Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
Excellent purchase, Apple. I love the photo & especially Face ID features and look forward to even better.
Their technology is more about AI assisted on identifying photos itself not on FaceID. They may have some talents that can help improving FaceID. I'm thinking more on improving Photos app for both MacOS and iOS app picking the most aesthetically pleasing. This make Apple ahead against competition of the mobile photography which is one of the most desired feature among the consumers.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Thank you so much for calling it iPhone XI instead of iPhone X2, or any of the other crazy variations I've seen that fail to acknowledge that the "X" is the roman numeral for ten. :D
How about XS , using apples convention

Reactions: v0lume4

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Apple's obsession with "faces" is creepy. Potential for even more intrusion into our private lives. But young techies always put a "this is so great" spin while ignoring the potentials for MORE technology abuse, hacking, identity theft, etc. So many educated fools...

Your worries should lie with google, not Apple.

Reactions: StevieD100

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Your worries should lie with google, not Apple.

Why? The concern should be about the intrusion , and not who holds the data. I just don't get why people are happy to give apple all their personal details etc, and at the same time in an almost hypocritical gesture deflect that google is evil.....

Last edited:
Reactions: SeattleMoose

DailySlow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2015
NOVA
Excellent move. Loads of possibilities.
"emotion of the people that appear" - this is now getting into subjectivity (next stage pf personal computing?, in my opinion, not necessarily a good thing. Your data, location, connections, your choices at Amazon, your SS number, all numbers and objective data. But reading your emotions? This is creepy.

Williesleg

Cancelled
Oct 28, 2014
They seem to be integrating the companies pretty well. Uneducated bashing doesn't really contribute anything here.

Unsubstantiated blind allegiance is ignorant.

Fact is yoy growth is way down, revenue stays the same or goes up a little. That's not the apple of Steve Jobs. That's apple morphing into General Electric or IBM. So sad. I wish they had something I'd like to buy, right now they're just treading water and wasting money. What? There's nobody sharp at Apple anymore?

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
Why? The concern should be about the intrusion , and not who holds the data. I just don't get why people are happy to give apple all their personal details etc, and at the same time in an almost hypocritical gesture deflect that google is evil.....

Apple doesn't have your data - that's the point. At least not in the way, Google has the data of their users. Even what they (Apple) have, they are working on either anonymizing or encrypting it to the point that it's either useless for commercial purposes or only the owner has access to it.

I assume that the data Google has about their users isn't directly available to any random employee, either.
But still, it's available.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
With their focus being on internal machine learning, as opposed to cloud sourced solutions, it is nice to see them building their on portpholio with tools / technology to make those features better. Personally I am a big fan of local (private) machine learning, over cloud sourced AI. Privacy is only part of the reason for my opinion on this, I also like not having to use Data, and utilize the power of the devices we carry around.

Could not agree more! Also the speed of localized compute power and AI is bounds faster than over a data link first, to be processed, then downlink to show or execute results. Privacy, full control of that privacy locally in our hands, and speed/accuracy.

This could lead to improvement in search results in photo.app. It’s not that perfect right now.

Hence the reason both 840Quadra and I believe sound implementation is for local on Soc AI to be implemented.

Bertrand Serlet is french.

And one of the GREATEST Computer Science engineers Apple has ever had; Employee #8 and that last guy who created Swift/Swift2 before leaving for failed Tesla and now at ... google??
[doublepost=1506839959][/doublepost]
Right, but he left years ago, while Steve was still around, and I thought for academia. Is this one of his projects?

August 2011 - Bertrand Serlet left for sciences originally:
https://www.apple.com/ca/newsroom/2011/03/23Bertrand-Serlet-to-Leave-Apple/

“I’ve worked with Steve for 22 years and have had an incredible time developing products at both NeXT and Apple, but at this point, I want to focus less on products and more on science,” said Bertrand Serlet, Apple’s senior vice president of Software Engineering. “Craig has done a great job managing the Mac OS team for the past two years, Lion is a great release and the transition should be seamless.”

I really REALLY loathed how they spiced up Federighi upon Serlet's official leaving ...

Federighi worked at NeXT, followed by Apple, and then spent a decade at Ariba where he held several roles including vice president of Internet Services and chief technology officer. He returned to Apple in 2009 to lead Mac OS X engineering. Federighi holds a Master of Science degree in Computer Science and a Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science from the University of California, Berkeley

Sure Federighi earned his education acumen and accredations and I'm sure he's accomplished, but lately other than iOS 11's Files to show for it ... I really don't think he's honoring his experiences with Animoji (yes I HATE such an idiotic feature use of great technology such as this).

