Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

cbs_news_apple_tv_home.jpg
CBS News today announced the launch of a new ad-supported digital streaming news network, making the service available on the CBSNews.com website, CBS News apps for Windows and Windows Phone, and various connected television platforms. While the Apple TV was not announced as one of those platforms, a CBS News channel is indeed just debuted on Apple's set-top box.
The network features a 60-minute format delivering live, updated news content from 9:00 AM - midnight ET every weekday at launch, and it takes advantage of the interactivity of digital platforms through a unique video player and on-screen interface. It gives viewers the full flexibility within each hour to control what they watch and when they watch it via DVR-like functionality that allows them to watch previous segments and jump back into live programming seamlessly and across devices.
cbs_news_apple_tv.jpg
Beyond the live coverage with simulcasts of breaking news, the new channel offers a variety of supplemental on-demand content from sources such as CBS affiliates, CNET, CBS Sports, Entertainment Tonight, and more.

Article Link: Apple Adds CBS News Channel to Apple TV

burgman

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2013
Do you need a cable provider log in information to access this?
More commercials oh boy! Good question I have Directv and don't see the point to use any channel on my Apple TV that is on my Sat programing. I do watch them on my iPad though. Most Network apps suck though.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I've wondered why over the air broadcast stations haven't offered this before. You can already get them for free so a cable subscription shouldn't be an impediment. They can use the exact same ad supported model that they already use over the air.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
More commercials oh boy! Good question I have Directv and don't see the point to use any channel on my Apple TV that is on my Sat programing. I do watch them on my iPad though. Most Network apps suck though.

Sigh...... How about this:

You can use the Apple TV on a secondary TV in your house and get content without paying monthly for an extra set top box from direct tv.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I feel we need FOLDERS.

I can have a NEWS folder
SPORTS folder
MUSIC folder

to store all the App/Channels in.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
I feel we need FOLDERS.

I can have a NEWS folder
SPORTS folder
MUSIC folder

Move to Canada, buddy. Apart from the fixed items I only have YouTube, Vimeo, Crackle, Crunchy Roll and Netflix on my menu.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
Probably going to need cable subscription also for this typical Tim Cook in cable companies pockets. And do not care about news how allowing me to access HBO Go on Apple TV.

----------

When will they add Amazon Prime already the logic at Apple.

Deelron

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2009
It's a good step, now just work out delivering local stations using OTT delivery so commercials can still work and we'll have a party.

burgman

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2013
Sigh...... How about this:

You can use the Apple TV on a secondary TV in your house and get content without paying monthly for an extra set top box from direct tv.
Sigh... It's so hard posting on a forum. Don't be sad be happy Minime

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
Que the Whining....

whaaa whaaaaaa too many icons whaaaa whaaaaaaaa more useless channels whaaaaa whaaaaa my cable system won't let me watch whaaaaaaaa whaaaaa why isn't there an app store whaaaaaaaaaa cable sucks whaaaaaaaaa...... whhhhhiiiiiiiiine

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
I feel we need FOLDERS.

I can have a NEWS folder
SPORTS folder
MUSIC folder

Apple is horrendously oversimplifying structuring possibilities on devices that aren't Macs.
(and I fear that going from Aperture to the new Photos app I'll see this on my Mac as well)

It's so much easier to only have one level of folders, no subfolders, on iOS.
It's so nice to have files in apps, not in independent storage locations, on iOS. (it's gotten a bit better with file management, but the root design is still in-place. Oh and iCloud is not a solution)
It's so convenient to view only one group of contacts on iPhone compared to how Contacts for Mac works. (tick off everything but the one I want... Really?)
Navigating folders in Notes on iPhone isn't very efficient either.
etc...

Glassed Silver:mac

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I "tested" the CBSNews channel tonight after finishing Wreck It Ralph.

overall a nice channel. i watched some news. might have been able to do it live but think i was over the regular CBS News (on TV) time.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
I, for one, welcome the New World Order!

...no really, I cut the cord back in August. So Bloomberg, ABC News and now CBS News channels on the Apple TV are my main news sources. Keep 'em coming! :)

enigma2118

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2006
Moar channels! :)

I do like the options, but I actually just sold my ATV2. Figured now is the time I'd get the most $ for it. And it was bugging me lately. Just way too slow, and couldn't play half the movies on my airport usb hd, crashing and restarting all the time, audio and video synch issues all the time. Using a Mac mini now for HTPC, but it's not the best solution when it comes to UI. Too cumbersome.

I look forward to the ATV4. Just feel like we are in an in-between stage here.

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2010
Moar channels! :)

I do like the options, but I actually just sold my ATV2. Figured now is the time I'd get the most $ for it. And it was bugging me lately. Just way too slow, and couldn't play half the movies on my airport usb hd, crashing and restarting all the time, audio and video synch issues all the time. Using a Mac mini now for HTPC, but it's not the best solution when it comes to UI. Too cumbersome.

I look forward to the ATV4. Just feel like we are in an in-between stage here.

That is funny. You are at the exact stage I am but my jail broken ATV2 is working just fine and I'm debating if I should move it to another TV or keep it in my room. I picked up a refurbished quad Mac mini last week and am trying different options. I loaded XBMC on the mini but I acrually have more channel options on the ATV2. My thought is to use the mini to record a library and then cut the cord.... or I could just start reading more books as I'm really not finding a lot of stuff I want to watch!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.