Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kiwikat88

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2015
Texas
And you thought Beats were overpriced? Ha... take THIS!!

The difference is that Beats are below average to average for the price, far from the best deal around. Audeze makes top of the line products that are very well respected in the audiophile community. These demand a premium price tag because they actually ARE premium.

Reactions: smirking

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Because it is a digital stream via the Lightning port versus analog from the headphone connector. Audeze can then use their own DAC to perform high quality digital to analog conversion. Resulting in better sound quality than you could ever get through the iPhone headphone connector.

But analog to digital conversions don't add information. The sound is only going to be as good as the original analog signal or whatever the original source is.

Also, while I'm not scoffing at the price, I don't see why the company wouldn't sell a DAW interface with a Lightning port. I just don't see the thrill in downloading compressed music and them pumping them into headphones that are clear enough to spot all of the imperfections.

Kiwikat88

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2015
Texas
I just don't see the thrill in downloading compressed music and them pumping them into headphones that are clear enough to spot all of the imperfections.

I was kind of wondering about this as well. It feels slightly dishonest selling them without some kind of disclaimer, at least in a non-audiophile environment where people don't know what they're getting themselves into.

It is almost painful listening to MP3s with my LCD-X. Supposedly these are a little less resolving but I wouldn't think by a whole lot. My real question is what these do to battery life. It has got to be pretty ugly.

Reactions: Digital Skunk

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I hope not. Lightening is not an industry-standard jack. So if the EU settled on that one as THE standard, that would imply that everyone else's phones, tablets, etc will need to adopt it too. Since it's Apple proprietary port, why would they choose it? Instead, why not USB3c, which is an "open" standard?

If this is "forced" by a government(s), it seems they would settle on a port that is NOT proprietary and NOT owned by a single company.

But if Apple standardized on that for all of their stuff, their gravitational pull will warp the universe, and everyone will be doing it. You should know that by now... ;):eek:o_O

FelixAng

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2013
Hong Kong
Once iPhone7 is out, I wonder how much Apple 3.5mm to lightening adapter will cost. Probably at least $25

My guess is updated lightning headphone will come with the new phone, while the adaptor will be on the male-end audio cable and stay attached for non-lightning headphones. My guess is adaptor will be $10-15, in deference to the many people who wish to use old headphones.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
This has nothing to do with Apple nor Tim Cook. Audeze sets the price for their products.

They offer a premium product with excellent support. When my LCD-X had a driver die they basically did everything but replace the whole thing. Paid for fast shipping back to me too. They're designed, built, and supported in the USA on top of it.

And no, there is no 200 dollar set of headphones that is as good as an Audeze product. Please try again.
I can corrected.
This has nothing to do with Apple nor Tim Cook. Audeze sets the price for their products.

They offer a premium product with excellent support. When my LCD-X had a driver die they basically did everything but replace the whole thing. Paid for fast shipping back to me too. They're designed, built, and supported in the USA on top of it.

And no, there is no 200 dollar set of headphones that is as good as an Audeze product. Please try again.
Actually, you're right....not from apple.

alfm

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2011
They probably are worth the money because the bits go up to 28. The upgraded Dobly version will probably top $1k.

moxxham

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2015
Sydney, Australia
So does this mean that Apple will add a lightening port to all their macs so we can use these headphones? Highly unlikely. They will just try and make us buy the lightening to 3.5mm headphone jack converter

ctg7w6

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2014
Patience my dear, next year you'll buy a television which becomes obsolet ein about 12 months, and in 5 years time your car will be annually picked up by the agency with destination scrapyard. Be smart and recycle wise; the batteries have to be disposed seperately.

Honestly, that's just not true. I have a very recent TV and one that is 8 years old. I can still watch cable TV, satellite TV, hook up a blue ray player, video game system, etc.

I have a brand new car and a 10 year old car (luxury car, so my example isn't exactly perfect), and my 10 year old car is still, for the most part, amazing. It just doesn't have Bluetooth, but there are adapters for my phone.

However, the Watch will be out of date in like a year or two, or whenever the OS becomes so bloated that older ones can't function. And I really don't know anyone who buys a new TV every year because its obsolete. That is absurd.

Apple products have always been on a 3-5 year upgrade cycle, but now, mostly through the software, are practicing self-obsoletion and expect people to buy a new product every year. Even the two year model for phones has been reduced to one. Forget this.

And this is from the same company that promotes so many liberal values, but they make all of their money from people with money... The exact people they hate. Kind of ingenious, I guess. Redistribute the wealth through corporate means.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
Have you ever spent good money on a high quality computer, smartphone, or TV? This is no different. I've got a pair of their more expensive Audeze LCD-X and they just about knock over anyone who listens to them. Even skeptics love them after hearing them.

I cannot for the life of me understand why people are OK with spending money on a HDTV or 4K TV but won't spend money for higher quality sound. If you actively listen to music (not just put it on as background noise) you owe it to yourself to invest in some good headphones. The buds that come with your phone are absolutely awful. You seriously don't know what you have been missing.

No I don't have good headphones...however I do have subwoofers, speakers and amplifiers for my car that are all worth thousands of dollars. I am talking Digital designs subwoofers with kevlar cones, carbon fiber dust caps, subs with neodymium column motors, 7000 watts of power (RMS). Trust me these headphones don't hold a candle to what you can get in a car and the mark up on them is insane

Kiwikat88

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2015
Texas
No I don't have good headphones...however I do have subwoofers, speakers and amplifiers for my car that are all worth thousands of dollars. I am talking Digital designs subwoofers with kevlar cones, carbon fiber dust caps, subs with neodymium column motors, 7000 watts of power (RMS). Trust me these headphones don't hold a candle to what you can get in a car and the mark up on them is insane

So it's worth it in a car but not in headphone form? I can't say I've ever heard that argument before. I spend only a little over a half hour in a car every day. Some nights I listen to music for 4 hours. It wouldn't make sense for me to invest in a car sound system when I don't spend much time in a car. This is probably the case for most others as well.

