Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is continuing to add new providers to its Single Sign-on feature in tvOS 10.1 and iOS 10.2, and today introduced Single Sign-on support for four new providers: CenturyLink Prism, Hawaiian Telcom, MetroCast, and GTA (available in Guam). GVTC Communications, previously listed as a Single Sign-on option, has been removed.

With the new additions, when tvOS 10.1 and iOS 10.2 become available for the public, Single Sign-on will be available for eight cable subscription options: DirecTV, Dish, Hotwire, Sling TV, CenturyLink Prism, Hawaiian Telcom, MetroCast, and GTA. Apple will continue adding support for additional providers as it manages to secure the necessary deals.

singlesignonproviders.jpg

Single Sign-on allows Apple TV and iOS users to enter their cable credentials once and then sign in to all available live cable content, even across multiple apps. Single Sign-on works automatically when you have a cable subscription through a participating provider, prompting you allow a compatible app to use your sign in credentials.

Many cable channels offer individual apps on the Apple TV and iOS devices, but still require cable authentication to access content. Without Single Sign-on, users need to enter their cable information for each app, a process that's a huge hassle.

Apps that take advantage of Single Sign-on and user cable subscriptions will be easier to find and track in tvOS 10.1 and iOS 10.2, with content located in the new "TV" app that's been introduced.

We expect to see tvOS 10.1 and iOS 10.2 introduced to the public next week alongside macOS Sierra 10.12.2 and watchOS 3.1.1.

Article Link: Apple Adds Support for Four New Single Sign-On Providers Ahead of iOS 10.2 and tvOS 10.1 Release

Reactions: jjm3

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
This can be a new series along with Apple Pay. Some middle-of-nowhere apartment provider is now on TV SSO!

Reactions: profets

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
hawaiian telcom? haha...possibly the smallest provider, but will gladly take it. love them...awesome fiber speeds and great prices. glad to see they're being proactive and forward-thinking...

HiVolt

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
why not canada?

Because Apple never relases anything useful here in Canada when they release it in the US...

But just like with Apple Pay, I don't think they would get very far with our Cableco/Telco mafia that controls all the broadcast media.

Besides, I don't quite get this... If people already have this stuff on their subscription cable boxes, who cares if it's on their Apple TV?

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
ATT owns DirectTV and UVerse, yet one now works and the other does not. Strange.

Comcrap will drag its feet like always.

Where is Verizon with Fios?

protox

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
How does Single Sign On work if you use different accounts? I'm on TWC (Spectrum) but since TWC doesn't have deals with Disney, I use my Sister in laws account (Optimum) to stream Disney and other channels that TWC doesn't have deals with and for HBO and Showtime, I use my Father in laws TWC account since they just have local channels and Showtime and HBO. Will I have to always sign in and out of accounts? Because right now, I just sign into whatever streams I need once and that's that and it'll always work.

larrylaffer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2009
Los Angeles
How does Single Sign On work if you use different accounts? I'm on TWC (Spectrum) but since TWC doesn't have deals with Disney, I use my Sister in laws account (Optimum) to stream Disney and other channels that TWC doesn't have deals with and for HBO and Showtime, I use my Father in laws TWC account since they just have local channels and Showtime and HBO. Will I have to always sign in and out of accounts? Because right now, I just sign into whatever streams I need once and that's that and it'll always work.

What will happen is, when you first try to sign into a specific app, it will ask for permission to use your SSO credentials. You'll then say no, and *hopefully* will be presented with the standard form to use whatever account you want.

It'll be mildly annoying, but at least you'll be able to keep using multiple accounts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.