Apple Acquires Regaind, a French Computer Vision Startup Focused on Photo and Facial Analysis

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 29, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has acquired Regaind, a small French artificial intelligence startup focused on photo and facial analysis, according to TechCrunch.

[​IMG]
    Apple essentially confirmed the deal with its standard statement:
    Regaind has developed a computer vision API that can extract "game-changing insights" from images, according to its website.
    Regaind is able to analyze the aesthetics, sharpness, exposure, colors, and other properties of photos, and use that information to boost or promote the most relevant ones in a meaningful way.

Regaind's computer vision API can also detect faces in a photo, as well as the gender, age, and emotion of the people that appear. It's possible that Apple is already using this technology for facial recognition features like Animoji in the iPhone X, and there could be additional implementations to follow.

Apple could use Regaind's technology to improve the Memories feature in the Photos app on iOS, for example, which already intelligently curates photos and videos based on activities, trips, holidays, people, pets, and more.

Article Link: Apple Acquires Regaind, a French Computer Vision Startup Focused on Photo and Facial Analysis

2. The Barron macrumors regular

Excellent purchase, Apple. I love the photo & especially Face ID features and look forward to even better.

3. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

4. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

With their focus being on internal machine learning, as opposed to cloud sourced solutions, it is nice to see them building their on portpholio with tools / technology to make those features better. Personally I am a big fan of local (private) machine learning, over cloud sourced AI. Privacy is only part of the reason for my opinion on this, I also like not having to use Data, and utilize the power of the devices we carry around.

5. grayskies macrumors regular

I have no knowledge of this field, but I immediately wonder the possibilities expanding the application to 3D or AR.

6. v0lume4 macrumors 65816

v0lume4

Thank you so much for calling it iPhone XI instead of iPhone X2, or any of the other crazy variations I've seen that fail to acknowledge that the "X" is the roman numeral for ten. :D

7. mcfrazieriv macrumors 6502

mcfrazieriv

See? The French ARE good for something, guys! Excited to see where this goes.

Can't wait for the iPhone 9 and 10.1 Mountain Lion next year. /s

8. PeLaNo macrumors member

This could lead to improvement in search results in photo.app. It’s not that perfect right now.

9. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

10. GuilleA macrumors member

GuilleA

Bertrand Serlet is french.

11. Applebot1 macrumors 6502

Interesting acquisition. Apple defo going to expand their emoji obsession.:p

12. citysnaps macrumors 68030

Excellent move. Loads of possibilities.

13. velosterz macrumors newbie

Just checked their website, they have some examples of photos analysis.. Wow. Very impressive.

14. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

I agree this is interesting tech. Although some of those assessments are somewhat subjective. I could not agree with some of their 'Subject well-framed' ratings, and their 'Dull colors' ratings seemed inconsistent.

This will no doubt be refined, although certain determinations will always remain in the 'subjective' realm.

15. Nicksd84 macrumors 6502

16. trifid macrumors 65816

trifid

17. chfilm macrumors 65816

chfilm

It's already crazy impressive though!

18. PeLaNo macrumors member

I’ve got these pics from internet and there’re some of them don’t count as a . Like this dog portraits.

Attached Files:

19. Attirex macrumors 6502

NY Times posts an article about how huge, rich, monopolizing tech companies like Apple, Google, MS, etc., actually hamper technological progress because they gobble up so many small start-ups that might have otherwise created game-changing innovations...in 3...2.....1.....

GO!

20. SeattleMoose macrumors 65816

Apple's obsession with "faces" is creepy. Potential for even more intrusion into our private lives. But young techies always put a "this is so great" spin while ignoring the potentials for MORE technology abuse, hacking, identity theft, etc. So many educated fools...

21. rafark macrumors regular

rafark

It's nice but a bit scary as well. This is the beginning of identity recognition by robots. Not far from now we'll get a nice female voice saying: Hello John your mother/wife/kids were last seen at the central park at 1pm and left to the north at 2.49 pm do you want me to notify you next time we see them?

22. rizzo41999 macrumors regular

rizzo41999

I’m not a huge fan of the facial jazz. But then again, I said the same thing about Touch ID so clearly I’m full of it a little bit. However, with all of these recent credit breaches, it does make me wonder how much worse future breaches will be.

23. simx34 macrumors newbie

It's a computer vision AI, how exactly does this lead to more technology abuse? I don't understand you're point.

24. deany macrumors 68030

deany

Shame that you (apple) left many people out of a job in the UK, poaching Imagination Technologies (UK) key staff and steeling their intellectual property to further your own (new) chips.
    When you could have easily bought Imagination Technologies.

We wont forget.

25. MRrainer macrumors 6502a

Apple doesn't like buying up big companies. Integration would have been a nightmare. And it is in fact a big nightmare in the real world.
    Besides, they already had staff doing exactly the same as Imagination Technologies - so that would have only added friction.

But yeah, I do feel sorry for the people who got thrown under the bus. That really sucks.

I think unless you (as a supplier) are doing something really specialized that will never be a core-component, Apple's relationship with you can often be pretty... abusive.

OTOH, management at Imagination Technologies must have seen this coming for a long time.