Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Before it was acquired by Apple, Beats Electronics was working on a Sonos-like Wi-Fi-connected loudspeaker that would play music from services like Pandora and Spotify straight from the Internet, reports Variety. The news comes days after learning that the new Apple Music streaming service will not immediately be compatible with Sonos speakers.

beatspill.png
Beats Pill speakers​
Case in point: Beats Electronics, which Apple acquired for $3 billion last year, was working on a Wifi-connected loudspeaker that could be used to play subscription music services straight from the Internet, according to multiple sources familiar with the project. That would have put Beats in direct competition with Sonos, a Santa Barbara, Calif.-based speaker manufacturer succeeding with a very Apple-like product lineup.
The product was set to be launched during the holiday season of 2014 but was scrapped after Apple acquired Beats. The headphone maker was looking to first introduce a powerful speaker for the living room before introducing smaller, more affordable speakers for other rooms like kitchens and bedrooms. The speakers would incorporate Bluetooth alongside Wi-Fi and NFC to make music playback as seamless as possible when entering rooms. The biggest speaker would cost around $750, according to Variety.

Beats was looking to build the technology for the speakers from scratch, but ran into problems and had to switch chipset manufacturers and delay the project multiple times. Because of these issues, Apple decided to kill the project. However, another source tells Variety that Beats and Apple management have simply decided to put the project on hiatus.

It's unclear if or when the project will be revisited, especially as Variety reports that the workforce at Beats is far smaller than it was pre-Apple acquisition, with one source saying the headphone company is 50% smaller than before. Additionally, Beats chief product officer T.J. Grewal and head of loudspeaker engineering David Titzer have left the company, according to their LinkedIn accounts. In July 2014, it was reported that Apple trimmed 200 employees from Beats in areas where Beats and Apple overlapped.

Apple has discontinued speaker projects in the past, most famously the iPod Hi-Fi in 2007. More recently, the Cupertino company has had to recall Beats Pill XL speakers due to a possible fire hazard, with Apple issuing customers a $325 refund rather than replacing the units.

Article Link: Apple and Beats Scrapped Sonos-Like Speaker Post Acquisition

Jim L

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2011
The Piedmont, NC
I have to say ... I think Apple totally wasted their money on this acquisition. I have a pair of Beats headphones for workouts and I think they're awful. Not worth what I paid. I also couldn't care less about their music app.

Apple would have done better to acquire Nest, Rachio and some other companies if they really want to make their HomeKit succeed.

sshambles

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2005
Australia
The iPod HiFi is one of 3 speaker systems I use at home, the cheapest, but the sound is great, compared to other similar sized speakers. Plus, it looks ****ing beautiful. Plan on using an iPhone 4S to sit on the 30-pin connector to stream :apple:Music atop of it.

I'd have liked Apple to create a SONOS rival with Beats at some stage - AppleTV can do it, albeit with a Digital->Analog connector.

IbisDoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2010
Apple will probably acquire Sonos. They do wi-fi speaker solutions better than Apple could ever hope to.

Reactions: maxxodd

macrooster

Suspended
May 28, 2014
I have to say ... I think Apple totally wasted their money on this acquisition. I have a pair of Beats headphones for workouts and I think they're awful. Not worth what I paid. I also couldn't care less about their music app.

Apple would have done better to acquire Nest, Rachio and some other companies if they really want to make their HomeKit succeed.

You're comparing two completely different markets. Millions upon millions upon millions of people listen to music across different cultures and incomes. It was a smart decision of Apple, the former leader in digital music, to acquire a trendy company like beats.

Homekit is a MASSIVE niche product. Focusing their energies and money on that would be a complete and utter waste.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I wish Apple had bought B&O instead of Beats

I agree there appeared to be many better choices that could have been purchased for <= $3 Billion dollars. Some said it was to buy Iovine & Dre. When I saw his presentation at WWDC, I now fully understand that thinking. :eek: Perhaps they should have offered $6 Billion? And is Dre still in the mix at Apple? Wasn't he added to the executives page? Is he still there?

Some said it was about getting Beats streaming technology. I guess- at best- that's still with the jury until sometime in July or so.

Some said it was about the juicy profits on Beats Headphones. Of the three, that seems best fit today (IMO).

and halved all their prices.

Have you ever seen Apple buy a hardware company and halve their prices? That is making a very big wish.

Last edited:

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Sonos and Beats both suck balls.

Do you know what you're talking about here? I think those 2 don't belong in the same sentence. IMO Beats fits in there but Sonos is pretty much GREAT except for the Apple-like pricing. And, Sonos isn't just speakers. Look into it, they offer some pretty terrific capabilities.

nouveau-apple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2014
Beats products were never purchased for their quality. Apple just saw a chance to buy out a growing alternative to their EarPods. Why not have all the revenue go to them? And that's exactly what is happening.

ra4oasis

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010

I have a pair of Beats Solo 2, and really like them. And just because you don't care about their streaming service doesn't mean it was a bad move. I much prefer Beats Music approach to Spotify, so I'm excited for Apple Music.

Nest/Rachio, and home kit in general don't have the mass appeal of a music service. My parents for example don't give a crab about smart home stuff. But my dad loves music, so I could see him signing up for Apple Music.

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015

Before it was acquired by Apple, Beats Electronics was working on a Sonos-like Wi-Fi-connected loudspeaker that would play music from services like Pandora and Spotify straight from the Internet, reports Variety. The news comes days after learning that the new Apple Music streaming service will not immediately be compatible with Sonos speakers.

beatspill.png

Beats Pill speakers
The product was set to be launched during the holiday season of 2014 but was scrapped after Apple acquired Beats. The headphone maker was looking to first introduce a powerful speaker for the living room before introducing smaller, more affordable speakers for other rooms like kitchens and bedrooms. The speakers would incorporate Bluetooth alongside Wi-Fi and NFC to make music playback as seamless as possible when entering rooms. The biggest speaker would cost around $750, according to Variety.

Beats was looking to build the technology for the speakers from scratch, but ran into problems and had to switch chipset manufacturers and delay the project multiple times. Because of these issues, Apple decided to kill the project. However, another source tells Variety that Beats and Apple management have simply decided to put the project on hiatus.

It's unclear if or when the project will be revisited, especially as Variety reports that the workforce at Beats is far smaller than it was pre-Apple acquisition, with one source saying the headphone company is 50% smaller than before. Additionally, Beats chief product officer T.J. Grewal and head of loudspeaker engineering David Titzer have left the company, according to their LinkedIn accounts. In July 2014, it was reported that Apple trimmed 200 employees from Beats in areas where Beats and Apple overlapped.

Apple has discontinued speaker projects in the past, most famously the iPod Hi-Fi in 2007. More recently, the Cupertino company has had to recall Beats Pill XL speakers due to a possible fire hazard, with Apple issuing customers a $325 refund rather than replacing the units.

Article Link: Apple and Beats Scrapped Sonos-Like Speaker Post Acquisition

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
The most amazing speaker I have, Amazon Echo with Alexia. I am a Huge Apple Fan, however they missed the boat on this one. Echo is totally amazing and it is still in early development. Apple, pay attention, speakers are the way into home automation and driving music play.

Last edited:

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
The most amazing speaker I have, Amazon Echo with Alexia. I am a Hugh Apple Fan, however they missed the boat on this one. Echo is totally amazing and it is still in early development. Apple, pay attention, speakers are the way into home automation and driving music play.
Sigh. Just because they haven't put something out yet doesn't mean nothing is in development.

Reactions: powers74
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.