Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MacDailyNews reports that Apple is advertising Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) in Time Magazine.

The two page print ad shows two Apple Cinema Displays demonstrating Spotlight and Dashboard technologies.

Find Stuff: Mac OS X Tiger. The world's most advanced operating system now puts even more power at your fingertips. With new features like Spotlight, Mac OS X's amazing search technology that lets you instantly find anything on your Mac - documents, e-mails, contacts, bookmarks, images, even things inside PDF files.

Find Out Stuff: And Dashboard, a whole new world of timesaving widgets. Instead of having to visit multiple websites for things like weather forecasts, stock queries, business listings or airline flights, Dashboard brings it all to you instantly, then disappears instantly so you can go back to what you were doing. Just two of Tiger's more than 200 new features that will change how you use your computer.

There have been rumors that Apple would be organizing a Mac ad campaign in the near future, but rumors had hinted at switcher-themed ads rather than Mac OS X specific features. Its unclear if Mac OS X Tiger television ads will follow.

Noiseboy

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2002
Lurking nearby.
I suppose it will be good to see Apple prominently displayed but I still don't want them to get big enough for virus writers to take notice.

Fabio_gsilva

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2005
São Paulo - Brasil
Good news!

Now we are talking! These are good news, nor that bull**** about join forces with Intel!!
It's a shame that we won't see it here, in Brazil... That's the price we have pay! ;)
Huges!

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia
Noiseboy said:
I suppose it will be good to see Apple prominently displayed but I still don't want them to get big enough for virus writers to take notice.

There's the rub. I think most of us in here that want to see the platform grow want to see it grow because we love Apple and want to see the company do well and see more people become "enlightened."

But the virus writers will come along with them.

I saw grow! No one ever changed the world trying not to get big enough to be noticed.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
nice but...

It's nice to see them advertise for something other than iPods, but Apple needs to focus more on getting their computers in the limelight rather than displays.... :)

Jun 24, 2004
putting imac ads in free local newspapers such has the "metro" in london would be a much better idea. dell have been doing it for years and so many of my friends have ordered computer they see in those news papers ads.

TVs ad can be good, but news paper ads are permanent, and people need time to think over decision such as buying a computer. a 30 sec clip saying windows sucks wont convince anyone to buy a mac.

bentley

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2005
bobx2001 said:
putting imac ads in free local newspapers such has the "metro" in london would be a much better idea. dell have been doing it for years and so many of my friends have ordered computer they see in those news papers ads.

the Metro is a nationwide paper but has several regional editions.
I too think that would be a good way to go.

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
johnbro23 said:
Can anyone post a scan of the ad?
Shockingly, it's in the link listed in the article...!

050524_time_tiger_ad.jpg

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
A 30 second TV ad can't effectively show detailed concepts--it can only get people interested in seeking more (from the Web for instance).

But print can go into more depth. Good to see Apple doing so.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Noiseboy said:

Thew main thing is to remain cautious and vigilant. Having Apple grow should allow for greater funds to R & D. Then we can get those items were dreaming of sooner. Would also allow Apple to strengthen security.

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
Something to look forward too when I get my new issue here in a few days. Godo move Apple. Make Tiger look classy...

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
I'm glad they are doing this instead of more switch ads. show off tiger!

they should do tv ads like this too:

show a mac screen with someone working in iphoto or imovie, wtih itunes playing in the backgroud. then hear a voice off screen say something like "honey, can you check the weather for me?" (or something like that). And you see the users' finger press a hotkey to bring up the dashboard - "sunny & high in the 70's tomorrow" - "ok, thanks" and then back to using their ilife programs without skipping a beat.

end the commercial with a jeff goldbloom voiceover saying "dashboard - one of over 200 innovative new features available now on OS X tiger, thew most advanced operating system in the world" (or something like that).

and have multiple commercials like that, with dashboard, expose, spotlight, imovie, iphoto, etc...

skyfex

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2004
Why does everybody think Mac will be flooded with viruses once it gets popular? Yes, there will be viruses, but very few and most likely not too dangerous. Firstly, a virus that attacks through Mail, Safari or other user applications will never be able to infect more than one user. Creating a new user on and removing the old will actually remove the virus (unless you were stupid enough to give it your password). Secondly, apps like Mail and Safari were written using Cocoa, which by design makes it harder to get buffer overflow bugs, which is what many viruses utilize.

And if you run a firewall (built in), and don't open applications you get sent through mail, you should be perfectly safe even from these unlikely viruses you speak of. Though that is also true for Windows too (additionally you have to ditch Outlook and IE). I never use AV software on Windows computers i use myself and have never gotten a virus.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
At last, adverts for its OS.

Apple should give equal advertising to its Computers, OSX and Switchers ( reasons why people switched and the benefits ).

Now.. TV Ads, worldwide - not just the states. Mass Media.

Great start though.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Porchland said:
But the virus writers will come along with them.

We are already a target.

OS X has been around for years. Crackers (of a certain type) have sought challenges and prestige for years. Macs have been worth extra points in cracking contests for years. Some Linux fans do hate Apple, not just Microsoft. Windows users OFTEN hate Apple. And some high-profile targets like universities, media companies, and the US Army use Mac OS X.

And there are a LOT of unethical programmers in the world... some with a desire to do more than be a "script kiddie."

So I am CERTAIN that at least SOME people have been trying to make OS X viruses for quite some time. They've never managed it yet, but they WILL.

Then we'll have one virus instead of zero... I'll still feel safer :)

Macs are more secure by being a smaller target AND BY DESIGN also. Neither factor is going away unless you think ads will suddenly give Apple a user base equal to Windows. Then we'll only have design on our side :)

Apple!Freak

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
East Coast
nagromme said:
A 30 second TV ad can't effectively show detailed concepts--it can only get people interested in seeking more (from the Web for instance).

But print can go into more depth. Good to see Apple doing so.

Actually, a 45-second commercial could. I did some testing on this and found a large portion of data if properly time-coordinated, could provide the public with a large mass of data on the new Mac OS, Tiger.

In order to campaign both Tiger and Mac's, there would need to be two seperate ads.

Mac OS - Tiger (Explosion of Tiger's new features)
iMac G5 17" & 20" - throw in something about the Mac mini to spark interest to get on Apple's site (as in keep them somewhat hanging as to the innovation in the mini)
iPod Shuffle (As they have now, just keep on going)

I may team up with a friend of mine who works in Final Cut Pro daily, and see if between the two of us we could put together an immensly impacting and hard-hitting campaign of commericals to present to Mr. Jobs.

milzay

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2003
About ****ing time.
and...
m-dogg said:
I'm glad they are doing this instead of more switch ads. show off tiger!

they should do tv ads like this too:

show a mac screen with someone working in iphoto or imovie, wtih itunes playing in the backgroud. then hear a voice off screen say something like "honey, can you check the weather for me?" (or something like that). And you see the users' finger press a hotkey to bring up the dashboard - "sunny & high in the 70's tomorrow" - "ok, thanks" and then back to using their ilife programs without skipping a beat.

end the commercial with a jeff goldbloom voiceover saying "dashboard - one of over 200 innovative new features available now on OS X tiger, thew most advanced operating system in the world" (or something like that).

and have multiple commercials like that, with dashboard, expose, spotlight, imovie, iphoto, etc...

I cant express how bad that idea is, so corny and cheap, and that is not Apple at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.