Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

draugminaion

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2014
Rhudaur
You ignored the huge difference in screens. The iPhone has only 1136×640 = 727,040 pixels. The Galaxy has 1920x1080 = 2,073,600 pixels, or almost three times as many. Thus:

• The iPhone uses 1570mAh / 10 hours / 727K = .00022 mAh per pixel.
  • The Galaxy uses 2800mAh / 11 hours / 2M = .00012 mAh per pixel.

The Galaxy is nearly twice as efficient in battery usage per pixel.
Pixels that are half as big using half the energy. So same efficiency per surface area.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Motorola wasn't planning on suing Apple until they got wind of Apple's pending lawsuit against them.

Motorola scrambled and managed to file first so they could set the court venue, instead of Apple being able to do so as usual.

So Motorola got off the first shot, but it was Apple who started the war.

The evidence is quite the opposite: by bidding them up, Google got Apple's consortium to massively overpay for the Nortel patents. In the end, Google paid the same price per patent.

The difference is with what came with those patents, and how they ended up

The Nortel patents came with nothing else, and all of them have ended up being assigned to a new patent troll organization. Not a great investment in the end.

--

OTOH, Google's purchase not only got the patents, but also Motorola Mobility, which came with $3 billion in cash reserves AND a cell phone company AND a settop box company AND a top R&D group AND tax write offs.

So $12.5B - $3B cash - $2.4B settop sale - $1B+ in tax writeoffs during ownership - $2.9B sale of phones to Lenovo = total payout of ~$3B for patents... PLUS...

Google kept the Motorola Advanced Technology and Projects Group, which is headed by a former DARPA director. These are the people doing things like tattoo passwords, stomach acid powered diagnostic pills, the Project Ara build-it-yourself smartphone and the Moto360 watch.

It's clear who got the better deal.

Google overpaid. No amount of spin will change that. Yesterday's settlement is an admission that those patents aren't worth that much. Now if Apple overpaid for the Nortel patents, then they overpaid, but that doesn't change the facts on Google's failed purchase of Motorola Mobility.

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Motorola wasn't planning on suing Apple until they got wind of Apple's pending lawsuit against them.

Motorola scrambled and managed to file first so they could set the court venue, instead of Apple being able to do so as usual.

So Motorola got off the first shot, but it was Apple who started the war.

The evidence is quite the opposite: by bidding them up, Google got Apple's consortium to massively overpay for the Nortel patents. In the end, Google paid the same price per patent.

The difference is with what came with those patents, and how they ended up

The Nortel patents came with nothing else, and all of them have ended up being assigned to a new patent troll organization. Not a great investment in the end.

--

OTOH, Google's purchase not only got the patents, but also Motorola Mobility, which came with $3 billion in cash reserves AND a cell phone company AND a settop box company AND a top R&D group AND tax write offs.

So $12.5B - $3B cash - $2.4B settop sale - $1B+ in tax writeoffs during ownership - $2.9B sale of phones to Lenovo = total payout of ~$3B for patents... PLUS...

Google kept the Motorola Advanced Technology and Projects Group, which is headed by a former DARPA director. These are the people doing things like tattoo passwords, stomach acid powered diagnostic pills, the Project Ara build-it-yourself smartphone and the Moto360 watch.

It's clear who got the better deal.

Lol what baloney. Google's purchase of moto was a complete waste of money for which they lost money every single qtr they owned it.

I guess anything can be spun to look positive. Somehow, I doubt Google execs were in the board meetings saying "but we got the set top business too, guys!"

Nice try, though.

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
100% Right.

I suspect the real reason for this "agreement" between Apple and Google is to avoid making a clearer case of why extreme patent reform is needed in the USA. ACTUAL reform would strip them of the benefits that a screwed up system presents them in dominating their business worlds (and I'm sure a protracted lawsuit would reveal a lot of dirty laundry on how both companies' lobbying efforts actually CREATED this broken patent system in the first place).

This is more like collusion to protect their own interests from being negatively impacted by actual real corrective measures needed in the patent world.

It used to be that the USPTO refused software patents. They were forced to accept them by political pressure and lobbying from the computer industry. The failure is political, not practical.

Yup totally agree as well. Lobbying is destroying the US from within, democracy has been turned into nothing but a sideshow clearing house for the interests of multinational giants.
Banking, oil, arms manafacturers etc etc, pretty shocking the current state of affairs. Same things happening here in the UK just to a slightly lesser degree.

