Apple agrees to replace 7 plus, pls advise..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tma888, Dec 6, 2016.

1. tma888 macrumors member

tma888

Hello friends,

Need your advise please.
    Long story short, my JB 7 plus has the hiss problem and Apple agreed to replace with a white box one. They said they will give me 5 days to decide if I want the replacement. My concern is the serial number on the original box and the replacement unit will be different. Also, my JB is week 40 and the replacement is week 38 (they gave me a stub showing the serial number). The guy at the genius bar guaranteed that its not a refurb but a new phone in a white box.

-should I go ahead with the replacement?
    -will the different serials affect resale in the future?
    -will the week 38 unit have no hiss compared to my week 40?

Thanks!

2. deany macrumors 68030

deany

Hi

White box = refurb from my experience of buying a refurb

Also there is a very strong arguement that says refurbs are BETTER than 'new' as they have past more stringent quality control.

If it was within 14 days I would expect 'factory fresh' new after that a refurb is fine IMHO

3. Europa13 macrumors 6502

1. If the hiss bothers you. I haven't even bothered to check if mine does this.
    2. It will not affect resale value at all.
    3. Impossible to say.

It's a new phone, though, not a refurb. It would be a huge waste of money to package every replacement phone in the full packaging with accessories. That said, refurbs are just as good as brand new ones.

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If there is something wrong with your phone, why wouldn't you replace it?

Probably? To some it may not matter and to others it will. The white box replacement may or may not be a refurb. I don't know if that bothers you, but it doesn't bother me.

None of the 6 iPhone 7 or 7+ that my family and I own hiss. I doubt they all do it, but even if they did, I don't hear it.

5. tma888 thread starter macrumors member

tma888

Thanks Deany, unfortunately my JB 7plus is about a month old already..
    --- Post Merged, Dec 6, 2016 ---
    Thanks Europa, yes it makes sense that at this time after the release of the Iphone 7 plus that there will be refurb units.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 6, 2016 ---

Thnaks T5BRICK, appreciate your thoughts.

6. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Agreed. White Box replacements are a safe bet and backed with the same return policy as new hardware.

7. tma888 thread starter macrumors member

tma888

I am seriously considering doing the replacement. Only thing holding me back is that the replacement is week 38, which is a 50/50 chance that its better or worse than what I have right now.

I will go back tomorrow and see if they can give choices on different white boxes to see if I can get a newer week production.

8. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Interesting point. Perhaps they can make a suggestion to what week by checking the serial number. Week 41 is rumored to be a winner based off my readings. Which of
    Course is anecdotal.

9. deany macrumors 68030

deany

I really wouldn't stress over this, there is the dreaded 'return loop' where you can get a worse replacement maybe you are worried about getting in that loop, but these thing are not cheap.
    Just keep taking it back until you are 100% happy and ignore any bad vibes from well paid apple genius.
    Hope the one you get in perfect, sure it will be.
    Don't forget screen protector and backing case to protect resale value.
    Good luck.

10. tma888 thread starter macrumors member

tma888

Thanks again deany and Relentless.
    I will go back tomorrow and request for a different white box (i hope they have a couple for the JB 7 plus 256Gb).

I am really hoping for a newer week production since Im thinking its just logical that the newer week will have addressed the initial hardware problems of the earlier ones.

If I dont get lucky tomorrow, then I might just keep on trying until I get an Apple and not a Lemon :)

11. rijc99 macrumors 6502a

rijc99

Make sure to get the work order and replacement order for the white box phone I f you're worried about resale. Keep the paper showing the swap inside your box to give to the new owner at time of sale to prove legit ownership.

12. tma888 thread starter macrumors member

tma888

Oh yeah, the genius guy also mentioned about some paperwork earlier.
    I think that's what he meant. Thank you for the heads up.

13. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

You will likely receive a more updated week. Let us know how it goes.

14. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I hate to break it but if someone returns a hissing phone or a yellow screen they don't get refurbed. Only what Apple considers to be a genuine fault would be repaired.

15. tma888 thread starter macrumors member

tma888

The genius guy did 2 diagnostic tests. One overall and one specific to the mics for the video recording.
    Both tests are "Green" on his ipad. However, I came prepared and showed him 3 videos (all 30 secs long)
    I made in a quiet room where there is only a wall clock that can be heard. He watched it and he immediately said,
    Yes, there is a hissing problem. I think he is aware of the problem because he was so fast to tell me
    "I will issue a replacement for you." and I didnt need to explain much to him.

16. Jtradar macrumors member

Jtradar

White box is not refurb they are brand new factory fresh . Apple told me they sell old phones off to third party they don't bother with them. I have run serial numbers and phones I got were no more than two weeks old .

17. deany macrumors 68030

deany

Hi
    Surprised we got an iPhone 6 for work from amazon.co.uk a few months ago and it was refurb "white box" link-
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B016DQ8EFM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

18. Applejuiced, Dec 7, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2016

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Who cares what week it is or if it doesn't match the original serial number box.
    Just get a phone that works and makes you happy and stop worrying about the other non issues.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 7, 2016 ---
    Give you choices of different white box replacements?
    Sure, they'll bring out all the stock they have in the back and let you go through each one with a magnifying glass and a stethoscope :D
    You will not find the "perfect" iPhone.
    You'll be there every week.

19. deany macrumors 68030

deany

OP @tma888 has apple genius word so I'm sure OP will hold the genius to his word:

"The guy at the genius bar guaranteed that its not a refurb but a new phone in a white box."

But as I said earlier if its after 14 days a refurb would be fine IMHO.

I'm sure this story will have a happy ending.

20. tma888 thread starter macrumors member

tma888

Just came back from Apple store and some good things happened.
    Talked to another genius guy and explained my concern about the manufacturing week.
    He seemed genuinely interested and told me that the manufacturing dates does not really matter
    since the quality assurance on the manufacturing floors are consistent and are very strict.

Nonetheless, he pulled out 3 white boxes and even helped me check the manufacturing
    weeks. He asked me to choose from Week 38, 45 and 47.
    Of course I got the latest one Week 47.
    He even offered me to comeback again and see them if the issue is not fixed.

I am in the process of restoring right now and will let you guys know how the hissing issue pans out.
    I dont know if its the holidays that makes these guys from Apple really nice or maybe its just how
    us Canadians treat each other.

I have nothing but positive experience from Apple so far.

Cheers!:)
    --- Post Merged, Dec 7, 2016 ---

deany, I checked the replacement one I chose from Apple and here's the info from sndeep:

• Model: A1784

• Factory: F2L - China, Zhengzhou - Foxconn

• Year: 2016

• Week: 47 (21.11 - 27.11)

:)

21. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Good news. And it worked where they did allow you to select the week you wanted. Apple is more accommodating than you think. Hope your new iPhone works well.

22. C DM macrumors Westmere

23. imagineadam macrumors 6502a

I've had the same thing said to me from apple. They told me "they are the same as one you would buy off a shelf at a store only they are in a white box".
    Would you mind sharing a video or two of your hissing issue? I would like to compare it to mine.

24. tma888 thread starter macrumors member

tma888

Hello friends.

So, back up is done. Everything is up and running perfectly. And the big news is...

There is no more hissing sound on the videos. Also no buzz or any noise under full load (I downloaded 3D Mark)

Im pretty much a happy camper right now :).

And just for fun...
    I signed up for the IOS 10.2 Beta 7 and running it right now. So far so good. Seemed quite stable.

Cheers!

25. Newjackboy macrumors 6502

Some people like the "full experience" of a new iphone - and that includes the box.

Have mismatched serial numbers do affect resale value - if you're selling to a person... (if you do the online trade-ins, then of course they don't)