Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

maps.jpg
Apple added several new companies to its Apple Maps Acknowledgements page over the course of the past month, possibly hinting at future plans for improvements to its mapping app. The Acknowledgements page lists all of the sources that provide information to Apple for the Maps app.

New listings include GasBuddy/OpenStore and GreatSchools, two additions that AppleMapsMarketing speculates could lead to Maps upgrades like gas prices on gas station locations and school data for school locations. GasBuddy.com is a site that is designed to highlight local gas prices, helping users find the cheapest gas in any given area. GreatSchools.org is a community-based site that aggregates information about schools, including students enrolled, available programs, ratings, and academic test scores.

Apple has also added Yext to the page, a site that allows businesses to update their locations for multiple online sites at one time, but the company's partnership with Yext was previously known. The National Land Survey of Finland Topographic Database is also new, likely adding new maps data for the country.

Though Apple's acknowledgements page lists GasBuddy and GreatSchools, the above-mentioned data is not yet showing up in the Maps app, and it is unknown exactly when and if Apple will add gas price and school information to Maps. It's entirely possible that the company's partnerships with GasBuddy and GreatSchools have been established to bolster existing data on the locations of gas stations and schools.

Since Maps' rocky debut in 2012, Apple has made continued efforts to improve the app by hiring mapping experts around the world, fixing user-reported errors, and boosting points of interest through its data partners. Most recently, Apple added 10 new data sources to Maps, sometime around November of 2014.

Apple is rumored to be working on some major Maps improvements like transit directions and indoor mapping information, but the launch of these features seems to have been pushed back due to internal organizational issues. It is not known when Maps might see its next major update, but because there seems to be no sign of Maps upgrades in iOS 8.2 and iOS 8.3, it's possible Apple is saving the feature for iOS 9.

Update: iDownloadBlog spoke with a GasBuddy representative and learned that GasBuddy is not supplying Apple with gas prices. Instead, the company is sharing station information like brand name and address.

Article Link: Apple Adds 'GasBuddy' and 'GreatSchools' as New Maps Data Partners [Updated]

ButteryScrollin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2014
I've long thought Apple should buy GasBuddy and integrate it with Maps.

"Hey Siri, where's the cheapest gas near here"

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
I've long thought Apple should buy GasBuddy and integrate it with Maps.

"Hey Siri, where's the cheapest gas near here"

I'm sorry ButterySCrolling, I am unable to find "Cheap Gas" near your position. Are you sure you didn't mean "Closest McDonalds"

if we're talking about "cheap gas" afterall :p
:p

Singin Hobo

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
Texas
I'd love to have better school information. I'm a vendor in several schools districts and half the time I have to stop and look up the address on websites or switch to Google maps. Siri is twice as worthless in this area too. If I ask her for "Washington Middle School" and include the name of another city she just sends me to whatever the nearest school is to where I am.
Hopefully the new info will be a big improvement for this.

Nicksd84

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2010
Atlanta, GA
As a frequent maps user I can say the maps app has jumped tremendously in reliability over the last year. Google still beats them on POI and search functions, but other than that I pretty much use Apple maps daily now. Looking forward to the updates.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Gas Buddy is my savior. That and Waze. Nothing beats Waze. Sorry Apple & Google Maps.

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
I'm sorry ButterySCrolling, I am unable to find "Cheap Gas" near your position. Are you sure you didn't mean "Closest McDonalds"

if we're talking about "cheap gas" afterall :p
:p

if i was a famous movie director, i'd make nothing but movies with titles like "Closest Subway Station" or "Nearest Starbucks" and make sure to hire amazing screenplay writers, and big name actors. and make TONS of sequels, so they're constantly playing in theaters. :cool:

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Gas Buddy is my savior. That and Waze. Nothing beats Waze. Sorry Apple & Google Maps.

Agreed on Waze. Fantastic navigation App.

However, At least Apple Maps use waze integration to report on traffic and incidents, so Apple adding more reporting tools to their maps will always be good for the consumer and a boon for Apple Maps.

good on Apple

macintologist

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2004
For the past year I have been submitting "road closed due to quartz mine" reports and they STILL haven't updated it!!

Apple Maps link

Google Maps link

See the difference? If you use Apple Maps for directions you will literally drive into a mine!

jdoll021

macrumors 6502
As a frequent maps user I can say the maps app has jumped tremendously in reliability over the last year. Google still beats them on POI and search functions, but other than that I pretty much use Apple maps daily now. Looking forward to the updates.

Agreed. If I need directions or to find some major POIs, then I use the Maps App. For most other POIs, street view and transit directions, I use Google Maps (though I don't like how they handle transfers currently). For traffic, Waze all the way!

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
Great that Apple seems to improve Maps every day. But I think it might be too late. Due to their shaky launch, many people don't trust Maps, and use Google Maps instead. Don't know what it'll take Apple to get back their trust - I am for example still using Google Maps, as Apple Maps could not even find my address months after being released. Also, their aerial images in my area was a huge joke. Living in the 3rd largest city in Denmark (Odense), and 1/3 of the whole city's satellite image were covered by a huge cloud..

It has definitely become a greater app, but as I bicycle a lot, I still miss bicycle directions - something which Google Maps gives me, where it selects cycle tracks etc.

AlecZ

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
Berkeley, CA
Getting the cheapest gas within a small area doesn't really make much of a difference unless 76 is involved. They still sell regular for $4.00 at one station in my hometown!

iLoveiTunes

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011

google bought Waze a while back AND the underlying data used by Waze is supplied by google.

only differentiating factor (for me at-least) is the cop alerts :p:p:p

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
Every time there's an Apple Maps article on here, I go on Apple Maps, check a heavily traveled roadway in my hometown that has been changed for almost a couple of years now, and see if Apple Maps has been updated. I have sent feedback to Apple every time, and I think last time I wrote for them to check Google Maps in the area because the roads were corrected in Google Maps almost immediately after the construction was finished. I'm happy to report that today when I checked, Apple maps is corrected! Still not a big confidence booster given that it took so long to fix the area, but it's a positive.

dredlew

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2014
Japan

I agree, although I still don’t understand the slow progress overall. Even if there may have been team disputes, Apple has almost infinite financial resources to hire people and buy companies to make Maps outstanding. Also, there is no reason that aerial images for 3D satellite view is only limited to a few cities. After all these years, the whole planet should have 3D imagery available.

Priorities with Maps is just a mystery.

AlecZ

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
Berkeley, CA

Apple Maps has been better than Google Maps nearly from the start for me EXCEPT for when I search for POIs. It has always been horrible with POIs. They lack data, and they lack a proper search algorithm. So I have Google Maps just as backup in case I need to search by business name or something.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I really like and use GasBuddy.

would be nice to have that built into Siri.

Also, I have been using AppleMaps since the debut and find it great near me. I do use Google Maps on the Mac more than Apple's Maps.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Great that Apple seems to improve Maps every day. But I think it might be too late. Due to their shaky launch, many people don't trust Maps, and use Google Maps instead.

I thought this too, but it turns out simply being default on iOS has caused a lot of people to switch to Apple Maps.

I agree that the Apple Maps data isn't anything compared to Google Maps.

Also, if they improve Apple Maps and it becomes only a problem of perception, Apple will know how to change the perception. :)

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Awesome!

Very often, I'm out driving and want to easily find cheap gas or a school with a strong Social Studies program.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Fantastic, now I can drive 10 miles out of my way to save 47 cents on a tank of gas!

Sorry, I guess I don't get GasBuddy. The stations near me are always within a few cents of each other. I get gas where it's convenient, not where it's cheapest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.