Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Adds Uploading Capabilities to iCloud Photos on iCloud.com Beta Site

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has recently updated its iCloud.com beta site for developers, adding the ability to upload images to iCloud Photo Library for the first time. The standard iCloud.com site currently allows users to view all of their iCloud Photo Library images, as well as download and delete them, but there are no tools to allow for the uploading of photos.

On the iCloud beta site, it's now possible to upload JPGs, but the site does not currently accept other image and video formats like .PNG, .MOV, .MP4, and more. When a file is uploaded to the site, it syncs instantly to all of a user's iOS devices, much like a photo taken on an iPhone or iPad or added to iCloud Photo Library via the iOS Photos app.

The presence of an uploading tool on the beta site means that the feature will likely make its way to the main iCloud site in the near future, giving users a way to add to their photo libraries from their Macs and PCs.

Toolbar on beta.icloud.com site at top, non-beta iCloud.com toolbar on bottom​
Currently in beta and introduced with iOS 8.1, iCloud Photo Library is designed to store all of the photos and videos that a user takes in iCloud, making them available on all iOS devices and Macs. iCloud Photo Library images can be viewed in the Photos app on iOS or through iCloud.com on the Mac, and the upcoming Photos app that Apple is creating for Macs will also work with iCloud Photo Library.

While users now have the ability to upload all of their photos to iCloud Photo Library via the iCloud.com beta site, doing so uses iCloud storage space. Apple offers 5GB of storage space for free, with additional plans ranging from $0.99 for 20GB of storage space to $19.99 for 1TB of storage space.

After being tested on the iCloud.com beta site, the iCloud Photo Library upload feature will make its way to the official iCloud site, but it is unknown how long testing will last.

(Thanks, Konrad!)

Article Link: Apple Adds Uploading Capabilities to iCloud Photos on iCloud.com Beta Site

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Loving the way iCloud Photo Library works. It's like IMAP for photos. The OS X app is sorely needed though. I'm not uploading all my photos that way.

Comment

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
Cant wait for the OS X app

I'm assuming beta.icloud.com is only for registered developers? I don't even see the photo library when i log into that site.

Comment

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City

I'm assuming beta.icloud.com is only for registered developers? I don't even see the photo library when i log into that site.

Try beta.icloud.com

EDIT: I did NOT read your comment obviously, apologies.

Last edited:
Comment

chhhrrriiisss

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2009
Connecticut

Are you using iCloud Photo Library on an iOS device? I'm asking because I'm curious to know before I turn it on and try.

Comment

vixster1901

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2009
GREAT!!! Still moving forward… I hope a decent DAM is in the making...

Comment

Cinch

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2005
iCloud Photos

iCloud for Photos is the best thing Apple did this year! And I include the iPhone 6, Watch etc on this list.

I can finally delete erroneous videos and duplicate photos!!! Thank you jesus.

Now lets do the same for Music and playlist syncing.

Yes, I'm modest in my request, but how many of us here are relieve now that we are able to organize our videos/photos from any machine?

I can't wait for the Photos app. One library to rule them all!

Comment

ttss6

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2014
California
I wish Apple would add a Select All button for the Moments and Collections to make it a hell of a lot easier to delete them and free up some space

Comment

MaSx

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2010
LOL. I swear day by day Apple showing how late and slow they've gotten with the industry. Industry moving too fast for them (Yes, they don't follow others but their own terms) but it's 2014 for pete's sake and we still have 5GB iCloud storage space. Pathetic.

Comment

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
with apple selling icloud drive service they obviously wants us to use this service and upload all photos, no thanks apple. I will still rely on my hard drive and time machine to store the photos. photo stream still works great for "cloud sync" photos.

Comment

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
A welcome feature, but really only applicable in a lightweight scenario. It isn't like I'm going to upload years worth of photos via this method.

When the new Photos app for OS X comes, I suspect there will be a step on first run where you can choose to upload your library to the cloud (and select the appropriate level of iCloud storage to pay for). This will save me untold gigs on my local machine and I can just pull down the ones I want when I need them (not very often).

The pricing structure is still a sticking point. Others are offering much better deals. They'll need to sort that out or look foolish on comparison charts.

Comment

nutmac

macrumors 601
Mar 30, 2004
While users now have the ability to upload all of their photos to iCloud Photo Library via the iCloud.com beta site, doing so uses iCloud storage space. Apple offers 5GB of storage space for free, with additional plans ranging from $0.99 for 20GB of storage space to $19.99 for 1TB of storage space.
A bit off topic but $240/year for 1TB sounds insanely expensive compared to competitors.

Comment

ElZeus

macrumors regular
May 26, 2008
They need to improve the amount of free space given for photo storage from 5GB to at least 15-20GB they are getting severely outclassed by google and even microsoft.

Comment

mbern1008

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2013
Rather disappointed.

I'm rather disappointed with the ordering of the pictures. I tried uploading two different pictures using the beta site and it didn't read the tags from the photos and it made them the newest in the list. Hopefully it is just a bug for now as I would want them in date takes sort. When they downloaded to the phone they stayed as the newest pics still.

I also have amazon prime along with their new unlimited uploads and was playing with their app. It does read the tags properly when uploading pictures but I need to wait for their mac app as well

Comment

rtfulk

macrumors member
May 16, 2007
If we could make and upload folders that would be nice. I have all my photos sorted by Folders. I don't think I would want over 100K photos just scattered everywhere.

Comment

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
Are you using iCloud Photo Library on an iOS device? I'm asking because I'm curious to know before I turn it on and try.

I have it disabled at the moment. Nothing on beta.icloud.com for me

However i'm sure i saw the photos app on icloud.com in the past

Maybe i turned it on temporarily which made it appear

Comment

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
LOL. I swear day by day Apple showing how late and slow they've gotten with the industry. Industry moving too fast for them (Yes, they don't follow others but their own terms) but it's 2014 for pete's sake and we still have 5GB iCloud storage space. Pathetic.

Seems like millions are happy enough to keep buying their devices. Not only that but they also save a ton of money by only offering 5GB. Want more? You can pay for it.

Comment

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003

I think you just have to enable iCloud Photos on your iOS device.

Comment

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
I don't want pics that I take uploaded to the cloud and put onto all my devices. First off, when I shoot with an iphone, it's invariably pics I could give a hoot about, preferring to use a real camera for photos that matter.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.