Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple and Barclays Stop Issuing 'Apple Rewards Visa' as Product Financing Shifts to Apple Card

BorgCube

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2012
the Delta Quadrant
The bloomber article states that the barclays can be used as a regular credit card from now on.
I have a feeling they are sacking the whole apple thing completely.

Yes, they sent out a notice saying the Apple Rewards would be going away - but it still looks like it is there for me?

Comment

jlocker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2011
Lake Michigan
While the 3% cash back is a decent return, the thing I don't like is that it would essentially force me to pay full price for any Apple product since I would have to buy it directly from Apple. A couple months after the 2020 MBP came out, I picked up the 1799 model at Best Buy on sale for 1599, plus used a $50 gift card I had sockdrawered. $250 off to me is a far better return, plus double MR points on my Amex for purchases at Best Buy.

I still get my Apple Educational discount so the price is lower, so I don't pay full price with Apple, and I still get the 3 percent and 12 months financing.

Comment

cashville2400

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2011
Had one of those cards years ago. Used it once and as soon as the interest rate went up I got rid of it.

Comment

CWallace

macrumors G3
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
The bloomber article states that the barclays can be used as a regular credit card from now on. I have a feeling they are sacking the whole apple thing completely.

Could be.

The Bloomberg article also noted that the Apple Rewards program with the Barclays card ended when Apple launched their card, yet I continue to earn Apple Rewards on my card (328 last month, alone) and continue to receive iTunes Gift Cards when I hit the 1250 point benchmark. So I wonder if it just ended for people who signed up for the card after that date.

Comment

BorgCube

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2012
the Delta Quadrant
Could be.

The Bloomberg article also noted that the Apple Rewards program with the Barclays card ended when Apple launched their card, yet I continue to earn Apple Rewards on my card (328 last month, alone) and continue to receive iTunes Gift Cards when I hit the 1250 point benchmark. So I wonder if it just ended for people who signed up for the card after that date.

Yep - same here. I still am getting Apple Rewards on my Barclays card despite being told that it was going away. I just redeemed a reward last month. lol.

Reactions: AreYouIn?
Comment

igetit

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2005
Snoqualmie, WA
If the Rewards and 0% financing offers go away I may just get rid of the card when I finish paying for my iMac. Too bad, I liked the card and it was instrumental in getting my MacBook Pro 15" a couple of years back and now the last Intel iMac 27".

Hopefully Barclay will keep the benefit for current card holders. Otherwise, I guess I am getting an Apple Card.

Comment

Grohowiak

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2012
Could be.

Would be nice if they would keep it for current customers.
Cancelling all this unused credit will definitely mess with my cr.

Comment

ggibson913

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2006
I used my Barclays Card all the time for big Apple Purchases, Macs, iPads, etc. They gave a longer time to pay off, so I would finance my mac and pay the minimum until tax return time then pay it off with my refund.

Reactions: compwiz1202
Comment

PieTunes

Contributor
May 6, 2016
San Diego, CA
I still get my Apple Educational discount so the price is lower, so I don't pay full price with Apple, and I still get the 3 percent and 12 months financing.
Indeed, I know you can stack the education discount with the Apple Pay cash back that’s a great way to save, but I’m just speaking from the perspective of those who aren’t eligible for (or don’t want to risk) the education discount. The majority of people still pay the full retail price that Apple offers when they buy through them. There are simply better returns and options available from other retailers and/or forms of payment, but of course relative to one’s financial means and degree of value earned.

Comment

Grohowiak

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2012
I'm on 24 month financing for my iMac right now. Got it last Christmas.

I though apple card is 12 months max.
I don't have one (not a fan of CCs in general) but if barclays removes the benefits I'll definitely take a closer look.

Comment

KennethAdamsCom

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2019
San Jose, CA
Citizens Bank / Citizens One is going to go soon too. They are the bank that finances the iPhone Upgrade Program. So that's now another natural thing to move to Apple Card.

When I was at Apple I worked on a team that worked on that program and we had to delay launching it because Citizens systems could not reliably handle the enormous load that Apple would be throwing at them.

I suspect that bad experience may be why Apple created its own credit card later on. Creating Apple Card, dumping Barclays, and soon to be dumping Citizens, has all been parts of the roadmap to make it easier for people to buy Apple products. Making money for Apple is an extra, although always required, bonus.

• Sad
Comment

arefbe

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2010
I though apple card is 12 months max.
I don't have one (not a fan of CCs in general) but if barclays removes the benefits I'll definitely take a closer look.
No, it’s the Barclaycard that I have the 24 month interest free. Not the AppleCard.

Reactions: Grohowiak
Comment

adamjackson

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
I haven't used mine since getting AppleCard. Not going to call and cancel but certainly have already shredded it up.

Comment

DePaulBlueDemon

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2010
Last week I got an "inactivity" notice for this card and I really can not be bothered to use it for a pack of gum to keep it active and open. This has been dead since the Apple Card was released.

Comment

CureMS

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2020
As much as I like my Apple Card, I don’t trust Goldman Sachs. Last week I scheduled a payment for 9/22 (due 9/30) and Goldman locked down my account for review with no reason (no change to personal info or credit history) and with no notice. I couldn’t get them to answer my questions, reported to Better Business and saw yesterday that they unlocked the account (still no notification to me). But, the payment I scheduled is no longer scheduled so if I wasn’t paying attention my payment wouldn’t be made this month. I can’t count on the card to be active when I go to use it and I can’t count on my payment processing when I’ve scheduled it. I’ve found lots of similar complaints about them locking down accounts for review with no explanation given.

Comment

CapeCodApple

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2018
Bummed. I’ve used mine to buy interest free iMac’s, watches, and iPads with longer terms than the new card.

Comment

compwiz1202

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2010
As much as I like my Apple Card, I don’t trust Goldman Sachs. Last week I scheduled a payment for 9/22 (due 9/30) and Goldman locked down my account for review with no reason (no change to personal info or credit history) and with no notice. I couldn’t get them to answer my questions, reported to Better Business and saw yesterday that they unlocked the account (still no notification to me). But, the payment I scheduled is no longer scheduled so if I wasn’t paying attention my payment wouldn’t be made this month. I can’t count on the card to be active when I go to use it and I can’t count on my payment processing when I’ve scheduled it. I’ve found lots of similar complaints about them locking down accounts for review with no explanation given.
Plus their approval is messed up. Had no issue getting Barclays. And I think it would be dumb to end iUP. Credit requirements are a lot lower for installments than for a full credit card to buy anything.

Reactions: BorgCube
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.