Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Addresses Cinema Display Audio Issues With Firmware Update

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple yesterday released LED Cinema Display Firmware Update 1.0, addressing audio problems with the company's latest standalone display.
This Firmware Update addresses intermittent audio issues some users have experienced while using the 27-inch LED Cinema Display.

The updater application will be installed in the /Applications/Utilities folder and will be launched automatically. Please follow the instructions in the updater application to complete the update process.
Details of the issue are included in an associated support document:
You may notice that sound from an LED Cinema Display (27-inch) connected to a Mac intermittently becomes inaudible. In some circumstances, you may need to unplug the display and reconnect it or restart the Mac before the sound becomes audible again.
The update weighs in at 957 KB and requires either Mac OS X 10.6.4 plus the LED Cinema Display Software Update 1.0 or Mac OS X 10.6.5 or later.

Article Link: Apple Addresses Cinema Display Audio Issues With Firmware Update

Lostanddamned

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2009
London, UK
I was one of the first people to report this to Apple and they have been very good at communicating with me with regards to the problem.

Just FYI though, it takes an SMC reset to restore the problem, not just unplugging or a reset of the MacBook

Comment

Dinø

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2010
Macbook audio in general is flaky

I don't even own this display, but my MacBook's built-in speakers will randomly crap-out too, making a popping noise whenever I try to adjust the volume. The workaround for that is similar. I plug in some headphones and pull them back out, and my speakers are working again.

Comment

toschlebelge

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2010
Karlsruhe, Germany
Problem solved

Thank you!
I have had this problem for weeks and it's now solved.
(Yes, SMC reset was needed for me too, before).

Now it works, and I even did not have to reboot.

(Am I wrong or were similar patches and updates in Windows always a pain in the ass and you needed to basically reinstall you system? Here is was: Click, click, click. Done.) :)
The stock is up there for a reason!

Comment

ryantemps

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2010
Ontario, Canada
24" Cinema Display

My 24" Cinema Display has had issues with sound as well. I have to unplug the USB every once and a while to get it to work again.

Comment

ppilone

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
I wish they would release an update to fix the terrible yellowing of the 24" :(

(I realize they can't, just venting.)

Comment

akacaj

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2008
NY
Ive know this problem all too well. My solution was to plug in external speakers until they released this update. But now that its here it worries me that some people are still reporting issues even after the update. I hope we don't get stuck with a lemon.

Comment

jimmer-uk

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2008
I can't get a fix for my £1000 screen because I don't have snow leopard, really apple?! :mad:

Comment

Niko03

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2008
Hopefully this fixes the Skype issue.

What's the skype issue?

I had an issue were the microphone would cut out on the 27" after my MBP had gone to sleep after my kids would use it to Facetime me. I've installed the update, but have yet to confirm if it fixes the issue. (fingers crossed)

Comment

organerito

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2008
(Am I wrong or were similar patches and updates in Windows always a pain in the ass and you needed to basically reinstall you system? Here is was: Click, click, click. Done.) :)

You don't even know what you are talking about. Perhaps, it happened with Windows 95. It may have happened with XP, but Windows 7 is rock solid. I find it more reliable and better all around for the most part than Snow Leaopard.

Comment

bluemonkeyguy

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2010
ahhhh

this is horsecrap, they still haven't addressed the 1080p input problem for the LED cinema and 27in imac.

Comment

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
I was told I was one of the "first ten or so" to call regarding this issue. REALLY glad they fixed it. They sent me a new monitor last week after I sent mine back to them.

Comment

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
Unacceptable for a display that's ridiculously overpriced compared to others and marketed as a "premium" device.

Comment

nelmat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
I don't even own this display, but my MacBook's built-in speakers will randomly crap-out too, making a popping noise whenever I try to adjust the volume. The workaround for that is similar. I plug in some headphones and pull them back out, and my speakers are working again.

I suffered the same issue with an old macbook - the issue? Dirt in the earphone socket. Not Apple's fault, mine for not taking proper care when eating toast over the machine!

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.