Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has adjusted the trade-in values of many of its products overnight. Some devices, such as iPads, have seen moderate increases in value, while others, such as Macs, have experienced decreases.

iphone-trade-in-202010_FMT_WHH.jpeg

Apple incentivizes customers to upgrade by offering the option to trade in older devices in exchange for credit towards a new purchase. The latest changes to the trade-in program's values, spotted by iMore, include iPads, Apple Watches, Macs, and even some Android devices.

Apple has increased the maximum trade-in value of many products in its iPad lineup. The iPad Pro has increased by $25 to $525. The iPad Air and entry-level iPad have gained $40, reaching $250 and $240 respectively. Finally, the iPad mini has increased from $175 to $205.

Apple has given a minor boost to the value of the Apple Watch models. The Apple Watch Series 3 and Apple Watch Series 4 have increased by $10 to $95 and $150, while the Apple Watch Series 1 has increased from $30 to $35.

On the other hand, various Macs have seen cuts to their trade-in value. The MacBook Pro is down from $1,760 to $1,530, which is a reduction of $230. The MacBook Air has also lost $100, down to $630, while the MacBook is down to $380 from $450.

With regards to desktops, the iMac Pro has seen a significant cut of $540, down to just $3,040. The iMac is down to $1,180 from $1,390, and the Mac mini is down to $830 from $930. The Mac Pro appears to be the only Mac to have gained value, with a major increase of almost double the previous $1,490 price. Customers can now trade in the Mac Pro for $2,930.

For Android devices, the Samsung Galaxy S20 has fallen in price from $270 to $225, while the Samsung Galaxy S10 and S10+, as well as Google Pixel devices, have seen minor increases.

These prices reflect the maximum value that customers can expect for their device. The actual valuation will be dependent on the condition of the device.

Analysts have recently suggested that Apple's trade-in program could become a key part of an all-in-one hardware and software subscription service in the future, should Apple combine with the iPhone Upgrade Program and Apple One.

See Apple's full list of maximum trade-in prices for more information on trade-in values.

Article Link: Apple Adjusts Trade-In Prices for Apple Watch, iPad, and Mac

Last edited:

StuBeck

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2008
Think there is a mistake in the article. "The Apple Watch Series 3 and Apple Watch Series 4 have increased by $10 to $150 and $95", Series 3 isn't more than a Series 4.

iGüey

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2020
Mexico City
I’m glad that the value of traded-in iPads and Watch have been increased, but in the other hand I don’t welcome the decrease on the Macs, I suppose that a lot of people were trading them for the new ones with M1.

wingnut8

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
I just did a trade in two days ago and now my MacBook Pro is worth $30 more. Not a big deal but I wonder if it can be adjusted. Still haven’t received the box for the trade in

Reactions: iGüey

edwrap

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2012
I just did a trade in two days ago and now my MacBook Pro is worth $30 more. Not a big deal but I wonder if it can be adjusted. Still haven’t received the box for the trade in
Just request another one?

I mailed an old iPad Air 2 for trade-in a week ago, still waiting for payment. I probably could've gotten $10 more for it now, but oh well. When's the last time anyone raised trade-in values over time?

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
It would be nice to get a trade-in program similar to Amazon that includes a 25% discount voucher on the replacement Amazon product.

Trade-in an Apple product.
Get ridiculously low trade-in value.
Get percentage discount on replacement item.

We get trapped in a brand-loyal trade-in cycle. They maintain the environmental narrative (of annually updated products) by getting rid of the amount of e-waste with their name on it. Everyone wins.

Last edited:

iGüey

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2020
Mexico City

if you haven’t received the box yet, maybe you may cancel the current trade in and start over again.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 68040
Jul 20, 2011
Base model 5th Gen iPad (32GB) shows $175. Not sure what it was previously, but $175 seems very good for a nearly 4-year old iPad.

I'm just so nervous about Phobio, though. :eek:

Nütztjanix

Contributor
Jul 31, 2019
Germany
Just traded in my old Watch Series 3 LTE for EUR 110,00. Not too bad for a three year old watch. That was before the adjustments.

wingnut8

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
Just request another one?

I mailed an old iPad Air 2 for trade-in a week ago, still waiting for payment. I probably could've gotten $10 more for it now, but oh well. When's the last time anyone raised trade-in values over time?
I did an instant trade in value towards a new MacBook Pro

motm95

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
Can one trade in an item and use the credit towards a different product? i.e. trade in an iPad and use it towards a Mac?

xander49x

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2015
world
the program is a joke, I just purchased a MacBook Pro 13' and sent in my 2017 13' and they offered me $150.00. A tech said it had 3 white spots on it.I had them send it back to me then I took it to the computer repair shop and it was looked at and they could not find anything wrong with the computer. I will keep it as a back up in case something happens to my new one.

Xack

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2016
Looks like Apple is accelerating the transition now that MS Office and most web browsers are native Apple Silicon apps.

jlocker

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2011
Lake Michigan
If I were Apple I would have increased the trade in value for the Mac computers, this would have Mac users trade in their old Intel machines for a New M1 or M2 machine. This move will make Intel users keep their systems longer than trade in sooner. This is a bone head move by Apple. Guess I will keep my MacBook Pro for an additional year and get more value out of the current system than trade in for less money.

tonywalker23

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2003
SC
Sadly, I noticed this yesterday afternoon. I ordered an M1 Air on 11/10. It arrived on 11.17. I selected to trade in my 2018 MBP for $750 instant credit. Being in graduate school, the Air was 899. That meant I could upgrade for 149 (12 a month for 12 months on the Apple Card). Seemed like an easy choice for me.
I kept waiting for the trade-in kit to come. The status page said it would be shipped shortly. Chatted with Apple twice and both times said it would come. Then this past Friday my card got charged for $750. I immediately called and said why am I being charged for not sending back a computer when I was never sent a trade-in kit. Said Id here back in 1 to 2 days. Never heard anything.
Contacted them again yesterday. Was told the trade-in got canceled in their system. I said on my status page it never said that, it just said pending and will ship soon and email me an update. Then the lady said well you can go to the new trade-in page and re-submit it for a gift card and then call us when you get the gift card and we will refund that to your credit card...
guess what, the MBP is now worth $700 instead of the $750 due to yesterday's readjustment. When I told her I would be out $50 she didn't know what to tell me. I thanked her for looking at all the options but said that nothing had been resolved and to please send me up the ladder. Said nobody could help me right now but a supervisor would call me back. Haven't heard anything since.
So frustrating.

• Sad

BeatCrazy

macrumors 68040
Jul 20, 2011
the program is a joke, I just purchased a MacBook Pro 13' and sent in my 2017 13' and they offered me $150.00. A tech said it had 3 white spots on it.I had them send it back to me then I took it to the computer repair shop and it was looked at and they could not find anything wrong with the computer. I will keep it as a back up in case something happens to my new one.

Phobio strikes again :(

Reactions: BluefinTuna
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.