Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
Originally posted by CmdrLaForge
And this really shows that they cannot really fix it. That sucks. :mad: :mad:

Yeah they can. The folks at Macfixit solved the problem by replacing the cabiling between the screen and logicboard with something beefier. But they had to grind a little off the case in back to acomidate the thicker cable, and Apple probably doesn't want to do that because of aethetic reasons (plus the extra disassembly on the case).

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Originally posted by Counterfit
Right, putting extra holes in the case, or making existing holes bigger, can have some adverse affects on the structural integrity of the case.

How did they fix it on the iBooks shipped after April 03 ? Why can't they fix it the same way for repairs ? Its still the same case !

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
i'd decided i'd had enough of messing around with my ibook - never knowing whether it was going to fail or not. So i called Apple UK, and got forwarded from person to person for about an hour. Eventually I ended up with a Norwegian Manager (possibly area manager?) who eventually offered me two choices:
-replacement with a 14" iBook G4
-replacement with a 12" Powerbook G4 (but only 1GHz methinks :()

before I feignted I managed to get the words "power..... booooook..." out of my mouth...

So, now I will have a nice new powerbook in my hands in 2-3 weeks, god willing... And even better, they'll let me keep my ibook (when it comes back from the shop) until i recieve the powerbook!!

Problem solved :D

Hob

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Originally posted by hob
i'd decided i'd had enough of messing around with my ibook - never knowing whether it was going to fail or not. So i called Apple UK, and got forwarded from person to person for about an hour. Eventually I ended up with a Norwegian Manager (possibly area manager?) who eventually offered me two choices:
-replacement with a 14" iBook G4
-replacement with a 12" Powerbook G4 (but only 1GHz methinks :()

before I feignted I managed to get the words "power..... booooook..." out of my mouth...

So, now I will have a nice new powerbook in my hands in 2-3 weeks, god willing... And even better, they'll let me keep my ibook (when it comes back from the shop) until i recieve the powerbook!!

Problem solved :D

Hob

How often has your iBook failed ? Was it the first time ?

JohnnyKnoxville

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2004
Edmonton, AB
I'm fairly freaked out by this. My iBook I bought last July works fine, but I am scared it is going to choke eventually. My iBook falls in the listed serial numbers. I bought it through a leasing company, it is a two year lease. Is there anything that actually causing this to happen in regards to how it is used or is it just chance? Seems that if they are all built the same way they will all eventually fail.:(

Dude your lucky you got a PowerBook. I wonder how many instances they are going to allow like that? Guess your machine has to actually die before they will do anything.

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
Originally posted by CmdrLaForge
How often has your iBook failed ? Was it the first time ?

2nd time. I just wasn't happy to have it happening again!

Originally posted by JohnnyKnoxville
I'm fairly freaked out by this. My iBook I bought last July works fine, but I am scared it is going to choke eventually. My iBook falls in the listed serial numbers. I bought it through a leasing company, it is a two year lease. Is there anything that actually causing this to happen in regards to how it is used or is it just chance? Seems that if they are all built the same way they will all eventually fail.:(

Dude your lucky you got a PowerBook. I wonder how many instances they are going to allow like that? Guess your machine has to actually die before they will do anything.
I guess I got lucky!

Nothing sets it off - it's entirely random. I suggest you just ride out the lease, then hire something else - if it breaks isn't it down to the leasing company?

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
I have to say, logic board problems in general seem eerily prevalent. The logic board on my PB 667 DVI fried just out of warranty too, which is a pretty expensive repair.

It's very frustrating...but then again, I suppose it makes the case for buying AppleCare, too! I didn't on the DVI model but, after learning that lesson, I did for my 1Ghz TiBook...

ashleyrm

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2004
6 month old ibook needs repairs

Took in my ibook (IBOOK 14.1 900/256/40/CMBO/AP/) to authorized apple dealer on Friday after screen went funky and then black. Replaced logic board and got it back yesterday. By last night the screen was going funky again. ERGGGGGHHHH!!! I guess it might be the wire thing that others are writing about. Anyway, its back to the apple dealer again. My ibook is NOT covered under the serial numbers, but is still under one year warranty until September. I feel as if I'm being forced to buy apple care to fix something that apple knows is a problem. Maybe by September they'll add more serial numbers!

Becky

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
ashleyrm said:
I feel as if I'm being forced to buy apple care to fix something that apple knows is a problem. Maybe by September they'll add more serial numbers!

You and several thousand other iBook G3 owners, beckster! I kicked up a fuss and they upgraded me to a machine with (i hope) less problems...

Good luck with your replacement(s)!

WinDoze9t8

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2004
I called Apple UK in November about the screen issue on my ibook-1 month out of warrenty. Customer Serrvice person I spoke to was aware that I own 9 macs, which, at the time were all within the 1 year warnety period. He suggested that if I covered the 9 macs with apple care, apple would fix my ibook for free, other wise it would cost me at least £200. Natraly I said no. and that was that, until 2 weeks ago. Since november i used the ibook with a projector. I called apple recntly about the extended warrenty program and apple agreed to fix it under this program. The machine was collected the next day and returned with in week. yippee

RobStar

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2004
Quick repair from Apple

I dropped my wife's iBook off at the local Apple retail store for the logic board repair and it was delivered back to us repaired within four days from Apple. I think that is extremely good turn-around.

