Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Fantastic, now I can drive 10 miles out of my way to save 47 cents on a tank of gas!

Sorry, I guess I don't get GasBuddy. The stations near me are always within a few cents of each other. I get gas where it's convenient, not where it's cheapest.

The value of GasBuddy is when there is a meaningful price difference between the convenient nearby gas stations. (Which, for me, is 100% of the time.)

So in your particular case, living somewhere where gas prices seldom vary among stations, I don't think you need it.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
That'd be an awesome addition. I noticed that flyover data has quickly spread around me as well which I use often to get a sense for the area.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
For the past year I have been submitting "road closed due to quartz mine" reports and they STILL haven't updated it!!

Apple Maps link

Google Maps link

See the difference? If you use Apple Maps for directions you will literally drive into a mine!

Both these links are for google maps. One with satellite view and the other without

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
This just underscores how slow Apple is with everything. I'm still amazed on people still trying to use Apple Maps.

Siri is a complete waste of time such that I turned it off.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
My Gas Buddy is Costco.

----------

This just underscores how slow Apple is with everything. I'm still amazed on people still trying to use Apple Maps.

Siri is a complete waste of time such that I turned it off.

Hmm. Use it every day for a myriad of things. Works great for me.

Same is true of Apple Maps.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
people still use apple maps these days?

Jep. It’s decent enough for me, no bells and whistles. I happen to like the navigation UI, as well as the smooth performance. Siri’s voiceover alone is a reason to prefer it for navigation.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I've given up on Apple maps, to be honest. Which is too bad because it's the only option on CarPlay. It's just misrouted me too many times, into too many dead ends and away from too many destinations.

I'm glad to hear they keep improving it, but I think it's too late for me.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
people still use apple maps these days

Apple Maps usage has been rising for two years.

It has always been more accurate for me (US city, with Flyover) than Google Maps. Google would regularly send me to a restaurant/etc. blocks away from the actual location.

Apple Maps has also always been poorer than Google at interpreting a search for "amost the right thing." Google knows what I mean anyway! Apple needs to catch up. (Same applies to App Store and iTunes searches.)

That's not enough for me to put up with Google Maps' failings. But I don't go around advising people to stay away from Google if it's what works for them. It's nice having two good options (and more).

People have always had problems with Google map errors. Always will. Same with Apple, Waze, etc. But the media didn't tell us to pay attention to Google's errors. So we shrugged them off: not a perfect service, but still awesomely useful!

But with an Apple logo on the SAME kinds of little errors, it was made out to be the end of the world :) People noticed when the media raised a constant hue and cry, and every Apple error they saw, they remembered and did not shrug off.

See: Confirmation Bias
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Fantastic, now I can drive 10 miles out of my way to save 47 cents on a tank of gas!

Sorry, I guess I don't get GasBuddy. The stations near me are always within a few cents of each other. I get gas where it's convenient, not where it's cheapest.

I use it constantly. This isn't NYC, 10 miles only gets me halfway home. Dozens of stations in that drive, several zones of pricing. Might as well get the best price.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I'm impressed with the pace at which Apple Maps is catching up to Google in the data and features that matter.

I use Apple Maps exclusively now because it's just easier to ask Siri. I don't miss Google Maps' transit directions because 3rd party transit apps are so well integrated into iOS. The Transit app is in my notifications centre and it even has built in Uber.

When it comes to Street View, I actually prefer flyover because it's easier to quickly navigate around. In Toronto, the detail has gotten to an impressive level where you can see details of storefronts from a birds eye view. I also find Flyover to be more uptodate than StreetView. Toronto is going through a building boom so you can easily tell as Flyover gets updated.

Strategically, Apple Maps was absolutely necessary. Apple couldn't rely on their main direct competitor for what would become a critical feature of CarPlay and ultimately the Apple Car if the rumours are correct. There was some pain in the transition but they had no better option than to quickly pull off the bandaid.

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Still no transit directions. Driving is as easy as going from A to B in a more or less straight line. Taking public transport is usually

Take Subway Line 11
Exit through Exit B
Take bus 518/519 to station X
Switch to bus 101/09 and travel to station Y
Walk 800 meters and reach target.

geenosr

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2007
South
Gas Buddy is great!

I see the update which says gas prices won't be integrated in Apple Maps, and I'm very disappointed in that decision. Maybe Apple will re-think this and add price info. I bet Google will be more than happy to step in and add this in their maps. I truly found it indispensable as gas prices here can vary 15-20 cents/gallon between stations less than 3 miles apart.

I used gas buddy every day and it is a fantastic app/website. I would voice record the prices of gas at the gas stations I passed as I went to work, and then enter the prices when I got to work. Where I live there are many people (including me) who help keep it updated, so it works well in my area. I now have a Nissan Leaf and don't buy gas anymore, but I still put in prices because I believe in the service it provides.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
lol @ GassBuddy...

Good name...

However we have something like this here in Australia... no app per say, but a website that does the same thing called FuelWatch..

(My second choice of app names would have been GasGuzzler)

Update : However, since its no longer supplying gas prices to Apple just info.... just addresses.... well...... Fuelwatch is still number #1 here :)

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
Agreed on Waze. Fantastic navigation App.

However, At least Apple Maps use waze integration to report on traffic and incidents, so Apple adding more reporting tools to their maps will always be good for the consumer and a boon for Apple Maps.

good on Apple

I would be very surprised if this were true. Google had bought Waze and integrates its traffic reports into Google Maps. Not in Apple Maps.

Apple made a huge mistake when it did not purchase Waze.

I have completely switched to Waze. Never looked back. The only reason why I liked Apple Maps is because it was prettier. I loved how it looked in iOS 6. But since iOS 7 it's just boring flat and white.

ayembee

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
Tokyo
Sadly it's still absolute crap outside the U.S., and essentially unusable in Japan (where I live...) Was really hoping it would get better after a few more years, but it hasn't, and the lack of integrated public transport directions is a joke in a city like Tokyo :(

pear21

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
Michigan

Let's say you take a drive that is 10 miles and you need to get gas on your way, take a look at gas buddy and it might say the first station you see is the cheapest so why not stop there instead of not knowing and you keep driving and then you pay some more, it all ads up.

I see no problems with gas buddy, anything to save a couple of bucks here and there is great.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
The worst part of this IMO is that the people in the boardroom probably think these collaborations will improve Apple Maps when the reality is that their POI data contines to be woefully inadequate (two and a half years later).

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Sadly it's still absolute crap outside the U.S., and essentially unusable in Japan (where I live...) Was really hoping it would get better after a few more years, but it hasn't, and the lack of integrated public transport directions is a joke in a city like Tokyo :(

It's still absolute crap in the U.S. as well, if that helps...

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006

A good rule of thumb is that it's generally only worth driving 1 mile out of your way per $.01/gallon savings on gas. The math holds up regardless of your mileage, because mileage is generally directly proportional to tank size.

On the other hand, if the station is 10 miles away, but it's along the route you were already planning, why *not* stop there if you need to stop anyway (and you can make it)?

tresmith

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2014
people still use apple maps these days?

yup two features that I love is the auto switch to night view and the auto switch to walking directions from driving directions when I get out the car.

Normally I don't really need the walking directions since I know where the place is already. I just think it's really slick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.