Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max include support for the Thread mesh networking protocol. Thread networking technology is listed as a new feature for the Pro models, but it is not included in the iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus.

iphone-15-pro-gray.jpg

Apple says that the iPhone 15 Pro is the first smartphone with a Thread radio, which can be used to directly control Thread-enabled smart home products. Thread has previously been added to the HomePod mini and Apple TV, but no other Apple devices have Thread connectivity.

In the press release for the iPhone 15 Pro models, Apple explains that Thread opens up "future opportunities for Home app integrations."

Thread is a mesh smart home network system that improves the connectivity and responsiveness of connected products.

Article Link: Apple Adds Thread Networking Technology to iPhone 15 Pro

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

howywood

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2020
Is anyone else getting a message that they're not part of the upgrade program?

I've been doing this for several years and never had an issue, but it's saying I'm not in the program?

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Hopefully that speeds up things if it doesn't have to hop around as much. But the only Thread smart home devices I have currently are some Eve plugs that replaced those hacked WeMo ones that the jerkoffs at Belkin refused to issue a security update for and the Eve Aqua for controlling the sprinkler in the front. I love them both, they are much more responsible than the WeMo.

The side of my house caught on fire the other week while I had an electrician out fixing a box and I was able to yell at Siri to turn on the hose while I ran and ripped the sprinkler stake out of the yard and aim it at the fire. Saved my house because the flames were shooting up. The outlet is in a hard to get to location behind some bushes and every second counted that day. Electrician had never seen anything like it either, the people before us had wired the outdoor outlet they added incorrectly and the whole receptacle was a tinderbox because it had been smoldering in there for so long.

McWetty

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
This whole threads, matter etc stuff is confusing as well.

All I want to be able to do is have Alexa turn my Apple TV on or Off.

I have too much in the Alexa space that won’t work with Apple Home. Zigbee light switches and plugs as an example.
Not sure what your gear setup looks like, but I used HomeBridge to bring my SmartThings devices (and others) into HomeKit when I switched from Alexa to HomePod.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Could operating the home app with an existing thread network become faster then?

Yes. I don't get how MacRumors and the folks over at the Verge don't get what Thread on an iPhone could be for.

When you're in a mesh network, you don't have to go up to the cloud to control individual devices. Apple TV and HomePod play this role by being the Matter controller in the mesh network but if you don't have neither, you'll have to use another Matter controller like a hub. With iPhone having its own Thread radio, it can jump into the mesh and control your home without internet or even WiFi networking. It'll also skip having to go through your Apple TV or HomePod, even if you have them.

SigurTom

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2015
Yes. I don't get how MacRumors and the folks over at the Verge don't get what Thread on an iPhone could be for.

When you're in a mesh network, you don't have to go up to the cloud to control individual devices. Apple TV and HomePod play this role by being the Matter controller in the mesh network but if you don't have neither, you'll have to use another Matter controller like a hub. With iPhone having its own Thread radio, it can jump into the mesh and control your home without internet or even WiFi networking. It'll also skip having to go through your Apple TV or HomePod, even if you have them.
+1, this actually seems like a huge deal. Controlling battery powered thread devices during a power or internet outage has a lot of applications.

4odomi

Cancelled
Jan 19, 2018

The iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max include support for the Thread mesh networking protocol. Thread networking technology is listed as a new feature for the Pro models, but it is not included in the iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus.

iphone-15-pro-gray.jpg

Apple says that the iPhone 15 Pro is the first smartphone with a Thread radio, which can be used to directly control Thread-enabled smart home products. Thread has previously been added to the HomePod mini and Apple TV, but no other Apple devices have Thread connectivity.

In the press release for the iPhone 15 Pro models, Apple explains that Thread opens up "future opportunities for Home app integrations."

Thread is a mesh smart home network system that improves the connectivity and responsiveness of connected products.

Article Link: Apple Adds Thread Networking Technology to iPhone 15 Pro
The whole even was uninspiring, boring, fake and cringeworthy at times.....not upgrading FULL STOP !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.