Apple and IBM Introduce Ten Business-Focused 'IBM MobileFirst' iOS Apps

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 10, 2014.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Following a partnership announced over the summer, Apple and IBM have today introduced the first in a line of mobile business apps that target a wide range of industries and businesses. Dubbed "IBM MobileFirst for iOS", the suite of ten apps hopes to "bring IBM's big data and analytics capabilities to iPhone and iPad users."

With the initial batch including apps focused on the finance, air-travel, and banking industries, IBM also confirmed a few clients including Citi, Air Canada, Sprint, and Banorte will support the MobileFirst program starting today.
    [​IMG]

One of the ten apps, Sales Assist, is retail-focused and, for example, allows workers to view customer profiles with extensive back-history on previous purchases to help make informed suggestions tailored to specific users. It can also check a store's inventory, find missing in-store items, and ship items unavailable in-store to customers at home. There's one app that grants pilots easier control over flight manifests and schedules, another that provides personalized in-flight services for passengers, and multiple apps focused on banking and case advisers.

The apps, built exclusively for iPhone and iPad, "are delivered in a secure environment, embedded with analytics and linked to core enterprise processes." The two companies ensure that the apps can be developed and adjusted to fit any company, and once out in the wild are easily managed and upgraded thanks to cloud services provided by IBM. All apps are highly secure as well, and the partners promise that more apps are "being continuously designed and developed" for release in the future.
    The official websites of both Apple and IBM provide a deeper dive into the program with extensive looks into each of the ten apps announced today.

Article Link: Apple and IBM Introduce Ten Business-Focused 'IBM MobileFirst' iOS Apps

2. usersince86 macrumors 6502

usersince86

Hoping for the best! Apple needs an increased foot in the enterprise arena.

3. LostMyiPhone macrumors 6502

4. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

Moonjumper

Smartphones are really about the software. The hardware is just an enabler for that. This move should make iOS stronger. The line is becoming much more than an iToy.

5. TWSS37 macrumors 65816

6. rekhyt macrumors 65816

Why? Just for Apple to gain marketshare in the enterprise arena and decide to scale back in the consumer market?

Also, if enterprise is so good... What happened to Blackberry? ;)

7. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Some of those apps look really nice. If they were designed by Apple can we get those folks to start working on Apple's first party iOS apps?

8. thekeyring macrumors 68040

Really love what Apple is doing with iOS. Features like control centre, technologies like Metal and Extensibility, and now this enterprise stuff. Great! Frustrated people hate on iOS for being "dumb" or "*****".

9. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Just more evidence you don't need a keyboard and Microsoft office to be productive.

10. Intelligent macrumors 6502a

Intelligent

Oh, i wonder how much Apple takes part in this.

11. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

Now how about apple make iOS for the iPad that's more then a blown up iPhone iOS

Embarrassing having a 3x3 folder grid on a 10" iPad Air 2 screen

12. Trik, Dec 10, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2014

Trik macrumors 6502

Apple happened to Blackberry. Personally, as an enterprise IT professional, we lost a LOT of control over granularity and data security with the switch from Blackberry to Apple. These apps, as well as a focus on enterprise, is a very welcome change. I would love to see some of the features from Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES) return. Mobile Device Management in an Apple world leaves a lot to be desired. I definitely welcome this shift (or increase) in focus with open arms!

13. GreenPixel macrumors member

GreenPixel

Success in one market does not require failure or even a decrease in another market.

BB did not fail simply because their market was primarily enterprise. They failed due to not adapting to market changes.

14. Macrolido macrumors regular

Macrolido

It's good to know a mexican bank is taking advantage of this alliance.

15. Hagrid macrumors member

Hagrid

Sales App

I would really like a sales app that caters to business-to-business and strategic sales.

Come on IBM/Apple....I'm waiting :)

16. Daalseth macrumors 6502a

Blackberry's history will be taught in business schools as an example of how to totally blow it. They were on top, got complacent, fell behind, and are trying, albeit unsuccessfully, to get back in the game.

17. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Looks like IBM is doing the heavy lifting with Apple providing UI design advice.

18. elmateo487 macrumors 6502a

Hhuuummmm. Trying to decide if I should click on the Apple or IBM link for a tour of these apps. Tough choice.

19. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

Going to be crushing the enterprise competition with stuff like this. Others are really struggling to produce enterprise apps and when they do, they've generally been focused on the office worker rather than the workers in the field where the mobility of tablets and smartphones is really needed.

20. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

If consumer is so good... What happened to Nokia? ;)

21. teslo macrumors 6502a

teslo

well, IBM made it a simple one - their site is broken past the splash page (for me anyway).

22. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

And, you know.....the whole platform of iOS devices ;)

23. sracer macrumors G3

sracer

Perhaps. Or maybe IBM knows something that you don't. ;)

24. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

Some of these apps actually look pretty neat. Let's hope the actual implementation with IBM's cloud is better than iCloud. This is a solid starting lineup to reach into many markets. I'm surprised to be seeing this so quickly. The retail one talking about iBeacons makes a whole lot of sense. Would be great to just tap a button on my phone and somebody comes over to help me with an iPad when I ask them "Do you have any X in stock?" and instead of having to wander off to the backroom for 10 minutes they can just pull it right up and go get it. Or tell me it's in a truck and will be stocked at 2pm on Tuesday.

25. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Finally something to truly compete with BlackBerry and BES. We'll see how this performs in comparison.