Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 6, 2005

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
Certainly a lot cheaper than Admob cost Google... so is Apple just going to start buying up advertising companies to prevent Google from buying them and getting information about the App Store market place?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Apple Acquired Quattro Wireless for $275 Million?

All Things D reports that Apple is set to announce that it has acquired Quattro Wireless for $275 million.

Quattro Wireless describes itself as a "global mobile advertising company, empowering advertisers and publishers to reach and engage their target audiences across mobile web, application and video platforms with unrivaled precision, transparency and ROI." The company is a competitor to AdMob, another advertising company, that was acquired by Google for $750 million. Apple was said to have talked to AdMob about possible acquisition prior to Google's acquisition.

The official announcement is expected to come as early as tomorrow.

Article Link: Apple Acquired Quattro Wireless for $275 Million?

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
Looks like apple and google are going toe to toe, I see this battle getting hotter between the two this year

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
Looks like apple and google are going toe to toe, I see this battle getting hotter between the two this year

+1

Android steps on iPhone. This acquisition is a poke back. Be watching this carefully.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
+1

Android steps on iPhone. This acquisition is a poke back. Be watching this carefully.

I'm sure it's more than just a pissing match.

Apple wouldn't acquire Quattro Wireless unless there is a profit to be had.

After all, they are a publicly owned corporation with shareholders.

TimmyDee

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2007
In paid apps. :(

No doubt. This has been an unsettling trend I've noticed in the App Store in the past month or so. Previous apps that I paid for are now suddenly laced with ads after an update. I guess there will just have to be more apps to avoid.

bobdard

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2008
I thought hard about why Apple would need a ad company last time there was rumors about AdMob, and didn't have any good ideas. Now I think I do.

I don't think Apple wants to create ads in paid apps. Apple hates advertising messing with their user's content. It's always been a big selling point for MobileMe's mail (I'm not saying for all of MobileMe, so please don't start a fight over it ;)).

My idea is that Apple wanted to start a subscription tv show service (as we all know), but the a la cart pricing was too high to be valuable for customers, and profitable for Apple. Solution? TV subscription with ads appearing in the shows (either at beginning, or perhaps at one or two points in the middle - less than typical TV).

The article does mention the company has ads for internet, applications, video...

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I thought hard about why Apple would need a ad company last time there was rumors about AdMob, and didn't have any good ideas. Now I think I do.

I don't think Apple wants to create ads in paid apps. Apple hates advertising messing with their user's content. It's always been a big selling point for MobileMe's mail (I'm not saying for all of MobileMe, so please don't start a fight over it ;)).

My idea is that Apple wanted to start a subscription tv show service (as we all know), but the a la cart pricing was too high to be valuable for customers, and profitable for Apple. Solution? TV subscription with ads appearing in the shows (either at beginning, or perhaps at one or two points in the middle - less than typical TV).

The article does mention the company has ads for internet, applications, video...

Let's not forget Sports Illustrated is one of their clients.;)

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Chicago
Does anyone else see this as a platform for providing ads in newspapers and magazines on the new MacTab/iSlate/whatever?

very good call... eventually. I don't know how quickly they could integrate the IP into their soon-to-be-released muhama-jesu-bhuddha slate.

Kar98

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2007
No, I will NOT tolerate ads on devices that I purchased, ever. And I will also NOT tolerate ads on services that I've paid for.

macrumors 6502
No, I will NOT tolerate ads on devices that I purchased, ever. And I will also NOT tolerate ads on services that I've paid for.
Neither I.

BTW, maybe APPL will release for some $29 an app which just shows ads. I'll love that. It'll be the only app on my iphone/laptop. I'll all day long having good time watching ads I choose to paid for, just to watching them. That'll be sooo cOOl.:D:D:D

GorillaPaws

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
I wonder if they're going to create an API for iPhone apps (iTablet apps too if/when they exist) whereby developers can simply drop in an ad box and Apple will handle the details of compensation. I don't particularly care for the ad-driven business model, but I think it beats what several iPhone developers I know are going through.

The TV subscription model is an intriguing concept though. The price seems a lot more reasonable than the $750 pricetag that Google paid for AdMob. I mean for 3/4 of a billion dollars and all of the experience and resources at their disposal, I'm surprised that Google couldn't have just poached off the best of AdMobs talent and built their own mobile ad division for much cheaper.

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Game on

I wonder if they're going to create an API for iPhone apps (iTablet apps too if/when they exist) whereby developers can simply drop in an ad box and Apple will handle the details of compensation. I don't particularly care for the ad-driven business model, but I think it beats what several iPhone developers I know are going through.

That would be an intriguing idea.

4mat

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2008
Wirelessly posted (SAMSUNG-SGH-A821/1.0 SHP/VPP/R5 NetFront/3.4 SMM-MMS/1.2.0 profile/MIDP-2.0 configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Kar98 said:

What about webpages on your mac and iphone safari??

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
Quattro Wireless describes itself as a "global mobile advertising company, empowering advertisers and publishers to reach and engage their target audiences across mobile web, application and video platforms with unrivaled precision, transparency and ROI."

They could use this to create a simple platform that could be used to develop and self publish your own content through something similar to the SDK/App Store model.

cdinca

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
I wonder if the AdMob deal becomes less sweet for Google if Apple finds a way to encourage developers to use Quattro.

BTW

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2007

You have a TV right? How about cable? If so, then you've bought a device and subscribed to a service that spews ads. People have gotten used to the idea over the decades.

Now I agree with you that on a smartphone or media device it sucks royally. On the other hand on a device that is made to replace magazines and newspapers (the iSlate) it is a means for free high quality content. Imagine getting the Wall Street Journal for free just by allowing ads to be displayed on your iSlate. I'd deal with it, so long as the ads are not in my face and blocking the content.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Does anyone else see this as a platform for providing ads in newspapers and magazines on the new MacTab/iSlate/whatever?

Yes.

You have a TV right? How about cable? If so, then you've bought a device and subscribed to a service that spews ads. People have gotten used to the idea over the decades.

Now I agree with you that on a smartphone or media device it sucks royally. On the other hand on a device that is made to replace magazines and newspapers (the iSlate) it is a means for free high quality content. Imagine getting the Wall Street Journal for free just by allowing ads to be displayed on your iSlate. I'd deal with it, so long as the ads are not in my face and blocking the content.

Perhaps you have to speak to their parent about what they purchased?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.