Apple Airport Express Question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jason2811, Aug 4, 2010.

1. jason2811 macrumors 6502a

I'm moving into a new apartment that is hooked up with ethernet and I'd like to get a router to use my MacBook Pro wireless. I was looking at the AirPort Express.

I wanted to find out if it's possible to use the AirPort express as a router/splitter. For example, how can I set it up so that I can use my MacBook wirelessly yet have my Roku HD and XBox 360 connected by ethernet wire. Is this even possible with the Airport Express or do I need something like the Airport extreme?

Also, is it possible to just buy a splitter to connect to the wall's ethernet and still use the Airport express and other gadgets I mentioned? Thanks.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Only the Extreme and Time Capsule have this ability. The Ethernet port on the Express is WAN.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

No, it's a WAN/LAN combo. But, it can only be one at a time.

4. jason2811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh, okay. Thanks for the replies. The Extreme costs $170 which seems absurd to me. Is it worth the price? Other routers are between $60-$90.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I love my Extreme. It has great range, acceptable speeds, and it can be expanded with WDS.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I have an Extreme. I bought it because I knew it was going to be easy Mac integration (Airport settings are built-in OS X). However, initially I could not justify the price, until recently, when I had the frequency switch to 802.11n. Now I see the difference, it is worth it. Huge range, fast speed, very low latency.