DavPeanut

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2002
Maryland
Mine just went

Mine blew yesterday, and while I'm happy apple will fix it, i dont like the fact that it blew at all, since that computer is my life. I luckly got it working enought to make it a firewire drive for the iMac (hold T on the broken comp), and so i got off all the important stuff (school work, 2.6 GB music, etc.), but it still sux. My mom is bring it to the Tyson's Apple store, and it'll get shipped from there. I hope its back FAST, cause i need it. Mine was under Applecare anyway, so no big deal.

zyuzin4

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Eugene, OR
RobStar said:
I dropped my wife's iBook off at the local Apple retail store for the logic board repair and it was delivered back to us repaired within four days from Apple. I think that is extremely good turn-around.

ok, what the heck. Did you use the extended warranty logic board repair program, or was your computer still under apple care? I am asking because maybe the iBooks still under apple care take precedence. I dropped my iBook off at the Valley Fair Apple retail store on 2/15. I wasn't given a repair number so the only way I have to check my status is to call the store its self and have them tell me to try "option 4" on the automated phone system. I called on the 24th and they said it was in progress. I can't for the life of me figure out why this is taking so long! I was told 5-7 days when I dropped it off, I added a couple days to their estimate based on being a Sunday and the following day a holiday, they wouldnt have been able to send it out right away.

DavPeanut

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2002
Maryland
Its back

DavPeanut said:
Mine blew yesterday, and while I'm happy apple will fix it, i dont like the fact that it blew at all, since that computer is my life. I luckly got it working enought to make it a firewire drive for the iMac (hold T on the broken comp), and so i got off all the important stuff (school work, 2.6 GB music, etc.), but it still sux. My mom is bring it to the Tyson's Apple store, and it'll get shipped from there. I hope its back FAST, cause i need it. Mine was under Applecare anyway, so no big deal.

I got it back today. It seems to be fine, except for the battery. Its been plugged in for about 15 minutes, and it still has the charge symbol, but its on 0 percent. And its also still calculating the time till full. Thats really weird, plus its pretty bad, because i use this at school. Oh, now it finally got to 1%. Yay!

zyuzin4

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Eugene, OR
zyuzin4 said:
I called on the 24th and they said it was in progress. I can't for the life of me figure out why this is taking so long! I was told 5-7 days when I dropped it off, I added a couple days to their estimate based on being a Sunday and the following day a holiday, they wouldnt have been able to send it out right away.

After getting the run around, the applecare automated phone thingy was out of service, so thankfully I got to talk to an actual human being who was able to give me my repair number, cause the genius didnt. He said that he knew they had my ibook for a long time, but there were so many in for repair and it was first come first served. Today I was happy to find this

03/12/2004 18:22:00 PT
Unit Shippped/Completed
03/12/2004 11:54:00 PT
Begin Testing
03/09/2004 17:36:00 PT
End Hold
02/19/2004 12:31:00 PT
Begin Repair
02/19/2004 12:28:00 PT
Unit Received
02/16/2004 20:03:00 PT
Request Acknowledged
02/16/2004 17:04:13 PT
Repair Requested

DeeJay

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2004
-my ibook 700 (i bought 1,5 year ago) just had a logic board problem. now the apple dealer will replace it with the new one, however i cant find any information for how long apple will evaluate the logicboard?

Here is what apple said.
"The program covers affected iBooks for three years after the first retail sale of the unit. Apple will continue to evaluate the repair data and will provide further repair extensions as needed".

-i bought my ibook on july 2002, does that mean my logic board program will expire on july 2005?

-Could anyone tell me about the ibook logic board repair extension program?
Im in indonesia, and apple dealer here said the have no idea about that program.

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2003
DavPeanut said:
I got it back today. It seems to be fine, except for the battery. Its been plugged in for about 15 minutes, and it still has the charge symbol, but its on 0 percent. And its also still calculating the time till full. Thats really weird, plus its pretty bad, because i use this at school. Oh, now it finally got to 1%. Yay!

Try charging it while it's asleep. They charge faster that way.

DeeJay

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2004
i had my ibook repaired yesterday and nothin change with the spec. its still the same spec. (for those who think they will get a newer/the latest spec, you are wrong).

kaff

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2004
Missing hard drive

I've just got my iBook back, with a new logic board and a brand new hard drive. Has anyone else had their hard drive replaced?
Were you warned that they might do this?

How are we supposed to do a back up with a blank screen?!

:confused:

zyuzin4

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Eugene, OR
yeah my hard drive was replaced too. I had no data on it however as I wiped the drive earlier but no they didn't warn me or as if I had any data on the disk

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Logic Board Program Updated

Hello,

Apple updated today the Logic Board Repair Program. Now serialnumbers go UV220XXXXXX to UV342XXXXXX . That means iBooks produced until October 2003. :D

Cheers
CmdrLaForge

bilbo333

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2004
i need help with this great thing apple has come out with

I have a ibook G3 that is valid under this logic board repair thingy. But i had it repaired and it is working now. What does apple mean by eligible repair? Did it have to be repaired by apple or what?
thanks for you responce

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
bilbo333 said:
I have a ibook G3 that is valid under this logic board repair thingy. But i had it repaired and it is working now. What does apple mean by eligible repair? Did it have to be repaired by apple or what?
thanks for you responce
It just means that once you have a defect Logic Board you can sent it to Apple and they will repair it for free. Simple as that.

Cheers

Corozive

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2004
Essex. UK
Fixed but had to wait ages

My ibook was sent off to apple to have the logic board replaced, all the problems were sorted and when it came back they had replaced 60% of the laptop all the caseing apart from the lid was changed and most of the inside.

this was great but the only down side was that it took over 9 weeks i had to constantly ring and was given dates when it would be fixed and returned but they kept changing, this was so different from the last time it was fixed for the same problem a year ago it it was sent fixed and back within 4 days !!! maybe it was because it was outside the apple care???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.