Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As Apple prepares to unveil the iPhone 6 and its much-rumored iWatch at its September 9 event, TechCrunch reports that the Cupertino company has once again booked a high amount of shipping space out of China. The company's shipping volume is reportedly so high that it's begun displacing competitors' attempts at shipping during the fall.

fedexexpressplane.jpg
Apple shipments via major concerns like FedEx and UPS are said to be 'unprecedented' for the holiday quarter, pointing to a massive number of iPhones and whatever other devices Apple announces for the fall season. The company is apparently flooding its channels with devices, causing shipments for other 'top tier' device makers to be delayed to make way for Apple products.
Competing manufacturers have apparently been told by shipping companies that they cannot fulfill their deadlines because they were being booked by a "very important customer", which is likely to be Apple.

Last year, a report indicated that Apple begins moving new iPhones from Foxconn and Pegatron factories to distribution centers around the world through shipping companies with extra security detail. Once they're in distribution centers, Apple begins managing the flow of the devices to the people who want them based on device color and size.

Such impact on the shipping industry is not unusual for Apple, as MacRumors reported in 2012 that Apple had been buying up shipping space in high volume in advance of the launch of the iPad 3, also moving them to distribution centers around the world before its official launch while leaving competitors to scramble for cargo space.

Ahead of Apple's September 9 event, it's highly likely iPhone 6 models are stealthily being moved across the world, ready for deployment as soon as orders begin. MacRumors has heard that shipments are indeed beginning now for staging in the United States.

(Photo courtesy of Alan Radecki)

Article Link: Apple Again Dominating Shipping Capacity Out of China Ahead of iPhone 6 Launch

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Hopefully people that want one won't have to stand in line for a long time on day 1.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
this will be the first time that i will be pre-ordered an iPhone and i'm definitely looking forward to the near all-nighter staying up until 3am'ish for the website to start accepting orders.

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
This might be really good, remember how the 3rd generation was in abundance at launch, to the point where you could walk in that afternoon and get one? Maybe there won't be such a crazy shortage of iPhones after all!

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
this will be the first time that i will be pre-ordered an iPhone and i'm definitely looking forward to the near all-nighter staying up until 3am'ish for the website to start accepting orders.

Who said there will be pre-orders this year? There wasn't with the 5S last year unfortunately :(

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
Hmmm.. I usually track my phone all the way from China. IF this article is suggesting the congestion is right now perhaps we're in for an early launch after the keynote? Wishful thinking I guess. :cool:

:apple:

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area

If history repeats you will get a good nights sleep. But u can catch up on sleep to get ready for a true all nighter in a lawn chair outside of ur favorite apple store. That's what I'll be doing no matter what happens.

sza

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010
My guess: the 4.7 inch iPhone will be priced starting at $199, the 5.5 inch iPhone starting at $329. :)

iBanker

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2014
46th floor
Hmmm.. I usually track my phone all the way from China. IF this article is suggesting the congestion is right now perhaps we're in for an early launch after the keynote? Wishful thinking I guess. :cool:

:apple:

These are to stock stores. Your orders come from China.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
This might be really good, remember how the 3rd generation was in abundance at launch, to the point where you could walk in that afternoon and get one? Maybe there won't be such a crazy shortage of iPhones after all!

i remember how hard it was to get an iPhone 4 a month after launch at a store - they basically were taking names and would put you on the list. the average lead time seemed to be ~ 2 weeks.

then when we thought it would get better with the iPhone 4S...it was even worse. i remember i ordered an iPhone 4S 32GB and had to wait 1 1/2 months

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
It amazes me how one company can literally bring multiple very large international third-party companies to its knees with demand (ie UPS/FedEx).

I bet FedEx flew out US and other country-based aircraft to China to help distribute supplies. I wouldn't doubt if 1 FedEx plane takes off every 15 minutes just for Apple.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
If history repeats you will get a good nights sleep. But u can catch up on sleep to get ready for a true all nighter in a lawn chair outside of ur favorite apple store. That's what I'll be doing no matter what happens.

yeah no thanks lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.