Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

imacs_2011.jpg

Apple today released iMac Graphic FW Update 2.0, a firmware update to addresses graphics issues on the company's latest iMac models.
About iMac Graphic FW Update 2.0

This firmware update fixes an issue that in rare cases may cause an iMac to hang during startup or waking from sleep.

Do not shut off the power on your iMac during this update. Loss of power could result in your iMac failing to start up.
Apple has also posted a support document noting that the update addresses issues arising as a white screen during startup or vertical lines on the screen while in use.
In certain circumstances, your iMac (Mid 2011) may become unresponsive on startup, with a white or gray background on the display. You may also notice vertical lines on the display while using your iMac.
iMac Graphic FW Update 2.0 weighs in at 699 KB and requires Mac OS X 10.6.7.

Article Link: Apple Addresses Graphics Issues on Mid 2011 iMacs With Firmware Update

Eduardo1971

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2006
Lost Angeles, Ca. usa
I wonder what iMac this firmware addresses? I'm wondering it might be the 21 inch line (I also have the top-of-the-line i7 imac).

When I arrived home last night I ran software update and it found nothing for the AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB on my iMac.

Last edited:

spencer.jj

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2011
No screen after install

I installed it on my 2011 21.5 imac this evening. I left the room while it was running the update and restarting. I came back a few minutes later and the screen was blank (I assumed the computer was off). I hit the power button and nothing happened, but I could hear the fans whirring, so I held the power button down to power down the computer, waited a few seconds, then turned it back on. I could hear the tone as it restarted, the CD drive did it's little dance, and it seemed like the computer was booted up, but still no screen.

At this point called Apple Support, who had me reset the PRAM, which didn't work. Then I booted up the computer, did a ctrl+eject+return restart, which didn't do anything. Then I turned the computer off, unplugged for 15-20 seconds, and restarted, again with no screen.

Now I have to take my day old iMac to a service center to have it looked at. And I just finished getting all my data transferred over from my old PC...alas.

Anyone have any tips?

GeorgeFromTulsa

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2011
Borked an iMac, too

I installed it on my 2011 21.5 imac this evening. I left the room while it was running the update and restarting. I came back a few minutes later and the screen was blank (I assumed the computer was off). I hit the power button and nothing happened, but I could hear the fans whirring, so I held the power button down to power down the computer, waited a few seconds, then turned it back on. I could hear the tone as it restarted, the CD drive did it's little dance, and it seemed like the computer was booted up, but still no screen.

At this point called Apple Support, who had me reset the PRAM, which didn't work. Then I booted up the computer, did a ctrl+eject+return restart, which didn't do anything. Then I turned the computer off, unplugged for 15-20 seconds, and restarted, again with no screen.

Now I have to take my day old iMac to a service center to have it looked at. And I just finished getting all my data transferred over from my old PC...alas.

Anyone have any tips?

WISH I had a tip Spencer. I already returned one of 12 because it had the "jailbird" motif on boot the Firmware update was supposed to fix.

Now applying the Firmware borked another that's out in my car waiting a trip to the Genius Bar.

Thanks for the posting. I wont' try to fix it myself tonight, but will just call up and get an appointment tomorrow.

FYI three others took the update just fine, when I ran out of time needed to kill the other eight.

Cheers!

World Citizen

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
I have this problem on my macbook pro 2011.

Sometimes it wakes with black screen but keys are lit.
Sometimes it wakes with black screen and no lid keys
Sometimes it wakes with a scrambled screen... (lines over the screen)
Sometimes it wakes and he is very very very slow....

Only hard reboot will fix it.

catmistake

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2006
Anyone have any tips?

yes.

Do not do this:
I hit the power button and nothing happened, but I could hear the fans whirring, so I held the power button down to power down the computer, waited a few seconds, then turned it back on.

when updating firmware. The worst thing you can do when updating firmware is to not let it cook through, or interrupt the installation, power down and back up. That is just asking for a brick.

Don't second guess the firmware upgrade. Let it do its thing... it will sometimes take awhile, reboot itself to apply the upgrade, and then reboot itself again. The last thing in the world you wanna do is "hey... maybe this isn't working right... I'll try a hard power down and see if that fixes it." Major facepalm there.

Frosticus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2010
Bristol, UK
Tell me about it.

I'm just hoping a quick and simple firmware restoration will fix it. Will see later today.

Anyone know why there isn't a firmware restoration CD available to download for the new iMacs? It's something I'd have liked to try myself before taking it in to a repair shop.

D'oh! I mean, the update even warns you at the start to not interrupt it...

Patience is a virtue! :rolleyes:

spencer.jj

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2011
I did leave it sit for several minutes before I checked on it, and another several minutes even after I noticed the blank screen.

So either the update took a long time and I screwed up by interrupting, or something messed up with the update. How long did the update take to run for you all?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Smart, I noticed this bug in Windows and OSX. Glad to see its being fixed (I'll download it once I clock off work).

[top end stock iMac (6790 1gb), mid 2011]

Frosticus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2010
Bristol, UK
I didn't time it, but set it running this morning, went to make a cup of tea and it was done by the time I returned.. So, no more than 5-10 mins I guess...

opnop123

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2010
Didn't solve sleep issue

My mid-2011 27" can never wake up from sleep. Would love any ideas on this!

It goes to sleep fine whether I push the power button or from the apple menu. But waking up is the problem. Doesn't react to mouse/kbd. React to power button, with a reboot.

I know it goes to sleep as I recognize the timing and sounds from another imac.

Apple Care told me this is a known 27" issue and an update is coming. But today's update didn't improve anything.

Also tried holding down the power button 5 s while power cable disconnected, didn't help.

jcrMBP

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2006
Central Florida
The iMac isn't the only model that experiences this problem. My 17" MacBook Pro purchased last year does the same thing. It has from the beginning.

spencer.jj

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2011
I didn't time it, but set it running this morning, went to make a cup of tea and it was done by the time I returned.. So, no more than 5-10 mins I guess...

Thanks.

I ended up taking to a local Apple Service center, and they're working on it now.

GeorgeFromTulsa

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2011
yes.

Do not do this:

when updating firmware. The worst thing you can do when updating firmware is to not let it cook through, or interrupt the installation, power down and back up. That is just asking for a brick.

Don't second guess the firmware upgrade. Let it do its thing... it will sometimes take awhile, reboot itself to apply the upgrade, and then reboot itself again. The last thing in the world you wanna do is "hey... maybe this isn't working right... I'll try a hard power down and see if that fixes it." Major facepalm there.

The "black screen of death" is a known issue. Quoting from :apple: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1557

In the unlikely case that your computer displays a black screen after starting up, you can restore your computer's firmware back to factory condition. Follow the directions to restore your firmware.

As of last night, there was no firmware restoration download for the Thunderbolt iMacs.

The Firmware update worked find on three of four computers to which I applied it yesterday. The fourth is effectively deceased, much as Spencer described. It has appointment with Genius at Lourdes or Computer Graveyard, depending on how it goes.

Absolutely, let the Firmware update run. But the Black Screen of death with fans whirring is a borked Mac, not an unpdating Mac. Even so, give it some time. Miracles do occur! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.