MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Only Apple knows how many iPhones are going to be delivered to each store, but based on various numbers we've heard, here is our best guess.

First, there are approximately 1800 AT&T Stores, and 164 Apple retail stores nationwide. Apple is limiting sales to 2 per person, while AT&T is limited sales to 1 per person.

We'd previously heard that Apple Stores would be getting somewhere around 1000 units, with "flagship" stores expected to get more inventory. Based on user reports, some AT&T stores have been willing to give out numbers of inventory. The numbers have ranged in the 70-90 range for the few stores polled. Assumung these numbers are to believed (which is a big assumption), that places the first day of iPhone retail inventory at 300,000-400,000 units.

To counter, one forum post claims that their AT&T store received 90 iPhones today (50 8GB and 40 4GB) with a large shipment also expected tomorrow. Forum posts are generally not very reliable sources of information, but is posted for interest. Despite these claims, it seems very unlikely that iPhones are already being delivered to AT&T stores, as Apple's security precautions to prevent premature release of the iPhone appears to be at an all time high.

Finally, there has been no official word on iPhone mail ordering, but we presume mail order sales will become open sometime Friday (June 29th) night.

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
Hard to believe that any but the largest AT&T stores getting 90 units. I could, however imagine Apple priming the system with 500,000 units.

Comment

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
I have to disagree that AT&T stores are not getting them already, they will be. We got our PS3s a week before launch. There will be enough for the poor Apple and AT&T staff to do 2mora without having to process shipments with hundreds (Thousands?) or iPhones.

Comment

ZrSiO4-Zircon

macrumors member
May 30, 2007
Washington State
half a million iPhones?
That's what... 1 phone per 600 people in the country, if we were to look at straight proportions?
That just seems like alot of iPhones to me. I get the impression that we won't see any huge shortages. But then again, that's just from a uber overly simplified ratio with huge iffy assumptions.

Comment

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
however many tysons corner apple store has reported it has, subtract one :D
thats how many you can buy

Actually, I can only buy 2. But that would only be 1) if I had the money, 2) if I needed a phone, and 3) I lived anywhere near Tyson's corner.

None of which are true.

Although I might be tempted to buy one and sell it on E-Bay for enormous profit...

Comment

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
I have to disagree that AT&T stores are not getting them already, they will be. We got our PS3s a week before launch. There will be enough for the poor Apple and AT&T staff to do 2mora without having to process shipments with hundreds (Thousands?) or iPhones.

Sony is not Apple in regards to product secrecy.

Comment

Andrmgic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
imho, Apple and Nintendo are two of the best companies at keeping secrets.

I don't think my local stores will be getting many phones, but as long as there is one for me, I'll be fine :)

Comment

sartinsauce

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2006
Los Angeles
Thing is, what about that iPhone AT&T store locator? It supposedly tells me which AT&T (Cingular) stores will sell me an iPhone. Funny that most of the stores in my area aren't listed when I type in my zip code. The two biggest stores in my area appear to be left off the iPhone sales list.

Where does this fit in to the iPhone inventory numbers? Do we really think that there are going to be 1800 x (70-90) = ~150,000 available through AT&T Retailers? I feel like any Apple Store would have a MUCH greater inventory.

Comment

Yankees 4 Life

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
College Station, Tx
My apple store told me they got in 20,000 iPhones yesterday and will get in 10 times that tomorrow. They also said something about G5 Powerbooks and the new Apple Steve Jobs Hologram Projector(reality distortion field included in the 8gb version). ;)

Where do you live man?? at the production factory in china? there is no way they get 20000... 2000, maybe if its the NYC store, but 20000 is what the entire bay area would get... not a store

[edit}: hahaha i just realized your sarcasm... I'm a moron...

Comment

yoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2003
In the Bowels of the Cosmos
My apple store told me they got in 20,000 iPhones yesterday and will get in 10 times that tomorrow. They also said something about G5 Powerbooks and the new Apple Steve Jobs Hologram Projector(reality distortion field included in the 8gb version). ;)

Oh yeah!!! but MY Apple Store said they have 250,000 iPhones since yesterday and will be receiving about 100 times that by launch time. So there....:)

Comment

newstudentut

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2007
Where do you live man?? at the production factory in china? there is no way they get 20000... 2000, maybe if its the NYC store, but 20000 is what the entire bay area would get... not a store

[edit}: hahaha i just realized your sarcasm... I'm a moron...

That's the store in Waco, TX

Comment

Karpfish

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2006
I wouldn't be surprised if 5th avenue store got in the 'hood of 10k phones.

Comment

Lazernet

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2007
Fairfield, NJ
Oh yeah!!! but MY Apple Store said they have 250,000 iPhones since yesterday and will be receiving about 100 times that by launch time. So there....:)

Actually, I just contacted my local Apple store and they said they would only be receiving 100,000 or so, but they should be gone within the first 15 minutes. However - they are hooking me up with a prototype Powerbook G5! w00t! Seriously now, this thread has just become speculation... I'm waiting for a realistic inventory indicator. A green or red light bulb on the apple website isn't going to cut it for me... Oh good, they have at least 1....

Yay

- Eric

Comment

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
Finally, there has been no official word on iPhone mail ordering, but we presume mail order sales will become open sometime Friday (June 29th) night.

engadget states that iphones will be available for online purchase at 6 pm pdt. not official, but i believe it.

Comment

macjackpro

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2006
I don't know. The AT&T store my company deals with in D.C. has a LONG waiting list (that they probably won't honor, but it gives you an idea of interest). I would guess in a major city, those stores will be treated to quite a few. (90 wouldn't do it at this store...they would need 500, though not necessarily on that day I guess...but on Monday to be sure).

Hard to believe that any but the largest AT&T stores getting 90 units. I could, however imagine Apple priming the system with 500,000 units.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.