Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

El Hikaru

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2013
Wow so, the new headquarter apple is building is in fact the Enterprise. I thought it looks like one.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
This might be the first one that actually makes Steve Jobs roll in his grave.

Why? Also why should anyone care what Jobs wanted at this point? It's a publicly owned company where many others work. A few remaining people need to get over the fact that he's gone.

StoneJack

macrumors 68030
Dec 19, 2009
This is incredible combination. Apple was very lacking in enterprise. Now, they are going to get it - the backbone of industry, Fortune 500, not just as client devices but managing devices. IBM had no presence in mobile: they will get 700 million client devices (iOS). Its a marriage made in heaven :)

StyxMaker

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.
As suspicious as the Foxconn factory worker conditions are at least Apple, unlike IBM wasn't directly connected to the cataloging and analysis of German concentration camp inmates: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_and_the_Holocaust

What, axactly, does that have to do with IBM today? Are the same people running the corporation today?

----------

Wait til the enterprise customers realize they can't even reply to an email and add an attachment.

You've seen the App that IBM has written to access their mail servers?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
As a product market innovator? No.

As a primary computing technology researcher? Yes! and their patent suite is impressive.

As a legacy Fortune 400 IT support firm? Very much so.

I would not be surprised this came after a long hard three-way shoot out between Android, Windows Mobile and iOS.

Watson isn't innovative? Or is that not considered a product?

iOSaddict

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2014
In enterprise, IBM is still very relevant.

I wonder if Apple can leverage some of IBM's great technology, like Watson for example, to improve their services.

It's pretty ironic though that at the beginning, IBM was the "enemy."

the same irony as Apple and Google used to be partners.

jhwalker

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2011
According to Forbes Apple has ~160 Billion in liquid cash I found an article that states IBM's net worth is 114 Billion. So it sounds like they could to me...

IBM market cap is $190B. An outright purchase would command a large premium over and above this. So no.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Where do Apple and IBM even compete, except for IBM making laptops like everybody else?

:confused: IBM doesn't make laptops.

----------

This could be a very fruitful partnership for both sides, BUT...

IBM apps for iOS are rubbish. They can't design an app to save their lives. I really hope they get their **** together before inflicting their apps on enterprise users.

According to IBM's website:

Right now, engineers, designers, and developers from both organizations are working on more than 100 end-to-end mobile solutions, including a new category of mobile apps, that are ready for the enterprise.

StoneJack

macrumors 68030
Dec 19, 2009
Just a fraction of what IBM can do: basically they provide industry IT backbone for those who manage billions of dollars of production and trade, as such they have incomparable security and strength. Now comes with iOS preinstalled :)

IBM’s portfolio of Enterprise Services allows customers to
Safeguard information assets, pursue new business initiatives securely, proactively manage risk - IBM’s Enterprise Services help businesses better manage risks through virtual and physical access control, managed security services, internet security systems, professional security services and compliance related services. IBM has the largest proprietary security knowledge base globally.

Enable new capabilities by integrating voice, video and data communications - IBM’s Enterprise Services enable customers to improve collaboration in a cost-effective manner, with turn-key solutions such as Unified Communications, Contact Centre Management, IP Telephony, and Mobility services.

Build resiliency across your business - IBM provides business continuity and resiliency services to help businesses meet their IT availability requirements, enabling faster recovery from a disaster and preparing organisations to cope with unplanned exigencies.

Get more out of your IT and critical assets by Improving alignment with business priorities -Efficiently track, monitor, manage IT and non-IT assets across the enterprise by leveraging IBM’s proprietary Service Management capabilities based on our Tivoli™ software suite. Our Service and Asset Management solutions enable a Smarter Planet by leveraging instrumentation, an inter-connected infrastructure, and business intelligence.

Enterprise Security
Security and Privacy Services help you manage IT risk while achieving business innovation.

Compliance Management
IBM Governance, Risk and Compliance Services can help customers evaluate their existing security practices in the context of requirements and future objectives, including technical and business considerations.

Integrated Communication Services
Leverage the advances made in communications and networking infrastructure to create business advantage in an extremely competitive environment.

Service and Asset Management
Simplify control of your IT environment with portal-based dashboards and standardized processes of advanced IT service management capabilities.
more
Business Continuity and Resiliency Service
Business continuity planning and disaster recovery services to minimise IT infrastructure downtime and its impact on business operations.

Why Choose IBM
IBM is a world leader in enterprise management services with over four decades of experience in helping businesses manage and protect their critical data, IT infrastructure and facilities. IBM is also a pioneer in network integration services and has helped clients world over leverage the benefits of converged communications.
IBM has over 150 data centres spread across 54 countries globally and therefore are better able to address enterprises’ business continuity and disaster recovery concerns better than any other organization.

