Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
This whole threads, matter etc stuff is confusing as well.

All I want to be able to do is have Alexa turn my Apple TV on or Off.

I have too much in the Alexa space that won’t work with Apple Home. Zigbee light switches and plugs as an example.

Blame Amazon for this. Apple is deeply integrated into Matter and in adopting all of its latest protocols and capabilities and was the first to do so. Amazon is blaming their delays on having too many Alexa users and want to roll out carefully. Do they not having testing protocols?

Apple TV is fully compliant with Matter and exposes power status to Matter. Whether your Alexa devices are, is another story.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Can anyone explain the difference between Thread and Matter?

1. Matter is the standard by which all of these devices communicate, like a language and set of agreements on how to communicate.

2. Threads is a radio protocol like WiFi and Bluetooth.

Instead of lightbulbs and locks and switches connecting to a Wifi router and then computers and phones having to communicate with them through the router, which often causes problems with bad configurations or network traffic, Matter devices use Threads to communicate directly from the phone to the lightbulb/lock/switch without going through a router or the internet.

Threads devices can create a mesh network of their own. A lightbulb connects to a lock which connects to a switch and they’re all aware of one another.

If the connection is poor between two devices, they can take a different route, say a light switch hopping to a thermostat which is close to an Apple TV which then connects to the light bulb on the other side of the house.

They can all communicate in the Matter standard using Threads radios in each but there are other ways devices can communicate in Matter, through Bluetooth, Wifi or another protocol called Zigbee. Threads is the Matter standard’s preferred radio because it’s more power efficient, self configures and self heals if one device in between goes offline.

Last edited:

McScooby

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2005
The Paps of Glenn Close, Scotland.
Blame Amazon for this. Apple is deeply integrated into Matter and in adopting all of its latest protocols and capabilities and was the first to do so. Amazon is blaming their delays on having too many Alexa users and want to roll out carefully. Do they not having testing protocols?

Apple TV is fully compliant with Matter and exposes power status to Matter. Whether your Alexa devices are, is another story.
It’ll take Amazon as long to sort matter as they have bringing the ring cameras to HomeKit despite their earliest promises. Just using ring as an example, this will probably pull a massive revenue stream for the ring recordings by opening up the device. Cynically I’d say they’re taking their time to carefully intro the functionality (i.e. you can view the feed but not record in hksv) & auto gimp it straight away.

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
I was so excited about thread early on thinking it would make my smart home rock solid… bought tons of Nanoleaf bulbs. A coupe years in and all my Wi-Fi stuff is working great but all that threat stuff is what falls off the HomeKit network it gets weird and slow for no good reason. Too bad Lutron’s clear connect tech can’t become the new standard cus that is truly flawless wireless control

klrobinson999

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2008
“Thread has previously been added to the HomePod mini, but no other Apple devices have Thread connectivity.”

I believe the 128 GB 4K AppleTV and the new full size HomePod both include Thread connectivity.
Homepod 2 definitely has Thread

klrobinson999

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2008
Not sure what your gear setup looks like, but I used HomeBridge to bring my SmartThings devices (and others) into HomeKit when I switched from Alexa to HomePod.
How consistent is Homebridge? Is it reliable? Will Ring devices work?

McWetty

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
How consistent is Homebridge? Is it reliable? Will Ring devices work?
Not sure about Ring, but my HB setup is more reliable than my HK native devices (like Eve). I love it. I have a mix of SmartThings, MyQ, Sonos, and a few others. Works flawlessly and it’s hosted on my NAS so nothing leaves my LAN.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.