Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Again Bucks Trend With Sales Growth in Shrinking PC Market

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Just as it did last quarter, Apple appears to have once again demonstrated year-over-year Mac sales growth for the first quarter of 2011 while the rest of the industry has been mired in a slump reportedly due in no small part to a shift in consumer interest to new media tablets dominated by Apple's iPad. The data comes from research firms Gartner and IDC.

According to Gartner's report, Apple once again checked in in fifth place in the U.S. market, grabbing a 9.3% share that marks a significant rise from a 7.3% share in the prior-year quarter. The number is down slightly, however, from a 9.7% share in the previous quarter and marks the second consecutive decline in Mac sales share, although Apple's market share does tend toward cyclical fluctuations that have led the company's share to still be significantly higher than it was in the first quarter of 2010.
"Weak demand for consumer PCs was the biggest inhibitor of growth," said Mikako Kitagawa, principal analyst at Gartner. "Low prices for consumer PCs, which had long stimulated growth, no longer attracted buyers. Instead, consumers turned their attention to media tablets and other consumer electronics. With the launch of the iPad 2 in February, more consumers either switched to buying an alternative device, or simply held back from buying PCs. We're investigating whether this trend is likely to have a long-term effect on the PC market."
Gartner's report pegged Apple's year-over-year unit growth in the United States at 18.9%, outpacing fourth-place Toshiba's 10.9% growth as all other top manufacturers saw declines that led to an overall decline of 6.1% in the U.S. PC market.

IDC's report tells a somewhat similar story, although that firm pegs Apple's year-over-year unit growth in the U.S. at only 9.6%, behind that of Toshiba at 10.4%. But IDC also sees a much steeper drop-off for Acer than Gartner sees, with IDC showing a 42% drop in unit sales that bumps Acer down from third place to fifth place and allows Apple to rise to fourth place with 8.5% of the market.

As usual, neither Gartner nor IDC covered Apple's worldwide performance for the quarter, as the company does not rank in the top five by global shipments. Both reports did, however, record year-over-year declines in the worldwide market similar to those seen for the United States, with Gartner seeing a 1.1% decline in sales while IDC tracked a 3.2% drop.

Article Link: Apple Again Bucks Trend With Sales Growth in Shrinking PC Market

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
"switchers" ... plain and simple :D

Buyer satisfaction with other Apple products is clearly filtering down into Mac sales. This trend will only continue to strengthen.

Comment

Spoony

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2011
I bet the non US growth is more like 30/35%. Amazing how they are growing like they are in the US.

I've actually never owned a mac. Ipads and iphones but i'm buying my first mac this year. So I'll add to that US sales growth.

Comment

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
So there is more room for growth with Mac sales. Of course this is true because the market % is so low that it's easier to go up. This is like how Android skyrocketed, just more room to grow when nobody has your products.

Comment

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
I'm not trying to pee in Apple's Cheerios at all...but i do wonder at what point will they reach a plateau in sales growth. That said, I don't think they're close to it yet...China is becoming a great new market for them...

I think Mac sales are directly tied to the Halo affect of the iOS devices. The more they sell there, the more people open up to Mac as an alternative. With Lion having more iOS like interfaces, it will make it even more natural for new customers.

Comment

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
So there is more room for growth with Mac sales. Of course this is true because the market % is so low that it's easier to go up. This is like how Android skyrocketed, just more room to grow when nobody has your products.

The only flaw with that is the rest of the market is shrinking.

So if the market is down as a whole, and one manufacture is up, that one manufacturer is definitely doing something right.

Comment

andys53

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2009
U.K.
I have to confess, although I'm not looking for a tablet, my laptop has completely taken over from my desktop.

Comment

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
My mom got her iphone last year. She loves it so much she's been totally into apple stuff (bought herself an ipod touch when it came out - don't ask me when she already has an iphone - and even bought me the new nano).

She says she's probably going to buy a Mac next time (and she used to snub the mac when I was a kid).

Comment

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else

So if the market is down as a whole, and one manufacture is up, that one manufacturer is definitely doing something right.
On top of that is the fact that the world population is growing.

