyboard image on the screen that mirrors what my fingers are doing. Heads-up typing with a proper keyboard (love my cherry keyboard...). Typing on an upright surface is nuts.

Comment

bobenhaus

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2011
The major difference between Apple and Google is that when Apple acquires a small startup company like this, they usually merge the technology with their own, or at least absorb the talent from the acquisition like Mr. Marsden in this case, whereas when Google acquires a small startup they shut down all operations and strip it for scrap parts.

Google tends to acquire their competition and shut them down whereas Apple acquires useful technology and talent.

What you said sounds totally redundant because both companies do the same thing with their purchases. I didn't know you were an analyst

Comment

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
A Swype type keyboard integrated into iOS would be great.

----------

Correct.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.