Apple Already Nearing Golden Master Candidate Versions of Mac OS X Lion?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

TechCrunch reports that Apple is preparing to seed the first golden master candidate version of Mac OS X Lion to developers. While Apple may yet issue several such candidates before reaching the final version to be released to consumers, the candidate designation would suggest that Apple has essentially completed development on the new operating system version and will simply be fixing bugs that crop up at the last minute during the testing process.
Specifically, Apple is gearing up to deploy an OS X Lion update to developers that they may be classifying as the "GM1" release, we've heard. "GM" or "Golden Master" is a title reserved for software that is complete. But from what we've heard, this is only the initial Golden Master candidate. In other words, don't get too excited just yet.
Apple first previewed Mac OS X Lion at its "Back to the Mac" media event in October, and the company released a developer preview version just over a month ago. The company has stated that it plans to release Mac OS X Lion this "summer", and TechCrunch's report suggests that the launch could occur relatively early in that timeframe following a formal introduction at Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference.

Article Link: Apple Already Nearing Golden Master Candidate Versions of Mac OS X Lion?

nunes013

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
maybe they will release it in late july instead of late august like snow leopard. does anyone remember how much leopard cost. snow leopard wasnt really a new OS. just a speed bump from leopard so thats why it was $30. i just want to get an idea of what they price lion at because i heard $120 a while ago.

Riemann Zeta

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8G4)

********. If Apple is really done with Lion, then they should only be charging $29 for it (if that), like 10.6. More confusing scrollbars, tiny window controls and a better graphics/OGL support stack...add in the touch-screen readiness and you might have a quick $29 update.

I suppose, following the iOS model, Apple will likely stop charging anything for Mac OS; the OS features will revolve around new hardware features and/or gimmicks.

Last edited by a moderator:

the vj

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
Do not install it!!!!!!!!!

Wait until the first revision comes up! as always, the desperates install the new OS that come full of bugs and then complains starts "I lost all my data".

Just my 2cents.

Not to mention that this sort of upgrades just make you buying a new machine to run the system as it should.

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8G4)

Bullsh|t. If Apple is really done with Lion, then they should only be charging $29 for it (if that), like 10.6. More confusing scrollbars, tiny window controls and a better graphics/OGL support...add in the touch-screen readiness and you might have a quick $29 update.
STOP!There is always WINDOZE!:rolleyes:

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
This seems a little fast for the first GM. Maybe not such a big update after all? Where are all the secrets? The UI could use more of an overhaul IMO. This is probably just for the devs and they will bust out some fancy fancy at WWDC. I hope! Gotta have that one more thing...

I hope Lion lives up to the name and is BEAST.

calderone

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2009
Seattle
This is known as a release candidate. No reason to be throwing around "Golden Master" at this point, it is clearly just confusing people.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
So is there real resolution independence or just a x2 mode?
Neither, but there's the beginnings of support for "retina displays."

maybe they will release it in late july instead of late august like snow leopard. does anyone remember how much leopard cost. snow leopard wasnt really a new OS. just a speed bump from leopard so thats why it was $30. i just want to get an idea of what they price lion at because i heard $120 a while ago.
If they start pumping out release candidates now, I think late July is is too far away. WWDC early June is more likely.

Major OS releases have historically been $129. I don't think that'll happen this time--$99 or $79 makes more sense (Apple likes people to upgrade, and their software prices aren't as high as they used to be). But that's just me speculating.

i wonder if apple will release a version in the app store???
Almost definitely, that's how developers are getting it now.

Maybe not such a big update after all? Where are all the secrets? The UI could use more of an overhaul IMO.
It is a big update. Versions and Resume alone are huge, IMO. (Which you don't really appreciate until you start using them.)
The UI may not look radically different, but there's hardly a part of it that hasn't been retouched.

Last edited:

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
So is there real resolution independence or just a x2 mode?
This. Until this happens displays won't advance any further for actual computers (non-tablet) because there are so many form factors.

Apple can spend the time to make graphics for each flavor of iPhone or iPad because there aren't that many to deal with. It becomes a lot more difficult to do this across a large range of products. Besides, computers are getting to the point where they are too powerful for most users (hence the popularity of the iPad). A retina display option would give people more incentive to upgrade their desktops, laptops, etc. I think?

As a designer, I'd love a retina 27" ACD. 300dpi right on my screen, almost perfect. Now if we could just get the color/brightness a little more accurate...

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
Look forward to seeing what additional features where added since the last developer release.

jb510

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
Whatever happened to:
Alpha -> Beta -> Release Candidate -> Golden Master

I guess I can uncross my fingers of a file system miracle...

(yes I know and am looking forward to Z410, but would rather have Apple come up with something).

Hallivand

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Um, there's only been one release since leopard. Too soon to know if Lion will wow or not.
From the developer builds and such, there doesn't appear to be anything compelling or major to warrant anything more than a minor upgrade.

Yeah, disappearing scroll bars. A full size screen. Woo.

The UI and basic functionalities have stayed the same since Leopard, sprinkled with a bit of iOS features. Snow Leopard was a tune up, to establish the Intel line completely and such.

Yet retained most, if not all of the Leopard UI elements.

Personally, it just looks like a rough merge of iOS into the OS X environment without any refinement.

If we have to fork out $120 or something, forget it.

I guess my Leopard PowerPC Macs still look up to date then :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.