Patent abuse is just going to lead to the end of patents - at least I hope so.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
You ignored the huge difference in screens. The iPhone has only 1136×640 = 727,040 pixels. The Galaxy has 1920x1080 = 2,073,600 pixels, or almost three times as many. Thus:

• The iPhone uses 1570mAh / 10 hours / 727K = .00022 mAh per pixel.
  • The Galaxy uses 2800mAh / 11 hours / 2M = .00012 mAh per pixel.

The Galaxy is nearly twice as efficient in battery usage per pixel.
Really?... "Battery usage per pixel"?

Can you show me one Anand, Ars, Tomshardware review that uses such a calculation or metric?

*Hint* you wont be able to because it makes no sense. Half dozen pr more glossed over.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Lol what baloney. Google's purchase of moto was a complete waste of money for which they lost money every single qtr they owned it.

I guess anything can be spun to look positive. Somehow, I doubt Google execs were in the board meetings saying "but we got the set top business too, guys!"

Nice try, though.

Because we should listen to you rather than the guy who actually used logic, reasoning and stats to back up his position ....
:rolleyes:

----------

Google overpaid. No amount of spin will change that. Yesterday's settlement is an admission that those patents aren't worth that much. Now if Apple overpaid for the Nortel patents, then they overpaid, but that doesn't change the facts on Google's failed purchase of Motorola Mobility.

Funny how when you are presented with an actual argument you have no response...

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Because we should listen to you rather than the guy who actually used logic, reasoning and stats to back up his position ....

----------

Funny how when you are presented with an actual argument you have no response...

Google reported a net operating loss of 645 million its first 9 months for motorola, and over a billion in losses in 2013.

They were paying a 60+% premium over closing price of moto stock and added another 30 some odd percent during negotiations. their net expenditure after everything is still around 4bn. Kdarling did nothing but pull numbers out of air.

Google makes great investments and acquisitions, moto was not one of them and anyone defending it is clueless.

Hows that for logic, reasoning and stats? :rolleyes:

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar

Can you show me one Anand, Ars, Tomshardware review that uses such a calculation or metric?

*Hint* you wont be able to because it makes no sense. Half dozen pr more glossed over.

Well, let's count screen area

iPhone 5S: 6.7 Square Inches, 1580 mAh, 10 hour
Samsung S5: 11.1 Square Inches, 2800 mAh, 11 hour

66% more screen area, 78% more battery capacity and 10% more duration

1.78/1.66=1,072

iPhone 5S and Galaxy 5S have almost the same efficiency regarding video play

----------

heir net expenditure after everything is still around 4bn

And is this big losses taking into account what they kept?

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
And is this big losses taking into account what they kept?

The patents would have to be worth over 5 billion to not make their purchase a loss. As for the Advanced tech and products group, we have no numbers to say what benefit that will be to them.

Tattooed passwords and stomach acid sounds cool, but its all vaporware right now.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
The patents would have to be worth over 5 billion to not make their purchase a loss. As for the Advanced tech and products group, we have no numbers to say what benefit that will be to them.

Tattooed passwords and stomach acid sounds cool, but its all vaporware right now.

So no, you don't have anything to back that it is a big loss taking into account what they have kept.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Well, let's count screen area

iPhone 5S: 6.7 Square Inches, 1580 mAh, 10 hour
Samsung S5: 11.1 Square Inches, 2800 mAh, 11 hour

66% more screen area, 78% more battery capacity and 10% more duration

1.78/1.66=1,072

iPhone 5S and Galaxy 5S have almost the same efficiency regarding video play
"screen area" has no relevant meaning. Erroneous, jibberish.

Are the panels using the same technology?
Same number of sub-pixels?
Same brightness, NITS?
Is the video source the same? 1080P, then one handset would be processing a down conversion.
720P, then both up converting to two different resolutions.
Etc
Etc

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008

What ever makes Samsung look good. But we can spin this the other way by checking energy consumption per sqaure inch.

1570 / 10 / 4 = 39.25
2800 / 11 / 5 = 50.9091

It appears like the Galaxy uses 30% more energy per square inch even though it uses an AMOLED screen, which are known for lower power consumption compared to LCD.

50.9091 / 39.25 = 1.29705

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
What ever makes Samsung look good. But we can spin this the other way by checking energy consumption per sqaure inch.

1570 / 10 / 4 = 39.25
2800 / 11 / 5 = 50.9091

It appears like the Galaxy uses 30% more energy per square inch even though it uses an AMOLED screen, which are known for lower power consumption compared to LCD.

You aren't taking pixel density into account....power consumption is proportional to screen size AND pixel density.

slapple

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2008
Hmm, I thought Steve Jobs said Apple would use all their cash in the bank to destroy the "stolen" Android platform. Didn't happen.

draugminaion

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2014
Rhudaur

1570 / 10 / 4 = 39.25
2800 / 11 / 5 = 50.9091

The thing that started all this is my notion that the Java type setup (Byte code interpreter, just in time compilation, garbage collector) of Android is inherently less efficient than iOS (full native code, reference counting). Using video playback time, like I did, is clearly quite useless for showing that.

