Apple and Cisco Team Up for iOS Enterprise 'Fast Lane'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 31, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today sent out a press release announcing a new partnership with Cisco, which will see the two companies teaming up to create a "fast lane" for iOS business users through the optimization of Cisco networks for iOS devices and apps. The partnership will allow iOS devices to work more efficiently in workplaces that use Cisco technology.

[​IMG]
    Through the partnership, iOS devices and Cisco networks will be optimized to work together to enhance productivity for enterprise users. Apple and Cisco are aiming to make the iPhone a better business collaboration tool for use with Cisco's voice and video environments, "providing employees with a seamless experience between their iPhone and their desk phone."

Cisco will create "experiences" tailored to iOS devices across mobile, cloud applications, and collaboration tools like Cisco Spark, Cisco Telepresence, and Cisco WebEx to improve collaborative interactions and "reinvent the meeting experience.

Article Link: Apple and Cisco Team Up for iOS Enterprise 'Fast Lane'

2. sampaul macrumors member

sampaul

How about making a new effective wifi router? I am sure this partnership can bring some good ideas to the table.

3. Unggoy Murderer macrumors 6502

4. UnusedLoginID macrumors regular

This press release is very short on the "how" it will be done and the "why" it is better than what developers are doing and better for iPhone/iPad users

5. Mac Fly (film) macrumors 65816

Mac Fly (film)

The iOS trademark is ironically licensed by Apple from Cisco.

6. StoneJack macrumors 65816

StoneJack

thats big. Apple is killing by its partnerships. First IBM, now Cisco. And Disney before that. I remember how in 90s Apple was a small niche player making small computers no one bought..beleaguered was the word..now Apple is bigger than all main computer companies combined..And bigger than Google, MS and Facebook. Bigger than biggest oil guys.
    Isn't Steve Jobs a real genius or what?? And yet it thrives to stay hungry.. :) not looking good for car guys.. swiss watch makers...music streamers..Sony and Xbox..even for TV companies...

7. lincolntran macrumors 6502a

lincolntran

This will take the internet of things to the next level since networking is the bottle neck for those types of devices.

8. winston1236 macrumors 68000

Thats a pretty vague description. Cisco will create "experiences". Meaning what?

9. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

This reminds me of the partnerships Microsoft used to do in the early 2000s. You'd get a press release with a lot of corporate nonsense speak.

10. Monique1 macrumors regular

"Killing it" how? iOS in enterprise. LOL!

11. macintoshmac macrumors 68030

macintoshmac

I think this will just pave way for businesses to demand more money from other businesses for allowing their devices to "stream through" more effectively. In India, business houses that provide data services had some time ago tried to do this - allowing a "better experience" for some e-commerce websites who would pay them money and thereby throttling the experience for users who would want to surf other e-commerce websites.

12. Kaibelf Suspended

Kaibelf

That's because it's a press release, rather than a white paper or marketing slick.

Um, most of the Fortune 500 uses iOS in the enterprise, so I'm not sure what you're laughing about.

13. StoneJack macrumors 65816

StoneJack

Yes, I remember how the Blackberry and Treo guys were making fun of iPhone..PC guys will never figure it out, they said. Where are now BB and Treo..

14. legioxi macrumors 6502a

Both companies make decent wifi routers already. What specifically are you looking for?

15. nutmac macrumors 601

That's a lot of marketing BS.

16. GenesisST macrumors 68000

GenesisST

Someone is having a nerdgasm... ;-)

17. wizard macrumors 68040

Apple is preparing the battle field for Septembers big show. I do wonder how many of these sorts of reveals we will see in the next week or so. I have this feeling Apple has more up its sleeves that a simple iPad/iPhone update.

18. Kaibelf Suspended

Kaibelf

Howso?

1. Optimized gear, which is pretty standard stuff in the industry. HP does it a lot.
    2. Cisco UC working with iOS to compete with Lync.
    3. Reworking the existing collaboration apps to something more appealing to work with in order to protect their platform.

Not very vague at all.

19. legioxi macrumors 6502a

Cisco UC already works in iOS via their Jabber apps.

20. Gasu E. macrumors 601

Gasu E.

That is quite specific. They specifically mention better integration with Cisco Spark, Cisco Telepresence and Cisco WebEx.
    As a user of two of those things, this sounds great.

21. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I suppose both good and bad experiences with your iOS device. Cisco probably posted something that explains each experience possible from Cisco. They probably have too many experiences to list.

22. nickcliborne macrumors 6502

Don't forget iPhone. Cisco had the name first but changed to IP Phone after pressure from Jobs. And Cisco purchased Selsius which had it before them.

23. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

Another blow to Dell, HP, Microsoft and others.

24. subsonix macrumors 68040

People use mobile phones in enterprise environments, integrating them with current infrastructure could be a good idea?

25. carrrrrlos macrumors 6502a

carrrrrlos

Apple logo as the letter ‘O’ in Cisco? o_O

26. BWhaler macrumors 68030

BWhaler

Great idea as long as it is technically possible to make things faster and better, and not just a marketing partnership.

Only criticism: I'm not sure I would have used the language, "fast lane." It's too closely associated with the (hopefully) failed attempt by the ISP and internet backbone providers to slow down speeds to force content providers and websites to pay additional fees. With that said, I'm not sure how many non-industry people would make that association and "fast lane" is a universally understood expression.