Serlet ... gave us OSX modern networking (which Jobs himself forgot to stick around for back in early 80's while at Xerox PARC), Spaces, etc etc and even Scott Forstall gave us Maps (greatly improved, yet still), Time Machine (Boom!), iOS/Phone OS! Let's compare with Craig??! Yeah I don't like Craig but I can qualify why I don't vs those that just hate on Eddie Cue who's done more for Apple and their bottom line on a daily for decades more than almost anyone else: more responsibilities.

Serlet joined Apple in 1997, and has been involved in the definition, development and creation of Mac OS X, the world’s most advanced operating system. Before joining Apple, Serlet spent four years at Xerox PARC, then joined NeXT in 1989. Serlet holds a doctorate in Computer Science from the University of Orsay, France.

Last time I read about him he was working on a cloud storage startup.

You're right ....
Ex-OS X chief Bertrand Serlet’s Upthere cloud startup acquired by Western Digital
https://9to5mac.com/2017/08/28/upthere-acquired-by-western-digital/

however he's still ...
In July 2012 he joined the board of directors of Parallels, Inc

Last edited:

StevieD100

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2014
Living Dangerously in Retirement
Unsubstantiated blind allegiance is ignorant.

Fact is yoy growth is way down, revenue stays the same or goes up a little. That's not the apple of Steve Jobs. That's apple morphing into General Electric or IBM. So sad. I wish they had something I'd like to buy, right now they're just treading water and wasting money. What? There's nobody sharp at Apple anymore?

Those same old growth pattern could not continue. There is a true story about a US Insurance company that kept doubling in size every year. They started to forecast that they'd have more customers than people in the USA in less than two years. It was all a giant ponzi scheme. The numbers were faked.

Given the scutiny that Apple is under each and every day then slow but sure growth is far better than crashing and burning is it not?

It might look like Apple is treading water but I don't see it like that at all.

IF you think that Apple should be growing like in the past, then what hot new product line do you think that they should be selling today, this moment, now?
It is not easy to come up with the idea for the next big thing. Google tried it with Glass but their MO made it just creepy.
How about it then? What is your hot product idea?

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
There's simply a limit on the amount of money people are being able to spend on Apple, each month.
It's called "disposable income" for a reason.

With traditional products and markets, that limit has IMO been reached, more or less.

That's why they are pushing (more or less) into the car-space: people are used to the monthly payments.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Apple doesn't have your data - that's the point. At least not in the way, Google has the data of their users. Even what they (Apple) have, they are working on either anonymizing or encrypting it to the point that it's either useless for commercial purposes or only the owner has access to it.

I assume that the data Google has about their users isn't directly available to any random employee, either.
But still, it's available.

Care to elaborate on what data google is exposing or not securing , that apple is ?

Both comply to government requests to hand over personal data, and anytime I call up the simple apple Customer service rep has a complete view of my account , just like any other company.

Google and apple both use anonymised data from our actual usage. You know Apple Store our Siri requests , so they tell us it's not linked to us..... so that makes it okay? The thing is google does it, we apple fans scream that google is storing our personal data.

Fact is, they are not that different to be honest, we just choose to trust one and hate the other while all companies follow the same processs and business practices.

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
Care to elaborate on what data google is exposing or not securing , that apple is ?

Both comply to government requests to hand over personal data, and anytime I call up the simple apple Customer service rep has a complete view of my account , just like any other company.

Google and apple both use anonymised data from our actual usage. You know Apple Store our Siri requests , so they tell us it's not linked to us..... so that makes it okay? The thing is google does it, we apple fans scream that google is storing our personal data.

Fact is, they are not that different to be honest, we just choose to trust one and hate the other while all companies follow the same processs and business practices.

Google analyzes and monetizes the data they have from all their customers to allow buyers of ads (these are their real customers, not the people who have a youtube account etc.) to target these ads to specific user-groups as well as get better analytics for clicked ads.

Google knows much more about you and your browsing-habits than Apple. As such, they can also give out much more information to law-enforcement.

Facebook is even worse.

