Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has just added multiple 2018 Mac mini models to its US online refurb store, offering customers potentially hundreds of dollars in savings on a variety of configurations.

macmini2018.jpg

Last month, Apple updated the Mac mini, but the only change it made was that standard configurations now come with double the storage capacity for the same price.

Prior to that, Apple's 2018 Mac mini refresh came after more than four years without an update. So if you're in the market for Mac mini, the refurb store is definitely worth checking out first.

For example, a refurbished Mac mini with 3.0GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5, 16GB of memory and 512GB of storage can be had for $1,099, bagging you twice the amount of RAM for the same price as the base 2019 model offering otherwise identical specs. Doubling the memory on the 2019 base configuration costs $200 during checkout, so this is a great saving.

Elsewhere, refurbished pricing on 2018 Mac mini models starts at $599 for a Mac mini with 3.6GHz quad-core Intel Core i3, 8GB of memory and 128GB of storage, offering a saving of $100 on the original price.

Apple says certified refurbished ??Mac mini? models are thoroughly inspected, tested, cleaned, and repackaged, with all manuals and cables included in the box. In our view, a refurbished Mac is virtually indistinguishable from a brand new one. They're also backed by Apple's standard one-year warranty.

A refurbished Mac's warranty can be extended to three years from the refurbished purchase date with AppleCare+.

Article Link: Apple Adds Raft of 2018 Mac mini Models to Refurb Store

Last edited:

Blackstick

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2014
Sunny South Florida
What does Apple do to customer return items that don’t meet their standards and hence can’t be sold at the refurbished store?

Returns often get refurbished, but they’ll always have a brand new shell so you’ll never really know. Having bought refurb Apple products for 15 years, I’ve never once had an issue and saved a considerable amount. With the same warranty as a new one and AppleCare as an option, you’re well covered.

Comment

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
What does Apple do to customer return items that don’t meet their standards and hence can’t be sold at the refurbished store?

My understanding is they test/inspect/clean them and sell them as refurbished. They likely keep some for replacements as well.

Comment

ericwn

macrumors 604
Apr 24, 2016
Returns often get refurbished, but they’ll always have a brand new shell so you’ll never really know. Having bought refurb Apple products for 15 years, I’ve never once had an issue and saved a considerable amount. With the same warranty as a new one and AppleCare as an option, you’re well covered.

I doubt they’ll swap the shell on the 2018 minis anymore if not necessary. It seems a ton of work based on the tear aparts on ifixit.

Comment

madmin

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
They rarely have any refurbished minis on the french store. They had some about a month ago, for a week or so. Then they increased the standard SSD size but upped the prices of all BTO options, probably due to exchange rate moves. I think it's a bit rich marking them as NEW when they've not updated anything else though.

Comment

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I can't upgrade SSD.

No biggie, just get decent sized internal storage and hang an external off a TB3 port. I've got a 1TB TB3 external, it's tiny, extremely fast (approaching internal storage speeds), and my Mini goes TU, my personal data (ex: photos library), is isolated from the machine (especially nice if it gets swapped).

Comment

locovaca

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2002
Iowa
No biggie, just get decent sized internal storage and hang an external off a TB3 port. I've got a 1TB TB3 external, it's tiny, extremely fast (approaching internal storage speeds), and my Mini goes TU, my personal data (ex: photos library), is isolated from the machine (especially nice if it gets swapped).

Agreed. I have a 2014 mini and 256 internal pcie with a 1TB sata SSD. I keep my home on the 1TB drive and system on the pcie storage and you cant detect the difference in speed nor does the system work any more or less convenient. Of all the devices to have limited internal storage a desktop PC is the best case scenario to make it as painless as possible.

That said, the pricing on the 1tb refurbs are very tempting!

Reactions: LeadingHeat
Comment

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Agreed. I have a 2014 mini and 256 internal pcie with a 1TB sata SSD. I keep my home on the 1TB drive and system on the pcie storage and you cant detect the difference in speed nor does the system work any more or less convenient. Of all the devices to have limited internal storage a desktop PC is the best case scenario to make it as painless as possible.

That said, the pricing on the 1tb refurbs are very tempting!

Yeah, the $1779 for an i7, 32GB, 1TB is the same I paid Sep '19 for mine with 512GB storage (using refurb prices for both).

Nice.

Comment

jasnw

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2013
Seattle Area (NOT! Microsoft)
I haven't been following this issue, but did the "coil whine" problem that popped up right after these were released ever get sorted out? I'm wondering if some/many of these refurbished models were returned for that reason, and if so whether or not that problem was fixed.

Comment

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014

I bought some refurb products in the past, good deals and never had a problem. They look brand new, not a scratch or a dent, new battery. And you have the warranty

Comment

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
I haven't been following this issue, but did the "coil whine" problem that popped up right after these were released ever get sorted out? I'm wondering if some/many of these refurbished models were returned for that reason, and if so whether or not that problem was fixed.
Mine didn't suffer from coil whine....until I brought it from the office (with background air conditioning noise) into a silent home environment.

Amazingly, my Mac mini really is quite noisy! It sounds very similar to an old school spinning HDD. It was also noisiest when performing a massive Dropbox and mail sync and indexing. Now it is much quieter, and I don't notice it much. It is even quite a relaxing noise.

Interestingly...I can also now here the internal PSU (or something else?) on my external monitor! Dell U2711.

It shows how noisy the background noise levels are at work in my office!

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.