Apple Addresses MacBook Pro Throttling Controversy After Working With YouTuber Dave Lee

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 24, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today responded to the throttling controversy surrounding the latest MacBook Pro models, noting that excessive performance degradation under extended workloads is the result of a software bug, with a fix rolling out now in the form of a Supplemental Update for macOS High Sierra 10.13.6.

[​IMG]

MacRumors received the following statement from an Apple spokesperson:
    The controversy began a week ago, when YouTube tech guru Dave Lee shared a video demonstrating that the new 15-inch MacBook Pro, maxed out with a six-core Intel Core i9 processor, was unable to maintain its base 2.9GHz clock speed while rendering a five-and-a-half minute 5K video in Adobe Premiere Pro.

In fact, the previous-generation 15-inch MacBook Pro with a Core i7 processor rendered the video in around 10 percent less time, a fact that wasn't well received by customers, some of which threatened to cancel their orders.

Apple says the bug affected performance on not only the high-end 15-inch MacBook Pro configured with a six-core Intel Core i9 processor, which has faced the most extreme throttling in tests, but also quad-core Core i7 and Core i5 configurations, extending to the latest 13-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar models.

Some amount of throttling is to be expected on notebooks under heavy thermal workloads, especially ones as thin as the MacBook Pro. Lee, however, argued it is the degree of throttling he experienced that is unacceptable.

Apple says it contacted Lee within 48 hours after he published his video, working with him to replicate his workflow. Apple eventually set up a system with a similar workflow, applied the fix, and both the 15-inch and 13-inch models then matched Apple's advertised performance rates.

A flurry of other YouTube videos and tests surfaced in the ensuing days, with mixed results based on varying workloads.

Marques Brownlee, who hosts the popular channel MKBHD, said the 15-inch MacBook Pro with a Core i9 exported his 8K sample video about 15 percent quicker than the previous 15-inch MacBook Pro with a Core i7. Faruk Korkmaz, who runs the YouTube channel iPhonedo, also found the Core i9 to perform "fantastic."

Apple for its part said it never experienced any issues with excessive performance degradation in its pre-production testing of the 2018 MacBook Pro, completed in June. The company did identify what it calls an isolated bug after digging deeper, and came up with what it calls a simple fix.

To be expected, Apple also talked up the new MacBook Pro, noting how most of what it has been hearing about the notebook from customers--including many professionals--has been very positive, including about performance.

Prior to Apple acknowledging this bug, speculation had mounted as to possible causes. One user believes that the throttling may have related to the power delivery chip, known as a voltage regulation module, reporting an over-power condition, throttling the CPU clock speed to scale back power.

In any case, it appears that Apple has addressed the problem.

Article Link: Apple Addresses MacBook Pro Throttling Controversy After Working With YouTuber Dave Lee

2. CerebralX macrumors 6502

CerebralX

Looking for a place of freedom and rationality
    That was addressed pretty quickly. Good on Apple.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nice, I figured they'd not be resting on their laurels.

4. nutmac macrumors 601

Apple probably should've issued "we are investigating the issue" earlier, but I am very pleasantly surprised by the update.

5. The Mercurian macrumors 68000

Wow. Apple admitting to a flaw in a timely manner!

Now... about the upgrade pricing.....

6. PaulRustad007 macrumors 6502

PaulRustad007

7. beanbaguk macrumors 6502a

beanbaguk

One has to think how “accidental” this actually was!

I also wonder what the reaction would be if this were a Microsoft or other product brand with the same issue...

8. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

9. matthew12 macrumors member

matthew12

"Software bug." Doubt it. But let's see if it actually fixes the issue.

10. iBluetooth macrumors regular

11. ondert macrumors 6502

ondert

So, the good news are the way? Let's see how they are going to handle the issue.

12. mvp2885 macrumors member

is everyone done bitching now? The smart people said it was a firmware or bug fix, which it was, but bangwagoners wanna jump on apple for everything :/

13. alex00100 macrumors 6502

Seriously? They had to do zero testing not to catch that.

14. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

15. JohnnyGo macrumors 6502a

That's what I like about Apple. Whenever they can fix something via software they do it pretty quickly.

On the hardware side, things can get dicey (antenna gate, etc) and solutions have to wait a new model...

16. pier macrumors 6502a

pier

BareFeats has had throttling problems on the 6 core i7 CPU too.

Let's wait and see what the update does before praising Apple.

17. Starship67 Suspended

Starship67

And there you have it. As suspected a software bug. This is exactly why I pay no attention to youtubers ever.

18. iMerik macrumors 6502a

Nope, already subtle bitchin' or side-complaints baked into the praise.

19. redheeler macrumors 604

redheeler

I definitely don't buy that this is an isolated bug, given the amount of users who experienced it. The official fix is probably the same one discovered by @winterny, which is to limit the power draw.

20. PTLove macrumors 6502

Very hard to believe Apple could not detect it given the workflow that exposes it (very normal video exporting).

Its good its fixed supposedly, but Apple does not look good here. If they actually performed "extensive testing" and failed to use Adobe Premier Export... thats not a good look.

21. jasonefmonk macrumors regular

It will be really interesting to see test results post-patch. I’d particularly like to see pre- and post-supplemental update tests with high workloads over long periods. Final Cut exports, Handbrake queues; these were where the computer fell on its face for some people.

22. Salty Pirate macrumors 6502

Salty Pirate

23. donster28 macrumors 68000

24. AnthonyHarris macrumors 6502

AnthonyHarris

Do let us know if it improves the performance of your 2018 MacBook Pro.