IBM manages multi-vendor environments with over 200 IT hardware/software partners - with a 100% record of recovering clients from declared disasters
The world’s largest proprietary security knowledge base, focused on security excellence (IBM ISS X-Force)

Superior streamlined data migration designed to reduce disruptions to your business (IBM Softek& TDMF& - Transparent Data Migration Facility)
Over 3,000+ security & risk management patents
40 years of proven success securing the zSeries environment
9 Security Operations Centres + 9 Security Research Centres

jhwalker

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2011
IBM is best at taking over IT operations and development from companies and then outsourcing development work to locations with lower wages.

The employees transferred over to IBM are RA'd (laid off) and IBM then profits from the wage arbitrage.

IT outsourcing is <25% of IBM's business.

----------

Where do Apple and IBM even compete, except for IBM making laptops like everybody else?

??

IBM has not made laptops in many years. They sold their PC business to Lenovo 10 years ago.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
I think this might be aimed straight at Microsoft. Considering Microsoft is trying to remake itself as the "Mobile and Cloud First" company, not to mention their vast enterprise and cloud platform thats available.. Apple is making some interesting moves....

Well done Mr.Cook.. Well Done. I like your style.. :)

Rockies

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2011
Cmon Tim? The change from Flight Manuals to Ipads are saving the airlines money on fuel. Give me a break. Worked in the airline industry and they weigh less than 2 pounds.

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
IBM is still relevant?

What kind of question is this? lol

----------

In enterprise, IBM is still very relevant.

I wonder if Apple can leverage some of IBM's great technology, like Watson for example, to improve their services.

It's pretty ironic though that at the beginning, IBM was the "enemy."

Beginning of what? Apple *DID* ally with IBM ("AIM Alliance") for years :p Where do you think the PowerPC's came from for 12 years? ;)

----------

Kinda cool considering Apple and IBM used to be in bed together with the development, design, etc on the PowerPC G5

Not to mention well before then :p

ibm-PPC601FD-080-2.jpg

(That's attached to the logic board of a Power Mac)

danielsutton

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2011
I thought he came to apple from compaq.

Edit: we're both right. He spent 12 years at IBM before a short stint at compaq before apple.

Yes, awesome :) I am glad that we are both right :) Cook has extensive experience at IBM, as well as experience at Compaq, two companies with deep roots in enterprise computing. One interesting thing, though, is that Macs are not part of this partnership. My guess as to why this is is that Macs are premium machines that are priced above what most companies want to pay for, with most of their traction in video and audio production houses, as well as other organizations that need the extra power of the Mac. Most companies buy computers that are just good enough to run their spreadsheets, word processors, and database applications, without the need for the added graphics, audio, and processing horsepower that Macs bring to the table.

However, as this partnership rolls out, there may in fact be a "halo effect" that draws customers to the Mac, especially since Apple has added Continuity features to OS X Yosemite, making iOS and Mac work very closely together in ways that they have not before... What do you think? :)

----------

Miss Steve. Apple ain't as cool or the same without him. Thus, this kinda news instead of actual cool products.

This will increase the amount of business software available on Apple platforms, possibly event he Mac. Apple has added Continuity features to OS X Yosemite and iOS 8, which make iPhones and Macs work together more closely than they ever have. So the halo effect may bring more people to Mac, which will bring more software options to Mac, which will benefit everyone an drive innovation in new cool technology. This is a win for everyone!

liavman

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
"unlocking mobility in the enterprise."

Hope such enterprisy talk stays with Ms. Rometty and Mr. Cook does not pick up those bad habits! That will be a sign of a good partnership

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
I work in a 250,000 employee corporation. Believe or not, the main official mobile device here is still BB. However, nobody uses it, and everybody has found a way to use corporate applications on iOS (and now increasingly Android) devices under BYOD policies.

Of course that is with the permission and support of IT department, which is also doing a lot of inarticulate things to keep up with that demand (third party apps, platforms that run under iOS and support company specific AppStores that not always work properly, etc)

If Apple and IBM put order into that chaos and provide a seamless experience under a secure environment, they will win.

Also, remember that IBM is contributing something very important to this partnership: easy access to big corporate CIOs

I like this...

I'm right there with you. There is a huge potential benefit to companies and their employees if they get this right.

henzpwnapple

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2009
I would like Apple take on a partnership with Microsoft to take on Google and make them irreverent.

Yesterday I started using Bing instead of Google and I like it a lot. And I changed my e-mail from Gmail to Outlook.com. Not as good, but it get's the job done and I don't have to worry about Google having all my info.

Good bye Google!

So you think Bill doesn't do that? :p Face it.

liavman

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
Cmon Tim? The change from Flight Manuals to Ipads are saving the airlines money on fuel. Give me a break. Worked in the airline industry and they weigh less than 2 pounds.

la_te_xi_t_12.jpg

That is why American Airlines claimed that they will be saving 1.2 million a year because they expected a net reduction of 14.5 kilo grams.

This also tells me that they can save a few more millions if they insist that passengers visit the bathroom before they board the plane

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.