Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today introduced a new pair of headphones onto its online storefront that support an iPhone's Lightning connector in lieu of a traditional 3.5mm headphone jack (via The Verge). The "Audeze EL-8 Titanium Closed-Back Headphones" will run users $799.95 and are being touted by Audeze as the "world's first headphones with a fully integrated Apple Lightning cable."

audeze-1.jpg
The included Lightning cable streams a complete 24-bit digital signal from the iOS device to the speakers in the headset through a high quality DSP and 28-bit DAC, giving the headphones "superior performance" for not only music but voice calls as well. The company has also created a companion app that allows users to customize specific sound presets for the device, and the built-in microphone used for making phone calls also supports Siri.
The EL-8 model gives you a lifelike listening experience with an extended frequency response that opens up a new breadth of sound. Its driver is four times larger than most other headphones and gives excellent bass response along with extremely low distortion. To match the EL-8's impressive audio, its industrial design is by BMW's DesignWorks. And durable aluminum construction ensures that you'll have lasting enjoyment.
The EL-8's "Cypher Cable," which maximizes and enhances the sound quality of the iPhone's playback, is one of the added costs of the headphone's top-tier pricing, as pointed out by The Verge, resulting in a $100 premium over the standard EL-8 headphones. Still, in comparison to Audeze's LCD collection of headphones, its Apple MFi certified EL-8 lineup debuting today is somewhat of a bargain. Most LCD models range between $900 and $1,500, but the most expensive reaches nearly $4,000.

audeze-2.jpg

Those interested can purchase the Audeze EL-8 Titanium Closed-Back Headphones for $799.95 on the Apple online store beginning today. Shipping sits at about 2-3 business days at the time of writing, but anyone close to an Apple store could opt-in for personal pick-up instead.

Article Link: Apple Adds $800 Lightning Adapter 'Audeze EL-8' Headphones to Online Store

yticolev

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2015
If I was an audiophile, I think there would be glowing tubes in the background and not an iPhone! This is a bit of a silly mashup.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
I am pretty surprised that there is a set of headphones that they charge $800 for. Those things must provide some hi fidelity sound...or maybe its just overpriced

gadgetguy03

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2012
Might want to point out that these are from a third-party supplier and not Apple. Apple has just added them to their store.

sguser

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2010
Once iPhone7 is out, I wonder how much Apple 3.5mm to lightening adapter will cost. Probably at least $25

Reactions: 341328

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I am pretty surprised that there is a set of headphones that they charge $800 for. Those things must provide some hi fidelity sound...or maybe its just overpriced

The EL-8s have a really high frequency range and its peaks don't really distort under high volume. However if you're just looking for a cheap set of great listening headphones, a pair of Sony MDR-7506s will be more than ample. People even use those for mixing.

EL-8s are good at what they do, and yes they're expensive, but 'overpriced' is difficult to argue when they do the job they're meant to. Most consumers wouldn't think about sinking 10K on a computer, though you wouldn't see many recording studios running through a $200 Toshiba Satellite Pro! So 'niche' is a far better word I think. :)

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…

Still, in comparison to Audeze's LCD collection of headphones, its Apple MFi certified EL-8 lineup debuting today is somewhat of a bargain. Most LCD models range between $900 and $1,500, but the most expensive reaches nearly $4,000.

For me, this is ridiculous. But I'm not that much of an audiophile. If you can tell the difference and it's that important to you, more power to you. While I like the quality of the large headphones, for the money, Apple's included earbuds are good enough for me (though I may be in the minority). $800 is way to much. Heck, even $100 is a bit much. But that's just me.

I also wish these had a thunderbolt passthrough so you can power you iPhone/iPad while listening to something. Just saying.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I fully support the removal of the 3.5mm headphone jack. It's about time.
  • Because you prefer proprietary connectors that will only work with highly select hardware?
  • Because you desire keeping up with separate adapters to be able to use the same $800 headphones with non-Apple audio equipment (with the adapter probably priced at a typical premium for an Apple proprietary jack to standard jack adapter), and/or
  • Because you believe existing iDevices are too thick and thus the headphone jack must go in support of even "thinner" case designs (ignoring that the thinner iPod has a 3.5mm jack proving there is still plenty of room for "thinner" without having to go to an Apple-only proprietary jack)?
If yes to any of those, I'm guessing you are answering as a shareholder instead of as a consumer.

