Apple Acquires SnappyLabs, Maker of SnappyCam Burst Photo App [Confirmed]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Klae17 macrumors 65816

Klae17

Give us some examples of others innovating and not buying up companies please.

2. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Right, tell me how many people have a studio lighting setup, but no DSLR. Or choose to take that shot with a phone camera instead of the DSLR. :rolleyes:

3. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Buy little bits here and there. Nice and easy. Then sit back and relax while new AOL/Time Warner's are made and implode.

4. Kenrik macrumors 6502

Indeed, in the valley it's referred to as an "Aquihire" -

Source: I'm a dev @ a startup in the Bay Area.

5. mpantone, Jan 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2014

mpantone macrumors 6502

The baby shot is easy without studio lighting.

You just need indirect natural lighting, preferably a northern-facing window with a sheer curtain or a bed sheet. Note that Leonardo da Vinci reputedly draped white sheets over interior building courtyards to create what one would now consider as "studio lighting" (like a giant white box).

I will point out that subsequent artists - painters and sculptors - have used the same trick for centuries.

Babies are very small, so this is actually easier to do with them than adult humans. Note that this could be accomplished very easily twenty years ago with a P&S camera (let's say a Yashica T4 Super) and a roll of Kodak or Fujichrome ISO 400 print film.

A lot of pro photogs use smartphones/tablets for simple previewing, compositional decisions anyhow.

Not so difficult if you read a basic photography tutorial.

It's not the big deal that you make it out to be.

6. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

Look at it the other way around. How many photographers on a professional shoot have iPhones with them. I shoot with a D300, and carry an iPhone. On a day out with the family I'll often take a nice shot with the D300, then take another with the iPhone then share straight to the web. Same scene, different camera.

7. Ted13 macrumors 6502a

Ted13

Written in assembly

Wow, did you guys read the article in the link? A large part of his app was written in assembly. This is why Android will never be as good as iOS -- imagine trying to write an assembly language app that will run all the different ARM (and in some case not ARM) variants Android runs on. Will never happen. Practically all Android apps are in Java, which isn't even a compiled language. Good luck getting high performance with it.

8. 2010mini macrumors 601

Spoken like a true shutterbug.

9. tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

You beat me to that one sir.

10. zorinlynx macrumors 603

zorinlynx

Why the heck is it that whenever Apple acquires the maker of an app, they immediately pull the app from the store?

It's not like it costs Apple anything to have the app in the store, and hey, if people keep buying it, Apple gets to keep ALL the money instead of just 30%!

This happens every single time. Apple buys company, app is pulled before the announcement even hits. WTF? Why, Apple?

11. mdelvecchio, Jan 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2014

mdelvecchio macrumors 68040

mdelvecchio

acquisitions and the resulting internal modification & implementation are the definition of innovation. this guy is now an apple employee and his features will be incorporated in future products. when they do, no reviewer will put an asterisk next to the new feature and say "* This came from acquisition"...because doing so would be insane.

do you know what apple bought in order to mass produce multitouch? no, and nobody cares. we only care about the finished product.

12. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

Not mine...The come out pretty good. I like have the choice for the best shot.

13. msandersen macrumors regular

msandersen

Where do I plug my Speedlites into my phone?!? Don't bother being condescending if you are clueless. The point is, they are professional shots not shot from a phone. Not unusual for marketing, but deceptive and not indicative of the quality you get.

14. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

I'm guessing it will be incorporated into the free camera app and Apple doesn't want to have people complaining about paying for something that later becomes free.

15. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

Never managed to get snappyCam bit best of luck to the developer. Perhaps they like the revisualization of JPEG aspect of it.

And I think I have Fast Camera. The other one that person keeps talking about. And guessing I was using it on an iPhone 4. I might have to redownload it and give it another try on my 5S.

16. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

I wonder if this was really 'written' in assembly or just converted from a higher language.

17. Glideslope macrumors 603

Glideslope

Seriously? :apple:

18. Ted13 macrumors 6502a

Ted13

The original article says written in assembly -- note, not the whole app, just the parts most crucial to performance.

19. IGregory macrumors 6502a

IGregory

That's innovation. :)

20. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

because it will be part of the native app in the future. That apple will make part of major release.

21. mpantone macrumors 6502

No, not really.

It's more than a little bit pathetic that I can invoke a 500-year-old art history example to prove a point at MacRumors.

Appalling, really.

22. SVTmaniac macrumors 6502

It's been said already, but neither of those photos were taken with a cell phone. I love it when iPhone users try to tell me they can get just as good of shots with their phone as I can with my 5D3 and my 600mm f4L IS II lens. :rolleyes:

23. dec. Suspended

dec.

I wouldn't say that. Other companies buy their operating systems and other stuff too... so they are in good company, so to speak...

24. patent10021 macrumors 68030

patent10021

I'm interested in this too. How come this wasn't thought of my programmers actually working for camera manufacturers? Is the dev a guy with years of experience who went solo? What is the code is doing?"redesign how JPG images are compressed". How are images compressed via code in the first place?

25. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

Apple innovated the iPhone. Without that this guy would be designing apps for flip phones, now he's a millionaire.