These other guys are fumbling the ball.

Last edited:
Comment

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
More great news. I wonder where the limit on this growth will be?

As great as Macs are, the price will still be a determining factor at the end of the day. I don't see it getting as popular as PCs are. Maybe 20%?

Comment

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
I think Mac sales are directly tied to the Halo affect of the iOS devices. The more they sell there, the more people open up to Mac as an alternative. With Lion having more iOS like interfaces, it will make it even more natural for new customers.

IMO it's a combination of many things.

Yes, the idevices, but then comes word of mouth. Nothing is more powerful than when you have a friend or colleague who shows you how easily everything works and integrates.

The learning curve of a Mac is also not steep.

Overall I think the market for non professional users will shift away from desktop machines as the "books" become more and more powerful.

Plus their new advertising slogan

All you need is a Mac and you'll never go back!

Comment

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
...the rest of the industry has been mired in a slump reportedly due in no small part to a shift in consumer interest to new media tablets dominated by Apple's iPad.

Over a year ago there were a lot of crazy kooks laughing at me for saying the desktop and laptops were "yesterday's" designs. That people wanted true portability...

There's the proof.

Once the iPad becomes beefy enough to be like a laptop (and it's getting close already), it will take over most of the computer sales. It's perfect in most ways for most people--just needs higher res, more memory, more connectivity, and stronger procession.

Comment

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Wow, not only is Apple kicking ass in YOY growth, they're taking away market share with the iPad too.

Comment

BigTuna820

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2010
Washington, D.C.
Acer????

I understand HP and Dell having such a huge market share because of large businesses and old people, but ACER?!...

I'm fairly certain they just dumped 1.8 million units off their trucks this quarter and said somebody bought them...

Comment

Carniphage

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Sheffield, England
This is unit sales only.
HP makes about $15 profit per machine. Apple makes about ten times that.

I am pretty sure these numbers mean that Apple is now the most profitable PC manufacturer. That's without the iPad and iPhone numbers.

C.

Comment

Ironworker808

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2009

Anecdotal evidence to support your theory...? Me.

Started with an iPod Touch...which led to an iPhone 3GS (Now an iPhone 4)...which led to an iPad...which led to a base model 13" Macbook Pro.

Oh, rinse and repeat for the Mrs. except replace her laptop with an i7 15" Macbook Pro.

And the kid went from an iPod Touch to an iPhone.

All that to say...the Halo affect is in full force at the Ironworker compound! :D We are pretty much an Apple household now.

The iOS like interfaces coming up in Lion helped push us to the MBP's, though I had decided more than a year ago that my next computer was going to be a Mac. And having almost two years of 'experience' with Apple's touch interfaces has made the MBP's trackpad a breeze to get used to. I don't even use a mouse anymore!

Comment

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004

Well, not really. Macs are generally more expensive than PCs. The people who likely buy Macs aren't doing as poorly as others, so they buy Macs. Those with little discretionary income who would normally buy PCs don't have money to buy a computer right now, so they're not buying a PC.

And again, the market is shrinking because PC sales were at great highs before. It's almost impossible to think their numbers can go up by a wide margin.

Last edited:
Comment

kntgsp

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
Lenovo's global shipments went up 16.3% according to the IDC report, which is pretty damn impressive.

That X220 is looking mighty appealing.

Comment

Salacion

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
I bet the non US growth is more like 30/35%. Amazing how they are growing like they are in the US.

I've actually never owned a mac. Ipads and iphones but i'm buying my first mac this year. So I'll add to that US sales growth.

Welcome, you're gonna love it!

Comment

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
I hope what this shows the PC makers is that it's not just a race to the bottom as far as price is concerned, but that people are willing to pay more for a device if it's built well and does a good job.

Stop worrying about shaving that extra dollar off the price and providing the rock-bottom rickety low-cost PC that will fall apart in a few months; instead, go ahead and invest in computers with longer battery life, better build quality, and other useful features -- consumers are willing to pay for it.

Comment

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8G4)

This was expected.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.