Apple Acquires SnappyLabs, Maker of SnappyCam Burst Photo App [Confirmed]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Menneisyys2, Jan 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2014

Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Sorry, but I'm afraid you're absolutely wrong.

Albeit I don't have the 4S to test it, I seriously doubt it would have received this tech, while the iPhone 5 wouldn't. I've just tested action shooting under the latest iOS version, 7.1b2 (I'm a reg'ed dev so it's a legal installation) with my standard 60 fps counter video I've developed to easily benchmark video players and cameras.

This means a camera that shoots 60 images (frames) a second would not have any dropped (missing) frames. With a camera recording 30 fps, about every second would be missing and so on.

Now, this is what the stock Camera is capable of (with disabled action sound):

[​IMG]

As you can see, the minimal difference between the counters is 17 (see the 313-330 transition), and the maximal is 24 (see e.g. 386-402). This means the actual fps is between 60/17 = 3.52 and 60/24 = 2.5. The average is around 3. Way less than the 20 you stated...

Feel free to prove I'm wrong. Just post the same Photos screen, preferably when 4 digits are displayed, so that we can easily see the actual framerate. Here's the 60 fps test video:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/81986513/082012/sublerSubs/1080p60-counter -optimized.mp4

Make sure you play it back with maximized brightness so that the low light conditions don't force the iPhone to lengthen the shutter time and/or autofocus time. (Both are generally (much) higher under low light.)

EDIT: for comparison, here is the export of SnappyCam on exactly the same iPhone 5 running the exact same 7.1b2, using the default settings minus geolocation tagging & sound effects:

[​IMG]

The results:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see, most of the time (except for somewhat longer pauses now and then), SnappyCam indeed could record every third frame in the video, resulting in the net framerate of 60/3 = 20 fps. Which is almost an order of magnitude higher than the stock camera app's framerate measured in my previous comment.

All in all, what you've written is wrong. Apple did not add any kind of speedup to the 4S - and it most surely won't. They won't make an "old" model considerably better.

2. djgamble macrumors 6502a

But they did... I don't think you understand what the technology does. Read previous posts in this thread.

Nobody is paying you Androids to spit out BS on Mac forums. Why bother?

3. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Please provide proof of the allegedly enhanced framerate as I've did. A simple screenshot will do. Until then, I can only say you haven't properly measured the actual framerate of the stock Camera app.

If you read my other posts here at MR (I have thousands of them, most of them helping other people and/or presenting my new iOS apps or JB tweaks), you can see I'm not an Android user. I prefer (JB'n) iOS. However, I'm absolutely disillusioned by Apple's upgrade policy, compared to that of Google or MS / Nokia.

4. djgamble, Jan 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2014

djgamble macrumors 6502a

lol quit talking to yourself... seriously why make such an arrogant statement then prove nothing?

5. Menneisyys2, Jan 5, 2014

Lolz... was it all? Where's the proof I've asked for?

Look, creating and posting proof only takes some minutes.

1, you download my 60 fps test video and play it with maximal brightness
    2, shoot it with the shutter icon depressed
    3, post a Photos shot of the recorded frames where the last number is visible.

I don't ask for much.

6. TripHop macrumors regular

TripHop

Requires iPhone 5S

You guys both reporting your experience with an iPhone 5S?

7. sigsegv, Jan 6, 2014

sigsegv macrumors member

sigsegv

Actually my money is on Menneisyys2. I just tried on my 5S with built-in camera app and it only manages 10fps.

I very much doubt that my 2-year-old 4s is twice as fast as that. (and I'll have to dig it out of retirement and charge it to check - which I'm not about to do.)

[​IMG]

8. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Thanks for the test!

9. Menneisyys2, Jan 6, 2014

I'm still waiting for your proof of the alleged 20 fps burst shooting of the 4S.

10. sigsegv macrumors member

sigsegv

11. the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

Thank you. For once you understand what confirmed (within the Apple news/rumour world) means. Please continue only using the word confirmed (regarding Apple directly) only when Apple speaks. MacRumors has gotten this wrong so so many times in the past, but here MacRumors got it right.

Whether Apple actually confirmed this to Re/code or not is anyone's best guess. Lots of people incorrectly use the word confirmed. But that is Re/code's issue and not MacRumor's.

Hopefully MacRumors will keep up this good and correct write style.

12. MiesVanDerRobot macrumors member

Am I the only one who actually read the entire SnappyLabs blog post?

This paragraph is very interesting:

"Similar innovations were put into a custom JPEG decoder, powering the unique SnappyCam thumb-to-interact living photo viewer. When dealing with massive 8 Mpx (32 MByte BGRX uncompressed) images, decoder performance became critical to a great user experience."

In simpler terms, this algorithm not only enables saving photos faster, but displaying them faster. That's something that can contribute to a better user experience for everyone, not just those who shoot in burst mode.

Forest for the trees, gang...the fact that this algorithm works both ways is what makes it truly valuable to Apple. As the number of megapixels we're carrying on our phones increases, the difficulty of providing speedy photo browsing and editing increases. This technology will help Apple keep pace with that and continue to provide a (dare I say) snappy user experience. :D

13. TMay macrumors 68000

14. SgtPepper12 macrumors 6502a

SgtPepper12

I looked at the pictures, there were pretty obvious differences. The "totally black image" is of course not really totally black. You pretty much get the same result with any Picture saved in two different compression rates. It's a cheap trick and says nothing about the quality of compression.
    And I don't say there is no improvement. I just say they're not impressive at all. Here's an comparison picture of the examples on the website, btw. Don't tell me there is no difference. The JPEGmini version is MUCH blockier.

Attached Files:

15. andrew78 macrumors member

16. Tumbleweed666, Jan 6, 2014

Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Tumbleweed666

He proved everything, whereas you make insults with no facts and no guts to test it out.

But no need as I've just tested it on my 4s (numbers going backwards)
    2862 2836 2812 2787 2767 2745 2718 2698 2659

Differences 26 24 25 20 etc

That's about 3 frames a second at best

17. Menneisyys2, Jan 6, 2014

Thanks for the figures! Indeed what I've expected.

18. msephton macrumors 6502

msephton

You're going to have to highlight the differences because I don't see them. Sorry

http://www.jpegmini.com/main/technology

19. trainwrecka macrumors 6502

trainwrecka

I've been using this app for a few months - really great. Apple was smart to grab this guy's tech.

20. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Guys,

if you've missed SnappyCam but would still welcome a hack that makes shooting significantly faster and don't mind jailbreaking, there's a fairly new and free tweak "Burst mode" that raises the shooting framerate on "old" models like the iPhone 5 by about 32%. Definitely not as much as SnappyCam, though.

I've posted a detailed review of it, along with a completely new and absolutely great hack, "Slo-mo Mod”, at http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1698879