But, if I go with your calculation, where the Galaxy uses 30% more energy, while the screen should be using less, you could say that this 30% is being used by other components. That would be mostly CPU and RAM, which is what you would need to compensate for the overhead of a VM,JIT and GC.

In which case I could still be right about android being inherently less power efficient than iOS.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar

1570 / 10 / 4 = 39.25
2800 / 11 / 5 = 50.9091

AMOLED has way higher power consumption than LCD when not showing black pixels

kdarling

macrumors P6
The thing that started all this is my notion that the Java type setup (Byte code interpreter, just in time compilation, garbage collector) of Android is inherently less efficient than iOS (full native code, reference counting).

Using video playback time, like I did, is clearly quite useless for showing that.

Yep, good point.

Partly because Java is not involved, as both players are likely written in C.

And partly because there's too much variation in screen sizes, resolution, display type.

I didn't say anything about whether or not Google overpaid, I simply pointed out that they paid a lot less than most people think. But okay, let's look at it:

The patents are still worth something, because without cross-licensing, Apple will still have to pay Motorola (Google) for their SEPs... including back pay for the past seven years.

As far as keeping the Advanced Technologies group, $3B or so is what Apple just paid for Beats. I think I'd take the Moto 360, Project Ara, and thousands of patents over that.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
But, if I go with your calculation, where the Galaxy uses 30% more energy, while the screen should be using less, you could say that this 30% is being used by other components. That would be mostly CPU and RAM, which is what you would need to compensate for the overhead of a VM,JIT and GC.

In which case I could still be right about android being inherently less power efficient than iOS.

Diagonal distance is a very poor measure of surface area. The premise here is "I'm right", now all that needs to be done is finding supporting arguments. :D

A 4x4 square has the same surface area as a 1x16 rectangle. The diagonal distance though is 5.65 and 16.03 respectively.

You aren't taking pixel density into account....power consumption is proportional to screen size AND pixel density.

Yeah, which is why the battery life is so much worse on the retina iPhones compared to the non retina models. Oh wait, it isn't, it's the same.

AMOLED has way higher power consumption than LCD when not showing black pixels

Maybe true if all pixels are white, for typical use however, not in my experience. I recently switched out an LCD character display here to an OLED, the OLED part has significantly lower power consumption. But this is a rediculous discussion, unless we know the power consumptions of these particular displays it's all speculation, it's also speculation that isn't even supporting the original argument about Java. In the end what matters is the amount of hours that you get out of a device.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010

1570 / 10 / 4 = 39.25
2800 / 11 / 5 = 50.9091

At the end of the day does it really matter how much power is drawn from the S5 when it last longer than iPhone and charges faster than iPhone? Even the HTC M8 beats the S5. Don't take my word for it; look at Anandtech own testing.
I don't see the argument here.
So many people here have this misconception that battery life for Android phones are horrible. While true a few years ago Android OEM's have passed Apple in battery life and charge times.

Attachments

• 62487.png
    62487.png
    30.9 KB · Views: 67
  • 62585.png
    62585.png
    33.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 62586.png
    62586.png
    31.3 KB · Views: 63

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
At the end of the day does it really matter how much power is drawn from the S5 when it last longer than iPhone and charges faster than iPhone?

Read the last sentence of my last post and you have your answer.

Your examples have larger batteries, so it's hardly surprising. In the extreme case size (and weight) also matters of course.

draugminaion

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2014
Rhudaur

Your examples have larger batteries, so it's hardly surprising. In the extreme case size (and weight) also matters of course.
Exactly. Using the anandtech numbers an iPhone 5S with a Galaxy S5 battery would get 15 hours of web browsing.

But.
Where to put that battery?
The iPhone would need to be bigger. And since fatter is a nono that means taller and wider, so bigger screen. That screen would eat a lot, maybe all, of those gains.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK

You also seem to be forgetting that an Android homescreen isnt just a grid of static apps. There cold be widgets updating using battery as well.

Have a look at the comparison on PhoneArena - http://www.phonearena.com/news/Gala...lagship-has-the-endurance-of-a-tablet_id55077

We measure battery life by running a custom web-script, designed to replicate the power consumption of typical real-life usage.

Galaxy S5 - 8hr 20 min (Excellent)
iPhone 5S - 5hr 2 min (Average)

The Galaxy S5 is only just beaten on battery life by the iPad Air which lasted 8 hr 38 min.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.