Apple Acquired Keyboard Startup 'Dryft' in 2014

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Bigsk8r macrumors 6502

Bigsk8r

I've never really seen the need to explore other keyboards than the stock one on my phone. What is the best one to use?

2. Joe HS macrumors 6502

I've not liked any of the third party options I've tried. A simple keyboard that my muscle memory is used to is better in my opinion. I'm glad other people have options but I'm not sure I want additional features to become compulsory - I have Quick Type off because it makes the rest of the display feel cramped, for instance. (This wouldn't have the same effect obviously).

3. numlock macrumors 68000

which google acquisitions stand out in that regard?

4. thekeyring macrumors 68040

ha.

5. Tech198 macrumors G4

Wouldn't this be more them like swift key? yet the only thing here is since the keyboard only displays when finger is on the display, wouldn't this force the user to swipe from one key to another one finger on the screen at all times to type?

Otherwise how else would know it's there?

6. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

I'll take half a laugh...

Have a great one!

7. GangstaGehard macrumors member

Wait. What? How is there a difference between the two? They both acquire companies to get the talent and technology to use in their core products.

Where do you get off on defaming Google for doing the same thing Apple does?

8. pjamieson macrumors newbie

The Pic is of it running on a Android Tablet

Anybody else notice this?

----------

Because he is DavidTheExpert ... lol and this is a Apple website! :mad:

9. bawbac macrumors 65816

bawbac

10. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

I see that you're from Everett! Nice to see a neighbor in the forums. We're in North Mill Creek. :D

11. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

PopKey

12. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

Nice! I want to get back over there to live... We lived over there about 2 years ago. Have they fixed 35th Ave yet, so it doesn't flood?

:eek:

13. Bigsk8r macrumors 6502

Bigsk8r

I don't know why, but this post resonated a bit with me. Others have made similar comments and I moved on, but I feel compelled to comment now.

Has it occurred to people saying this kind of thing that perhaps the startup they bought WANTED to liquidate completely? That maybe the twelve people that had stock options WANTED to cash in, pay cash for a retirement home in another state, and spend winters in Bora Bora... not Cupertino or Mountain View??

They likely don't take forever negotiating terms and coming to an agreement when the deal is "we'll hire you and all your folks and make you rich". That deal is the exception, not the norm.

:rolleyes:

14. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

Sort of! Not quite fixed but it has been worked on! :mad:
    When/if you come back, you will see many, many new subdivisions and homes everywhere along 35th all the way down to Bothell! Two years ago wasn't so bad, now it's congested but still love this beautiful place. Hurry back! :D

15. DavidTheExpert macrumors regular

That doesn't matter. Everyone would love to start a company and get bought out for a few hundred million. That's like winning the lottery for an entrepreneur. But that doesn't mean it's right to do. Google does it because they need a key patent or they're worried about competition. Any value that the business was creating just vanishes. Whereas Apple never buys out a company unless they intend to utilize or improve upon the value of the business.

16. Bigsk8r macrumors 6502

Bigsk8r

You are making an implication that Google "always" does something, and actually stating that Apple "never" does something. You would need to provide more evidence than you have access to in order to come close to proving that. Good luck with that...

17. DavidTheExpert macrumors regular

Now you're just picking on semantics. Do I need to provide a disclaimer every time I make a generalization?

18. Bigsk8r macrumors 6502

Bigsk8r

What's funny here is that I admit to being a fanboy, but have also been behind the veil extensively working at Google. What you are saying with your original comment is categorically untrue.

Google is not the big evil in the black hat just buying out patents for competitions sake, and Apple is not the white hat wearing benevolent benefactor buying companies to "... improve upon the value of the business"

They both wear grey hats and do what they do for their own goals and shareholders. Spin it how you will.

19. DavidTheExpert macrumors regular

Yeah, I always like having the last word in an internet argument too.

20. Bigsk8r macrumors 6502

Bigsk8r

Nicely attempted. You run out of legitimate steam and vitriol, then go camp behind the "last word" sarcasm.

Pardon me for expecting a self-anointed expert to actually have data to back up their nonsensical claim. You may have the last word, if that is your desire.

Peace.

21. drumcat macrumors 6502

drumcat

O RLY?