Apple Adds Phobio as New Mac Trade-In Partner

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 20, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today updated its Mac recycling program to partner with a new company, replacing longtime partner PowerOn with Phobio, a company that promises a seamless device buyback program. Apple's recycling program is designed to offer Apple users cash for their old devices by providing simple trade-in options.

Starting today, when you use Apple's Renew and Recycling program to recycle a Mac desktop or notebook, Apple will now direct you to Phobio's site where you can find your Mac by entering a serial number. After answering a couple of questions about condition, Phobio offers up a price estimate and lets users choose an Apple Store Gift Card, Paypal, or Virtual Visa Reward as a payment option.

[​IMG]

According to a source that spoke to MacRumors about the partnership change, Apple opted to go with Phobio because the site offers higher trade-in values, is easier to navigate, and provides an option for cash payments alongside Apple Store Gift Cards, something that wasn't available via PowerOn.

Based on our testing, Phobio and PowerOn offer similar trade-in values for many machines, with PowerOn offering a slight edge in value for newer Macs, while Phobio seems to have slightly better pricing for some older models.

Apple is only partnering with Phobio for Mac trade-ins at the current time. For PC trade-ins, Apple continues to work with PowerOn, and for iPad and iPhone trade-ins, Apple is still using longtime partner Brightstar.

Article Link: Apple Adds Phobio as New Mac Trade-In Partner

2. Swift macrumors 68000

Swift

I tried to use the previous trade-in partner, and it was incomprehensible, so I went back to gazelle.com.

3. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68030

MuGeN PoWeR

4. btrach144 macrumors 68000

btrach144

Just sold my broken 2011 MBP to Gazelle for $150. Pretty good considering it's basically good for parts at this point.

Apple was willing to give me $0 for it.

I think we know who I went with.

5. nikicampos macrumors 6502a

$70 dlls for a 13" MacBook Pro mid 2010 with a new charger hahahahahaha

The charger alone was $79 dlls, replaced it 4 months ago, what a joke.

6. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I'll pay the full original retail price for a working Apple I PC board and recycle it for you. Great deal! You got to use your brand new Apple I from Steve Jobs and Woz for over 40 years for free.

7. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

I never liked the trade in program.
    "I'm gonna buy the new imac pro...wait a minute. Why is my special inital on that screen? Didnt i trade in my imac 2011 with my inital on it?"

8. masterhiggins macrumors regular

Here's my competitive buyback plan: I'll buy your MacBook Pro for $500 and sell it for $1500 on eBay.

9. iMerik macrumors 6502a

We do know, because the first thing you said was, "Just sold my broken 2011 MBP to Gazelle..." :p

10. dingle19 macrumors member

11. Internet Enzyme macrumors 6502a

Internet Enzyme

Why wouldn't you just sell your computer on Amazon? That site offered me $500. On Amazon I could sell it for $800.

12. testcard macrumors 68040

testcard

13. QCassidy352 macrumors G4

QCassidy352

The amounts they offer are insanely low. I can't see going with them unless you just want to get rid of the old mac and be done with it as fast as possible.

14. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I understand the ease appealing the people wanting to use these types of services, I would just rather deal with Craigslist and get more money.

15. CerebralX macrumors 6502

CerebralX

Looking for a place of freedom and rationality
    They sound like the GameStop of computer trade-ins.

"What is that you got there? A fully specced out Mac Pro? I think we can give you $83.57 for that"

16. eRondeau macrumors 65816

eRondeau

God these companies have stupid names. "Phobio" sounds like a horror movie title, and what's this Health Gorilla announcement that also came out today? What do Gorillas have to do with your health, and why would I trust a bunch of Gorillas with my private health records? Would you want your baby delivered at the Gorilla Hospital? These are the kinds of companies that should die a quick natural death and fade into oblivion because they're just dumb ideas from the start. It's bizarre that Apple is now legitimizing them.

Afterthought: I guess Apple is a pretty stupid name for a computer company too LOL!

17. dtemp macrumors member

I've used PowerOn and I agree that they pay low. They ask about model CPU speed and that's about it: no extra money if, say, your 13" MacBook Air 1.7GHz is Early-2015 instead of Early-2014, if your SSD is 512GB instead of 256GB.

I haven't used this new company, but I have used Mac of all Trades, which paid much higher.

Keep in mind I'm a business customer and sell them used laptops from my company by the dozen, so YMMV with one-offs.

18. Mark Booth macrumors 68000

Mark Booth

I just input the serial numbers for a cheese grater Mac Pro. It said the serial number was not found. Then I tried the serial number for a 24" Cinema Display. Again, serial number not found.

Not impressed.

Mark

19. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

I got $600 for a 2013 MacBook Pro. Low, but hassle free.

20. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

Lol....$590 for a fully decked out 2015 13 inch MBP in perfect condition

21. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

$2.00 for a mint iPhone 3GS. (And it's the scarcer 32GB white one too. . .)
    I'm bummed. I remember waiting hours in line to get that iPhone on release day.

22. madaski macrumors member

Just for fun, I price shopped my late 2016 MacBook Pro 1TB 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7 and was quoted $1205 from Phobio vs. Gazelle who would give me $1629. I asked one of their agents what benefit would it be to me go through them and their response was:

"Currently our values for trade ins are set with Apple. There are many competitors in the market and Gazelle has great pricing for used devices. Our lab tests all machines and will adjust quotes according to the condition of the machine and its specifications. Our payout options for trade in are with Visa, PayPal and an Apple Store gift card. I would say the major benefit to you would be the convenience of our shipping methods and the quick turnaround time to get your money for your device."

So, moral of the story kids - don't use Phobio. It's just another way for Apple to stick it to us. Use Gazelle or Amazon.

23. schopaia macrumors member

schopaia

$15 for a 2009 imac with all options marked 'yes'. I could get more on ebay just for the keyboard.

24. btrach144 macrumors 68000

btrach144

:D guess you can tell who didn't get enough sleep last night :D

25. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

You're like some kind of Sherlock Holmes!