Last edited:

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
$800 headphones, $2000 speakers, $10000 watches (that are out of date every 1-2 years). This is comedy.

Why should a speaker get out of date ever other year? My speakers are 15, 6 and 2 years old. Don't plan to replace them, maybe just add new ones to other rooms. :)

My headphones lasted for 6 until the cable broke recently, the headphones prior to them lasted even longer until the ear cussions started to crumble apart. :)

Reactions: DocNYz

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Once iPhone7 is out, I wonder how much Apple 3.5mm to lightening adapter will cost. Probably at least $25

Hopefully that low. I'd guess $29.99 at the very low but more likely $39.99. I'd also envision a "pro" model that has an extra port for charging your iDevice while listening for $49.99 or maybe $69. And IMO, that adapter will probably be as elegant as the new Apple battery case referenced yesterday.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
  • Because you prefer proprietary connectors that will only work with highly select hardware?
  • Because you desire keeping up with separate adapters to be able to use the same $800 headphones with non-Apple audio equipment (with the adapter probably priced at a typical premium for an Apple proprietary jack to standard jack adapter), and/or
  • Because you believe existing iDevices are too thick and thus the headphone jack must go in support of even "thinner" case designs (ignoring that the thinner iPod has a 3.5mm jack proving there is still plenty of room for "thinner" without having to go to an Apple-only proprietary jack)?
If yes to any of those, I'm guessing you are answering as a shareholder instead of as a consumer.
There is nothing wrong with removing of that 3.5mm jack provided what is replacing it is inexpensive and ubiquitous.

Reactions: Deelron and Keane16

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I use an Otterbox case on my Touch. Those plugs are not going to work with it. I don't think they will even work with my iPhone Otterbox case.

What the hell is it with making big clunky plugs?

There is nothing wrong with removing of that 3.5mm jack provided what is replacing it is inexpensive and ubiquitous.

But how do you charge and listen with these headphones?

Buy another 'adapter'? Another thing to have to carry with you?

Last edited by a moderator:

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
Why should a speaker get out of date ever other year? My speakers are 15, 6 and 2 years old. Don't plan to replace them, maybe just add new ones to other rooms. :)

My headphones lasted for 6 until the cable broke recently, the headphones prior to them lasted even longer until the ear cussions started to crumble apart. :)

I believe the parenthetical statement was only in regards to the Watch

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5

Yes, but around here that will make perfect sense and several of us will soon formulate why that is a much better option than going with a well-established, thoroughly (and globally) ubiquitous standard that actually isn't in the way of the "thinner" objective as proven by another of Apple's iDevices already thinner than iPhone.

We just did with with MB. Popular ports were ejected and many of us made passionate cases why that is both right and even makes perfect sense. We even ignore that "thinner & lighter" numbers don't need to factor in the now separate parts some have to carry around to make it work with existing hardware (if one has to carry around the adapter just in case, it seems it should count in the "lighter" calculation). Personally, I don't love the idea of proprietary anything unless it brings HUGE advantage over established standards AND I detest the idea of having to carry yet another adapter around just in case I would need to plug my iDevice headphones of the future into any other non-Apple audio device.

I hope there is a tangible reason for this move beyond the profit motive of selling yet another premium-priced adapter and/or more lightning licensing deals with headphone makers. The price we consumers pay for it is not just in a $30 or $50 adapter but also all the times we will want to jack in to something but fail to have the adapter with us.

Once again (and IMO), this appears to be Apple solving a problem that none of us have... like the continuing strive toward "thinner" when none of us seem to be complaining about the onerous thickness of existing iDevices.

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007

As a guess Apple's wireless charging solution maybe?

But it's a good question. And if you look a the Retina MacBook - USB data transfer and charging is one or the other situation. Which on the MacBook is fine for me, but on the iPhone not so sure.

Hope it's a smooth solution whatever it is they come out with.

SgtPepper12

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2011
Germany
When you read stuff like "28-bit" DACs, you just know it's BS. Anyway, people who are into Hi-Fi probably want to have separate control over DAC, amplifier and Headphones. Nobody is going to shell out 800 bucks for a inflexible solution like that. You can literally only use that headphone on your iPod Touch, iPad and iPhone. Who would want that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.