Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today tweaked its iPod touch storage and pricing configurations after discontinuing the iPod nano and iPod shuffle.

ipod_touch_6_lineup-800x312.jpg

Apple's new iPod touch lineup is priced as following in the United States:

o 32GB: $199
o 128GB: $299
o 16GB and 64GB discontinued

Apple's previous iPod touch lineup was priced as following:

o 16GB: $199
o 32GB: $249
o 64GB: $299
o 128GB: $399

The new configurations are currently in stock on Apple's online store in the same colors as previously: Silver, Gold, Space Gray, Pink, Blue, and Red.

Apple last updated the iPod touch in July 2015 with an Apple A8 chip and 8-megapixel rear-facing iSight camera.

Article Link: Apple Adjusts iPod Touch Prices and Storage: 32GB For $199, 128GB For $299

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Europe
Given this iPod really has more in common with the iPhone and iPad than it does with any other iPod that has ever existed, I think they should rename it to:

iPad Nano

It runs iOS but doesn't have cellular, and does way more than just music, just like all base-model iPads.

Comment

profets

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
I found it odd when they updated the iPads in March, and the iPad mini was left with a single storage tier of 128GB at $399, same as the iPod touch.

Considering the other iPods are gone, it would be cool if the touch was renamed to just 'iPod' or pulled into the iPad lineup with a name like 'iPad nano' (with a more significant update of sorts). Likely not relevant enough for either to happen though.

Reactions: Avieshek and dan110
Comment

JGIGS

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
I don't understand why they would cancel the nano and shuffle but keep the touch? I see more use out of super small music player than an ipod touch when everyone owns a smartphone that can do everything a touch can and has always has internet connectivity. I guess maybe for kids? Or maybe just lowering the price to sell remaining stock off before discontinuing.

Comment

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
Given this iPod really has more in common with the iPhone and iPad than it does with any other iPod that has ever existed, I think they should rename it to:

iPad Nano

It runs iOS but doesn't have cellular, and does way more than just music, just like all base-model iPads.

didn't even realized they don't have nano's anymore.

Comment

Shanpdx

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
hopefully they will do price adjustments (and storage) on the MacBook/Air/Macbook Pro.

Macbooks are not selling well it has be below $999 mark. Best buy has 8Gb/512GB for $1099 for 2016 model. still not sold out.

wish Macbook's storage reflects iPad storage strategy. 128GB SSD is not enough.

Comment

diegov12

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2015
I don't understand why they would cancel the nano and shuffle but keep the touch? I see more use out of super small music player than an ipod touch when everyone owns a smartphone that can do everything a touch can and has always has internet connectivity. I guess maybe for kids? Or maybe just lowering the price to sell remaining stock off before discontinuing.
An iPod touch can be used for developing and testing iOS apps.

also, kids.

Comment

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
how are the sales on these? can't see how people still buy them? i may be in the minority.

They don't sell much. Usually for kids that are young enough where their parents don't want them owning a phone yet. But the price to produce them isn't much, as they're pretty much an iPhone without the cellular radio in it and a couple other omissions. So why not sell them and make some extra sales.

Comment

Centris 650

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2002
Near Charleston, SC
I work with kids and many of them are too young for a phone but have an iPod touch. A few of them actually have apps that allow them to call people. Also, my wife wants one to keep at her office as a dedicated music player instead of her phone.

With the reduced price I might pick one up for my office too so I'm not killing my battery.

Comment

JPack

macrumors 604
Mar 27, 2017

Nano and Shuffle don't have access to the App Store which means minimal contribution to the Apple Services business.

Comment

diegov12

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2015
hopefully they will do price adjustments (and storage) on the MacBook/Air/Macbook Pro.

Macbooks are not selling well it has be below $999 mark. Best buy has 8Gb/512GB for $1099 for 2016 model. still not sold out.

wish Macbook's storage reflects iPad storage strategy. 128GB SSD is not enough.
If they aren't lowering the prices at all, MacBooks are selling well.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.