Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
They are not holding an in-person event for a niche product, aimed at developers.
This thing better be aimed for the general user, otherwise who really cares?

• Disagree
Reactions: alpi123

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
Except it replaces every screen you ever own... just pair your accessories (mouse keyboard controller pencil)... You will never have to own a TV, Phone, Watch, iPad, Monitors, projector etc...
Uhh, would you just walk around with a VR headset on your head? In public? How is that better than carrying a phone or a watch

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
"But I believe that internally, Apple hopes that WWDC 2021 will be its last developer conference in a purely digital format—and that the return to in-person media events will begin by early next year."
"Sometime in the next several months, the company is poised to announce a mixed reality headset, its first major new device since 2015. If possible, Apple won’t want to make such a critical announcement at an online event."

He's saying that he doesn't believe they'll go in-person until early next year, but also that there will be an in-person event in the next several months? These seem like mutually exclusive concepts to me.

diamornte

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2009
Yea, and you’ll be so distracted that you’re gonna get hit by a car in the street... no, wait, those will all be the new autonomous Apple car so no problem ??
Typical skeptical unimaginative comment about technology so new and rumored that it is misunderstood and mistaken as an object to fear and the amygdala gets triggered...fear not!

Distractions already exist today with phones and watches. This eliminates the need to look down and technology and the OS is incorporated in our worldview. It's a marriage of tech and humanity that brings the brain+eyes closer to the OS. Maybe there will be distracting notifications, but perhaps someone will figure out how to turn down the opacity of the OS.

Last edited:

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
Because you won't need to look down at your phone or watch anymore.
You do realize this is not something like Apple Glasses that would sit effortlessly and provide additional information in front of your eyes. This is an Oculus Quest competitor. A whole a^^ headset that will be strapped on your head and will have displays to look into.

Feyl

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2013
I cannot think of a reason why would I want this. Maybe Apple will surprise me but I doubt it.

fernelius

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2007
In about 10 years, Apple will combine its experience with this mixed reality headset, its AR glasses, and its health research to eliminate screens. Something like that below but, maybe, wireless and with engagement of the real world in parallel.

Neo Chair.jpeg

diamornte

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2009
You do realize this is not something like Apple Glasses that would sit effortlessly and provide additional information in front of your eyes. This is an Oculus Quest competitor. A whole a^^ headset that will be strapped on your head and will have displays to look into.
You do realize that this is iteration 1 - or patient zero for Apple's light weight glasses, so thin and light with nano tech not yet invented.

Jony Quest

Suspended
Mar 9, 2021
except good AR/VR glasses have the chance to be the last digital screen you’ll ever need or own...
That’s a pretty bold (read: insane) opinion.

Lol, not even the wackiest of cheesy sci-fi shows and movies show anything remotely like that.
Your bizarre vision of the imaginary future will NEVER come to pass. I think you watched Wall-E one too many times on mushrooms or something.
There are some really amazing real world applications, for sure... but not what you’re imagining.

Lol, I’m picturing getting a text on a 12’ screen & waving my hands around wildly to respond in your future that has abolished my choice to have screens of different sizes, some virtual & some actual.

Reactions: AlumaMac

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Except it replaces every screen you ever own... just pair your accessories (mouse keyboard controller pencil)... You will never have to own a TV, Phone, Watch, iPad, Monitors, projector etc...
Except you have to wear something on your face all the time. No thanks.

Reactions: 1258186 and LFC2020

Jony Quest

Suspended
Mar 9, 2021
Uh, oh.... looks like not only did you not read the article- you didn’t even read the TITLE??!!!

Oculus is NOT augmented reality, nor mixed reality, it is virtual reality.
Meaning it has the screens you are completely falsely claiming that the Apple one will have.

ouch.

What an embarrassing (and avoidable!) mistake. Sloooow down. Mixed reality can’t have all screens... the “mixed” means you have to be able to view standard reality as well.

This article is definitely NOT about a VR headset.

• Haha
Reactions: alpi123

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Agree waste of time and money.
And I say that as someone who wears glasses.
Uh, oh.... looks like not only did you not read the article- you didn’t even read the TITLE??!!!

Oculus is NOT augmented reality, nor mixed reality, it is virtual reality.
Meaning it has the screens you are completely falsely claiming that the Apple one will have.

ouch.

What an embarrassing (and avoidable!) mistake. Sloooow down. Mixed reality can’t have all screens... the “mixed” means you have to be able to view standard reality as well.

This article is definitely NOT about a VR headset.
Hololens is mixed reality. It’s still a big bulky piece on hardware on your head.
1617214692608.jpeg

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
I cant see this being a consumer device yet, as AR /VR is still not mainstream., I have an Oculus and it sits in the drawer - a very average experience except for games like Half Life that hammer my computer.

Also the Apole hardware isnt exactly conducive to VR..... So unless they are running the GPU in the cloud, my computer [a 16” MBP 5600m maxed] cant cope with decent VR environments [I design using realtime rendering apps].

No doubt I will get one though to play with professionally [and as long as they release some new hardware to help develop for it.....]

Reactions: trip1ex
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.