Apple Adds Chinese Handwriting for Multi-Touch Capable Macs in New Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 8, 2009.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has seeded developers with a new version of Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) tonight. The build (10A354) adds one particularly interesting new feature to Apple's Mac operating system: Chinese handwriting recognition specifically for multi-touch capable machines.

Apple recently acquired Chinese handwriting technology for use in the iPhone, and appears to be incorporating this same technology into Mac OS X. Most interesting, however, is the fact that it is specifically enabled on multi-touch capable machines. We presume this to include Apple's notebooks which include multi-touch trackpads. While Apple does offer an English handwriting recognizer based on old Newton technologies, it is only available when you have a drawing tablet connected to your Mac. This could open the door to more novel uses for Apple's multi-touch trackpads.

Meanwhile, those who were waiting for the release of Mac OS X 10.5.7 today were likely disappointed. Apple has, however, seeded a new version (9J61) to developers tonight as well.

Article Link: Apple Adds Chinese Handwriting for Multi-Touch Capable Macs in New Snow Leopard

2. shiunn macrumors 6502

that'd be so cool! to be able to write chinese without an extra usb thingy

3. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

i think the correct one is build 10a355 for snow leopard!

4. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

太好了!:)

It makes sense that this should work on multi-touch trackpads since the iPhone can decipher Chinese handwriting.

I'm really looking forward to Snow Leopard. :)

5. magamo macrumors 6502

I hope it can also handle the Japanese version of Chinese characters. Handwriting recognition is really useful when you don't know the reading of a character or can't remember the exact shape and strokes.

6. str1f3 macrumors 68000

Can't wait for the day they replace the trackpad with a screen.

7. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

any chance that this means a multi touch mac is coming soon?

8. abhimat.gautam macrumors 6502

9. butterfly0fdoom macrumors 6502a

YESSSSSSS I'm getting so tired of not being able to handwrite characters.

10. doubleohseven macrumors 6502a

doubleohseven

That's awesome! Even though I don't write in Chinese. :eek: I'm looking forward to the multi-touch capabilities in Snow Leopard.

11. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Is it possible to make a pen that works on the trackpad? Maybe a nice layer of e-ink to go on top to simulate real paper?

12. str1f3 macrumors 68000

There is no reason why they can't. It's all software. I don't know about e-ink though. It saves on battery life but it's just as expensive as a display. Also have to consider the lack of color (at least in the current generation).

13. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

A simple layer of mono-chrome display (ie E-ink) for the trackpad would suffice. It's light and thin. With enough sensitivity it could be used as a signature input too. There's no need to incorporate a full colour LCD into the trackpad, how often do you look down there anyway? Black and white won't grab attention from the main display either.

14. Houston macrumors regular

Sorry, you're wrong. 10A354 is correct.:)

15. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Yes, if the pen stylus is conductive and transmits the user's capacitance according to Wiki.

16. kcroy macrumors regular

kcroy

My guess for the release of the tablet Mac is that it will finally combine multi touch screen, handwriting recognition, and speech recognition in ways that we have never seen before. This would be a revolutionary netbook to say the least. (No keyboard? Just multi touch, handwriting recog, and speech recog.) ;)

17. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Yeah -- next thing I need to do learn Chinese.

18. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

Seed notes on 10.5.7 anyone? Multitouch is awesome. That's cool that they're doing chinese writing.

19. DELLsFan macrumors 6502a

DELLsFan

Cool. With every seed, Snow Leopard keeps getting better and better.

20. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

http://www.worldofapple.com/ will likely have them soon.

Ooh - Court orders Psystar produce by noon May 18, 2009, the wanted documents.
    Is the multi-touch pad about to get a lot bigger for the next update of MacBooks?

Interesting to see another 10.5.7 seed too at the same time. Increasing the pace. Anyone who's getting it and knows Chinese - what's it like to use the multi-touch pad to write with?

21. Merkuryy macrumors regular

Merkuryy

Nice try, just wish bootcamp can run it through Windows. There's little I'm not happy with Mac OSX. Enjoy my handwriting with the trackpad, 欢迎史蒂夫-乔布斯回归

22. melaus macrumors newbie

That's fantastic. People wanted to input Chinese Characters to their Macs but don't know any input methods, this is a good thing for them. :)

Well done, Apple, makes everything just works.

23. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

24. aquaibm macrumors newbie

That's a nice move.Seems like Apple get another job well done.It's nice to be able to input my daily language without any additional input methods.

25. SydneyDev macrumors 6502

It is technologically cool, but would it really be faster to draw on the touchpad than to type? Maybe for old people who don't like keyboards?

I've seen Japanese keyboards that have various pen strokes on the keys that they combine to get a character. Also, they can type Japanese using an English keyboard by approximating the sound.