A good pair of closed headphones can be enjoyed anywhere at almost any time.

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
In the audiophile world the EL-8 are actually considered a mid to lower end headphone, perfect for an on the go headphone to plug directly into your iPhone. There is a market for this style of headphone and they will sound night and day better then any sub-$800 headphone you plug into your iPhone. People who dispute the value here simply have never heard a headphone of this quality. Those of you who are curious and can afford to part with the cash once your jaw drops to the floor after listening to them should take advantage of Apple's return policy and give them a try. I think you will find yourself very impressed.

Reactions: Kiwikat88

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
But analog to digital conversions don't add information. The sound is only going to be as good as the original analog signal or whatever the original source is.

Also, while I'm not scoffing at the price, I don't see why the company wouldn't sell a DAW interface with a Lightning port. I just don't see the thrill in downloading compressed music and them pumping them into headphones that are clear enough to spot all of the imperfections.

This is an exaggeration as 256 AAC is not really that poor of a standard. In blind testing most people will never be able to tell the difference between that and uncompressed. It isn't about that difference though, this is about the vast difference in tonality, clarity, impact, balance, and soundstage that these headphones offer over cheaper models.

No one is listening for the insignificant difference between uncompressed and compressed, it is the significant differences otherwise that count the most. Once you hear some of your favorite tracks through these headphones you will never think about them the same again.

Last edited:
Reactions: rocknblogger

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
Pretty stupid purchase, considering knowing what dbags Apple are/is, they'll probably get rid of the lightening port in the iPhone 7 next year. I can easily see them going with a C port.

Kiwikat88

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2015
Texas
Pretty stupid purchase, considering knowing what dbags Apple are/is, they'll probably get rid of the lightening port in the iPhone 7 next year. I can easily see them going with a C port.

It does come with a non-lightning cable:

What’s in the Box?
Audeze EL-8 Titanium Closed-Back Headphones

Lightning cable with headphone amp and DAC

Standard audio cable for use with non-Apple devices

3.5mm to 0.25 in. plug adapter

Reactions: jazz1

ILikeAllOS

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2011
Tampa Bay
Wow, I didn't think Audeze would ever be such an early adopter.
Also to the people complaining about the price $800 in the audiophile world is nothing for headphones, especially from a high end brand like Audeze. Even the Sennheiser HD800 costs twice as much!
You guys should check out InnerFidelity if you think these headphones are mindblowing.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
So does this mean that Apple will add a lightening port to all their macs so we can use these headphones? Highly unlikely. They will just try and make us buy the lightening to 3.5mm headphone jack converter

I think they are absolutely going to add aLightning connector to their Macs, starting with the Retina MacBook, AFTER the iPhone 7 drops the 3.5mm jack. And then eventually every Apple product will have a Lightning connector. Why wouldn't they add a Lightning connector to their Macs when there's already one on their Mac accessories? It's a useable multifunctional port capable of USB 3.0 speeds, and as some have speculated may even measure up to USB-C standards.

Apple is pushing to move audio to a wireless standard, and eliminate ports on devices. Getting rid of the 3.5mm is a start, by eliminating a port that does one thing only. It will also allow Lightning devices like HDMI dongles, to be used across all of their products, reducing costs of duplicating the dongles for the Macs and iOS. I see Lightning being the standard for Apple even after USB-C has been replaced by something else. Maybe even lasting until all ports are replaced by wireless (the day will come).

GermaniDIOT

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2015
I own an LCD-X. Bought it last year as I was looking for something that gives me the best sound quality in the studio and at home. These headphones are the best thing I bought when it comes to sound quality. Ever.
Worth every cent, even if it hurt.

If I wouldn't have thrown that money at it last year, I would immediately run to the (online) store to check those for 1/2 the price. Wow, this is the coolest thing I read today. I now want one, too!!

Audeze rules. RULES!

Reactions: Kiwikat88

ddarko

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2007
I have a pair of the EL-8 but I doubt I'm going to order this lightning cable once it becomes available separately. Being unable to power and and listen to the headphones simultaneously is a dealbreaker. I stream 6 to 8 hours a day through my iPhone so battery life drains much faster than playing back locally saved files. With the new lightning cable, I'd likely have to stop using my headphones for some time period during the day to recharge the phone batteries.

Also, the lightning cable doesn't just have a built-in DAC - the Audeze product page says that an amp is integrated with the cable. No further details are provided about the amp aspect but that detail is one of the more interesting aspects of this announcement.

When you read stuff like "28-bit" DACs, you just know it's BS. Anyway, people who are into Hi-Fi probably want to have separate control over DAC, amplifier and Headphones. Nobody is going to shell out 800 bucks for a inflexible solution like that. You can literally only use that headphone on your iPod Touch, iPad and iPhone. Who would want that?

All the EL-8 cables detach from the bottom of the earphones. You just swap out the lightning cable for the 3.5mm jack cable.

Last edited:

Kiwikat88

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2015
Texas
Well, the audiophiles are going to like this, but most people won't care.

That is certainly true. I would not expect a non-audiophile to care about 800 dollar headphones, or even 300 dollar headphones. Unfortunately most consumers don't even see the reason to spend in the 50-200 dollar range. They don't realize what they're missing out on and most never even get the opportunity to try it out. There's so much stigma around audio quality for some reason. It is popular to think that audiophiles are either completely nuts, have super human hearing, or both. Most people could easily tell the difference between stock phone earbuds and a nice set of sennheiser headphones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.