Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maxsmacs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
SK
When I first opened up my AirPods, I noticed a few things, after pairing them to the iPhone7+ (using the Apple method).

• The headphones arrived with 35%/36% and the case was 35%

I let the case charge the AirPods and I plugged the case into the lightning port. I noticed:

• AirPods charged and the case drained down to 25%.
• Even though the case was plugged in, the case did not charge.
• I plugged the case in for the first 24h (without AirPods inside) and the case did not charge. The case eventually did charge.

This led me to think about this:
Is the case chargeable, while charging? Enough power draw for full charge of both AirPods and case?

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
I don't monitor the levels all that closely. I put the headphones in at around 50-80% depending on how much I've been using, and the case charges them to 100% pretty quick while only draining about 2-5% depending on where the headphones were.

I charge the case when it gets down to about 50%, which takes about 2-3 days for me under pretty heavy use. I've charged it twice in the week I've had them. Both times, the headphones were already at 100% when I plugged up the case, and I just let it go overnight. So difficult to say if what you're experiencing is abnormal.

TBH, I wouldn't worry about it unless you're constantly finding yourself with both dead AirPods and a dead case. Charge when you need to, but it shouldn't be more than once every 2-3 days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.