It's unfortunate that entities that know so much about so many individuals even exist - and so far, legislation hasn't come up with a solution yet. Mainly because the government itself is also interested in having access to this data.
It's an illicit complicity.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Google analyzes and monetizes the data they have from all their customers to allow buyers of ads (these are their real customers, not the people who have a youtube account etc.) to target these ads to specific user-groups as well as get better analytics for clicked ads.

Google knows much more about you and your browsing-habits than Apple. As such, they can also give out much more information to law-enforcement.

Facebook is even worse.

It's unfortunate that entities that know so much about so many individuals even exist - and so far, legislation hasn't come up with a solution yet. Mainly because the government itself is also interested in having access to this data.
It's an illicit complicity.

google does not sell personal information about users.

Google and apple capture their own user behaviour with the pretence they use it to improve their services..... they are not so different at all.

Government requests are for personal data like , emails , messages etc etc . Not browsing history, cause by it's nature browsing tracking is not linked to your appleid or google account , but anonymous, tracking be it google or adobe etc by law cannot capture personal information

Williesleg

Cancelled
Oct 28, 2014
Those same old growth pattern could not continue. There is a true story about a US Insurance company that kept doubling in size every year. They started to forecast that they'd have more customers than people in the USA in less than two years. It was all a giant ponzi scheme. The numbers were faked.

Given the scutiny that Apple is under each and every day then slow but sure growth is far better than crashing and burning is it not?

It might look like Apple is treading water but I don't see it like that at all.

IF you think that Apple should be growing like in the past, then what hot new product line do you think that they should be selling today, this moment, now?
It is not easy to come up with the idea for the next big thing. Google tried it with Glass but their MO made it just creepy.
How about it then? What is your hot product idea?

I don't have a hot product idea. I'm a consumer. I find myself going into the Apple store and walking out empty handed time after time. Not for a lack of money, but a lack of product. They no longer build products that we want. Just look around. Nobody is using the new EarPods. Nobody is excited about anything Apple does anymore. Apple just keeps trying to collect all our information. First, our data with Spotlight. Then our photos, documents, videos, and everything else with iCloud. Then our fingerprints. Now our faces. Why should we keep feeding the beast when they don't do anything for us? Why do they spend so much money on big data centers and grabbing our stuff. It's creepy. Go watch some old Steve Jobs keynotes and you'll see.

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
google does not sell personal information about users.

But they have it.
Else they wouldn't be able to sell very targeted ads.
And that really is the whole point of their business.
Apple, for a start, doesn't even sell ads.

Google and apple capture their own user behaviour with the pretence they use it to improve their services..... they are not so different at all.

Government requests are for personal data like , emails , messages etc etc . Not browsing history, cause by it's nature browsing tracking is not linked to your appleid or google account , but anonymous, tracking be it google or adobe etc by law cannot capture personal information

WTF? Google knows your search history. In addition, they own a lot of the ad-tracking cookies, which allows further insight.
Even if you don't have a google account, due to the way cookies work, there's a lot of stuff that can be back-tracked by evaluating ad-views and cookies from the sites you browse.

If you really think Apple and Google are in the same business and are basically employing the same practices, collecting the same data, you are completely delusional.
[doublepost=1506893576][/doublepost]
I don't have a hot product idea. I'm a consumer. I find myself going into the Apple store and walking out empty handed time after time. Not for a lack of money, but a lack of product. They no longer build products that we want. Just look around. Nobody is using the new EarPods. Nobody is excited about anything Apple does anymore. Apple just keeps trying to collect all our information. First, our data with Spotlight. Then our photos, documents, videos, and everything else with iCloud. Then our fingerprints. Now our faces. Why should we keep feeding the beast when they don't do anything for us? Why do they spend so much money on big data centers and grabbing our stuff. It's creepy. Go watch some old Steve Jobs keynotes and you'll see.

AFAIK, the AirPods sell very well.

Can people also stop spreading the misinformation that Apple "collects our fingerprints, faces, documents, videos, photos"?

The fingerprints and face-structures aren't saved as images and uploaded to iCloud (unless you make a selfie and upload it there, yourself), they are stored as a mathematical representation in the Secure Enclave, which nobody can really access.

You don't have to use iCloud. Not at all.

You can sync your phone with iTunes, back it up with iTunes and download your photos via the Photos-App (as well as the videos).

PeLaNo

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2017
Did some people just don’t realize that the reason why Apple choose to make AI processing your data on your phone only because they don’t want to know about your informations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.